• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes First time post: What would be the best optic?

kujo1016

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2008
Idaho
Just got a new Rem 700 SPS tact. .308, and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and which optics they would recommend. Im looking in the $300-600 range, as i would be buying a leupold mk4 if i could afford it! I apologize for this most likely 'typical question from a "noob"' but any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks

Kujo out.

Re: First time post: What would be the best optic?

Thanks for that info! Looks awesome, Ill have to go to their site to check out products with a little more mag, maybe you know of something with 4-12x, or even 4.5-14? Also had a friend tell me about a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 mil-dot, tac-turrets, any input on something like that? Not sure the 'reputation' of nikon.

falcon menace, nikon, millet, super sniper(SWFA)

KuJo,

Sure; here you go:

Optics Warehouse, UK - Falcon scope line

Enough magnification for even the most picky mag. whore. Plenty of good reviews on the Falcon Menace line, just do a search.

This is a UK web sight, and you can order from them, and shipping runs about $44.00 or so to the US, and delivery time is about 7 business days. But RW Snyder here in the US also carries Falcons:

RW Snyder

Best of Luck,

Bob

In that price range, Falcon 4-14 or 5-25 FFP.

Falcon 4-14 FFP for matching turrets/reticle.
SWFA SS for longest track record of best bang for the buck intro scope.

sweet, thanks everyone!! i think ill go for the falcon... although my new dreams are set on the Horus.. that reticle looks awesome!
~Kujo

Unless you like pissing away your money on junk then don't get a Horus. The reticle is awesome but the scopes are junk.

You can get the reticle in a real scope if you want to. Save your money up and get it in a USO.

I suggest you wait. why spend money on an inferior product. I know you want to start shooting but, you would be much better off by saving up for something of better quality(that you can sell later).

Keep saving and get a used Lupy MK4, older VXIII LR/T versions or other like scope, Nikon, Zeiss,etc... Then you can work your way towards more high end scopes like Nightforce, USO, S&B etc...

Check the rifle pic threads. You don't see too many if any of the inferior scopes.

The rule of thumb is to spend the same amount of dollar on glass that you spend on the rifle.

I had a buckmaster 4.5-14 and the slightest bump would lose zero.

Put up with it as long as I could, and now that the rifle's being rebarreled i'll be likely putting a falcon on top until the money's saved up for a Nightforce or other such optic.

/agree with Joe, I've been looking into a starter scope as well and was nearly set on the SWFA SS.

I don't know how it is in Idaho, but in my part of Texas it's damn near impossible for me to find a used MK4 10x -- maybe thats just an indication of the attrition rate on them.

Other than trolling SH, anyone from the DFW area have any suggestions on places with decent prices?

What MK 4 are you looking for? I have several that I need to move.

Thanks,
Mark

Looking for a MK4 10x M1 with a TMR..
Maybe one of the FFP variables. I'd read a little bit about the issues with ranging through a variable scope without a FFP. That false?

Sweet, thanks for the advice ninpo! Hadnt heard much about horus as far as quality, but its the first reticle like that i have seen, and you're right i can get it put on a scope... thanks again, now we're back to leupy for 'realistic dreams'. What is so good about USO? Ill go check them out online.

You may also want to look into a WOTAC. I have one on my rifle and have been very pleased with it, especially for the price.
here it is on my rifle
Myrifle009.jpg

you can check them out here http://sightwonders.com/wonderopticstactical.html

I've got a Falcon for sale/trade in the WTT/WTB section. check it out and let me know.

Kinnamon

Just wondering if you were having trouble with the Nikon Buckmaster why not turn it in on warranty. Nikons got a "Full" Lifetime Warranty. I own a couple of Buckmasters and never had an issue with zero.

There are a couple of Mark 4's in the "for sale" section, they might be close to you price range.