• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time reloading, first batch shot today.

lordt313

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
Louisville. KY
Over the past several months I have been building up to reload, having never done it I was really nervous. I watch the RCBS DVD and watched ol Jim Scouten show me how its done. I read both the Speer and Sierra realoding manuals, and have been on this thread more time than I can count, that being said, I loaded my first batch of .308 rounds today. Im shooting them out of a stock 700P with a 24in barrel and a Nightforce 5.5-22 on top. I took off the scope for the first round today, in the event that god forbid, I blew my self up, heres the load: 168gr Hornandy Match (bthp), FGGM brass, BR2 primer, and 39gr of RE15. After 4 shots I felt comfortable enough to mount the scope and actually aim, I did so and it literally blew my mind. I shot a 1.9 inch group at 220yds, I know thats not good compared to some that will read this but I was shocked. I resized each case, trimmed each one to 2.015in COAL was 2.800. I guess I am really just writing this to thank all that post on here, and for the very existence of this site. I will post pics in a day or two of my setup, and targets. Also if anyone has any advice on a good bullet that would be helpful too, I dont know if 168 will shoot to where I hope to soon. (1000yds hopefully by summers end.)

Thanks,
Taylor Lee

Re: First time reloading, first batch shot today.

Good job Taylor,
You have taken your first steps down this slippery slope we have all fallen into. Maybe it should be considered a disease that I don't want a cure to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lordt313</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I resized each case, <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">trimmed each one to 2.015in </span></span>COAL was 2.800. ITaylor Lee </div></div>

Taylor, you are at the MAX length for casing. Usually, I trