• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time prairie dog hunting

Rancid Coolaid

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 10, 2007
    Houston, TX.
    As the topic says, first time. I've read a bit, but it tends to come from either the centerfire crowd or the air rifle crowd - am more interested in those that hunt and put less emphasis on the specific tool.

My plan is a few workhorse ARs in 556 and a 22 air rifle and a 243AI for long, long pokes on dogs? I have a 6.5 grendel that could make the trip, if warranted - and could pivot to a whole new arsenal if there is some big aspect of this not yet considered. I am planning so scope up my ARs for this, and take rifles with 16+ inch barrerls - all suppressed.

The hunt will be late summer with a small group of friends, and none of us have hunted prairie dogs before, though all of us have hunted far larger prey on multiple continents.

Suggestions welcomed - preferably from people that have experience in prairie dog hunting.

As the topic says, first time. I've read a bit, but it tends to come from either the centerfire crowd or the air rifle crowd - am more interested in those that hunt and put less emphasis on the specific tool.

My plan is a few workhorse ARs in 556 and a 22 air rifle and a 243AI for long, long pokes on dogs? I have a 6.5 grendel that could make the trip, if warranted - and could pivot to a whole new arsenal if there is some big aspect of this not yet considered. I am planning so scope up my ARs for this, and take rifles with 16+ inch barrerls - all suppressed.

The hunt will be late summer with a small group of friends, and none of us have hunted prairie dogs before, though all of us have hunted far larger prey on multiple continents.

Suggestions welcomed - preferably from people that have experience in prairie dog hunting.
    .204 ruger in an AR platform would be great too. Sounds like you are on the right track. Take more ammo.........however much you are taking......take more. If you have a constant wind you can dial it and then just hold over for distances. We were fortunate that there were plenty to keep us busy.

It is some of the most fun I have ever had shooting in my life. Enjoy and have a good spotting scope to watch your buddies kill shots!

On the subject of air rifles, the PCPs in .22 and .25 caliber are quickly becoming favorites in the prairie dog world and in the world of small game/varmints in general. These new beasts aren't your grand daddy's Red Ryder.

My brother and I use our .223s on sage rats (less than half the size of prairie dogs) out to 600 yards, no reason to include the 243 unless you want to. Might be too much recoil to watch impacts, which is most of the fun.

P

Reactions: JimTN
    We approach them 2 ways. The more secluded and wary ones tend to get the long range 6mm flavor. Taking one off a mound at 800+ yards is something to be proud of.

The ones that aren't as secluded and are used to people but not shooting, suppressed 22s (pistol is handy for the curious ones that like to pop up 5 yards away from you) and suppressed ARs with 50-55 grn varmint bullets.

We rotate through guns. 4-5 guns per guy at least to keep the barrels from melting down.

Never tried an air rifle. Sounds interesting.
    i have used a 17hmr and they work, but they don’t do the acrobatics like with the 223, 204, and especially my 6x47 lapua with 70gr projectiles!
    ARs work fine but you have to load mags and catch brass and they get really dirty with suppressors. I now use single loaded bolt actions. We shoot some within 100 yds, but most are 150 to 400. (Longer for an occasional challenge.) we have been going in the spring with lots of pups just coming out. And I agree with above - what ever ammo you expect to shoot take a lot more. We shoot until noon for 3 days, and typically go through about 150 to 200 rounds a day.

Reactions: Bender
    The 22 air rifle may be a waste. I've shot them with a 22LR, but even with high velocity ammo, you have to be pretty close to kill them.

243AI is a great caliber. I like the 87 Vmax in mine. Keep the barrel cool or you'll kill it pretty quick.

Take twice the amount of ammo you think you'll need.....add 20% more and throw in a couple boxes after that.
    As @chevy_man said, take a few rifles and rotate them due to heat.

Redmist hunting is fun as hell and headshots at 500+ yards are very gratifying.

Used to be farmers would gladly let you hunt their land.....but asswipes shooting cattle ruined that for everyone.

Reactions: waveslayer
    There was a time when we hauled every gun we could fit in the truck, now it’s down to a .17hmr, a few .223 bolt rifles and one long range varmint gun for late in the day. More ammo is better than more guns. The last time we went 3 of us shot 800 rounds of .223…

Reactions: 458win
    I had a magical place to shoot prairie rats for about 10 years. My calibers included: 17 remington, 17HMR, 17M4, TAC 20 (223 necked down to 20, and my favorite), 223, 221 fireball, 22-250 6-250, and 243AI. If you are shooting at a place where the dogs are thick barrels heat up and also foul fast, be prepared to switch guns and switch often and bring cleaning gear into the field. Wish I knew then what I know now about scopes, reticles, balistics, etc. I shot all bolt actions, maybe went out once or twice with an AR but the spring noise drove me crazy. I liked to stand on my bumper and shoot off the roof of my SUV with bipods and bags. Every once in a while I'd re-orient the vehicle or drive further into the towns. I miss it, it was a shit load of fun. Jeff

Attachments

• Bryant 243 AI Cooper 22-250.JPG
      Bryant 243 AI Cooper 22-250.JPG
      295.6 KB · Views: 54
    Last edited:
    A 17HMR on a pdog at 100yds might be a bit sketchy IMO. I've shot sage rats at 125 yds or so with the 17HMR, and had some runners and wounded ones. Under a 100 yds, sage rats are DRT with the 17HMR. Pdogs are bigger, so take that into acct. 20 Practical is another good round to have, works well in the AR platform, doesn't eat a barrel as quickly as the 204R with the same basic performance/results. You can run the 20P at 4K fps just like the 204R, but barrel life will be shorten. Both shoot the 32-40g bullets flat, so the red mist effect is good in the 3500 fps range on up.

we have been doing this for around 10yrs now. 223 55s seem to over penetrate imo..all 20 cal flavors are Fantastic to around 350 or so depending on wind. We used to bring piles of ars in 223 now just maybe one. Moved to 20practical in ar, 204r and a few 6mm and 6.5 variants for the long shit, all bolt guns. Last year even brought a smokeless muzzleloader for fun. Lol O and all of us now have 17wsms far better than the hmr version.
    Bring a couple steel plates for when things get slow late in the day and you don’t have enough time to move. And beer lots of beer!! 😜

If you can find an old barbers chair, dismount the seat, bolt the swivel base in the bed of your truck and build a shooting bench on it. You will thank me later.

Reactions: ZY100
    Another important ingredient in the rifle equation is that with the exception rimfires everything should have a break, even the slightest jump in recoil and you will miss the fireworks.

We shoot 17 hmr’s, 20 practical or tactical, and 223’s. All detach mag feed suppressed bolt guns, even the 17’s. Really depends on the volume you’ll see. The bigger stuff is a total waste if you're shooting in a target rich area. Way too much heat.

A good bench/seat is a must.

Edit: If we have friends that dont shoot suppressed, theyre not getting invited.

we use portable benches that swivel. Put one in the back of the truck and a couple more on the ground. Absolutely love this set up for an all day shoot. Be sure to bring whatever tools you use for minor gun work (loose action screws and scopes) can ruin a good time real quick.

A .22lr because the ammo is cheap, you're there to have fun, its reasonable to get 100yards from them (if they arent shot at a lot), and they aren't as skittish if you miss close.

And an accurate .223 for all else. Suppressed. If I could only bring one, it's this.

If you want to try your hand at them 400+ yards away, bring whatever is accurate.

Shooting mat and bi-pod/rear bag if you can get a slightly elevated position. Tripod that you can mount your rifle via arca or hog saddle etc... set up in the bed of your pick-up for height advantage. Rim fire is pretty useless for most prairie dog towns, 20, 223, 6mm center fires preferably bolt action. Think your average PRS set up is about perfect for prairie dogs shooting from a tripod. Tools, cleaning gear, more ammo than you think you need then triple that.....

I used a 6.5 SAUM once, everything was over 300 yards. It was amazing to see them explode! You're on the right track, but being several guns I had to rotate because of heat
    IMG_3217.JPG

OP said it will be a late summer shoot. Pups will be be grown and smarter. A LD rifle will be what you will be using the most and suppressed will help but still after the 1st shot most will be down the hole. Then its a waiting game. If you're going to SD, west of Mission is a small tribal town named Parmalee, just go north at the dump and you won't be diasapointed. Just remember it won't be like a spring shoot.

Used to meet up with friends in central Wyoming to shoot P-dogs. Had a rancher who let us shoot on his land and land he leased, and we covered a lot of country. Generally we had 4 to 8 of our kids with us which changed up how we set up to shoot so we could get them into shooting positions. Having folding tables or shooting tables worked well. You need some elevation as opportunities to shoot prone can be really limited due to sage brush or other plant growth. Oh, and watch out for rattle snakes.

As we had to drive through a lot of country on the ranch to get to various areas, so lots of "drive by shooting" occurred. We would stop the truck or suburban, and shoot out the windows using a section of foam pool noodle on the window to rest the gun. Range on these would vary from 20 to a couple hundred yards.

The wind, at least in Wyoming, is a huge factor. I remember one time holding off 12+ inches on a 100 yard shot because of the wind and it still wasn't enough. We didn't stay at that location long because it was mostly a waste of ammo. If the wind is blowing hard, find a place to shoot into or with the wind as it won't cause your shots to drift as far.

For guns and calibers we basically took about everything we had, 17 HMR, 22 lr, 22 Hornet, 5.7x28, 223, 22-250, 220 Swift, 243, 250 Savage, 270, 308, and in handguns, 22 lr, 9mm, 40 S&W and 44 mag. 17 HMR worked well out to 150 yards with no or minimal wind If the wind was blowing, hits at 100 yards were very lucky with a 17. If you are set up well off a bench or the hood of a vehicle, you can watch your shots with heavier calibers. But even if you can't see the shot, you sure can hear impacts.

You can't have enough ammo with you. While you may not shoot it all up, when you get into a large patch of p-dogs, the last thing you want to do is have to stop because you ran out of ammo. For myself and my 3 sons, we could easily go through 2,000+ rounds of ammo in 2 half days of shooting and 2 full days of shooting.

Last consideration is weather. Our trips were always on Father's Day weekends and we experienced weather from 80+ degree days to one year, 3 inches of snow. Besides a good stock pile of ammo, be sure to take a lot of water with you. Double up what you think you need.

Sure do miss those trips, more the social interaction with friends and watching our kids shoot than the actual shooting I did.

Buy a 17WSM
    FIFY.

I was impressed with how well and how far we were able to tag dogs with the .17WSM in AZ (longest kill was 240 yards with the WSM, iirc) Awesome cartridge.

We took several rifles that week. I took my 18" AR and had an absolute blast.

I'll find the videos on youtube and post them up.

Depends what your goal is-

If your after sheer kill numbers take these 4.

22 LR
    17HMR
    17Hornet
    22Hornet

If you want aerobatics
    17m4
    17Rem
    204 32gr
    223 40gr
    220 swift 50-52gr
    22-250 50-52gr
    243 58gr

If you want to fine tune your long range rigs then bring whatever you want.

To each their own but not an AR fan for this. Accurate enough for sure but they fling brass all over hell. It’s not fun looking for it in grass/alfalfa. Also the sound of the action cycling gets annoying as hell. (Day in day out it does not talking about doing it for an hour)

Good bolt actions even single shot will let you shoot enough that you will heat a barrel quickly. And need to switch out.

If you’re serious take at least 5 rifles. 10 is better.

I have a few ranchers that pay me to come out. On those places it’s 17HMR for 90% and then the 17 Hornet. Take the 204 for the occasional smarty.

Good luck and enjoy.

Depends what your goal is-

If your after sheer kill numbers take these 4.

22 LR
    17HMR
    17Hornet
    22Hornet

If you want aerobatics
    17m4
    17Rem
    204 32gr
    223 40gr
    220 swift 50-52gr
    22-250 50-52gr
    243 58gr

If you want to fine tune your long range rigs then bring whatever you want.

To each their own but not an AR fan for this. Accurate enough for sure but they fling brass all over hell. It’s not fun looking for it in grass/alfalfa. Also the sound of the action cycling gets annoying as hell. (Day in day out it does not talking about doing it for an hour)

Good bolt actions even single shot will let you shoot enough that you will heat a barrel quickly. And need to switch out.

If you’re serious take at least 5 rifles. 10 is better.

I have a few ranchers that pay me to come out. On those places it’s 17HMR for 90% and then the 17 Hornet. Take the 204 for the occasional smarty.

Good luck and enjoy.

Not to argue a point on the AR platform, but I like using ARs because of faster follow-up shots. I've hand instances where I pop a dog, another appears and I can quickly take aim and pop another. I simply can't do that with a bolt gun.

Have you tried the .17WSM? It's a screamer.

Not to argue a point on the AR platform, but I like using ARs because of faster follow-up shots. I've hand instances where I pop a dog, another appears and I can quickly take aim and pop another. I simply can't do that with a bolt gun.

Have you tried the .17WSM? It's a screamer.
    I did try the 17wsm in a savage B mag when they very first came out, accuracy was deplorable. I know that’s no longer the case but I was not impressed in the beginning.
    I already had a couple 17 Hornets at the time. Slightly higher velocity and reloadable don’t have to be stuck with factory fodder availability.
    I know a lot of people use ARs on prairie poodles with great success. Personal preference is for bolt guns. Particularly fond of left bolt right port setups.

Reactions: muad
    I did try the 17wsm in a savage B mag when they very first came out, accuracy was deplorable. I know that’s no longer the case but I was not impressed in the beginning.
    I already had a couple 17 Hornets at the time. Slightly higher velocity and reloadable don’t have to be stuck with factory fodder availability.
    I know a lot of people use ARs on prairie poodles with great success. Personal preference is for bolt guns. Particularly fond of left bolt right port setups.

Yeah, I think they (Hornady) got the ammo figured out, at least the 20gr load seems to do well. My bolt experience is minimal (owned a R700 back in the day, currently have a Savage BMAG in .17WSM and a LaRue Siete). Not sure what a left bolt right port setup is, but I wish my bolts were operated from the opposite (left hand) side. Seems it would allow for easier operation while maintaining grip with your shooting hand.

Have one, was considering taking. Are there many shots inside 100 yards? I was wondering if 17 or 22LR. Why take a 22 air rifle if I can take a 22LR in super and sub - is a learning experience.
    If it’s a town that’s gets shot regularly, the first shot will send everything underground for 150yds. .223 is best. Suppression is best. With a can they will stay up longer at closer ranges. I prefer bolt action and taking my time. 650yd is my record so far.

5AFDD300-551F-462C-A9B4-D8BFC8CC10AE.jpeg
    ECEA2F70-EB4B-48E6-AD71-7D33FD8576E1.jpeg
    859F508D-9A65-48D6-BE9C-FF142E44D216.jpeg

Reactions: muad
    Have a trip planned late May. 1st time for me and am planning on eastern WY due to abundance of BLM land. Still details to work out but already started reloading 223, 6x45, and 243 for the adventure.

Reactions: 458win and muad
    I have been many times over the coarse of 15 years or more. One thing I have learned in shooting them in south dakota, colorado, and kansas, is there is a lot of wind usually.

Most people say take a 55gr AR in 223 or lighter bullets, but I have had way better sucess taking 223 bolt guns with 75gr eldm or something with higher bc to buck the wind. Those little bastards dont hang around the 200 yrd and in very long when thier cousin just exploded. 300-600 yrd is the average shots imo, and have had winds from calm to over 30mph, but its usually blowing pretty good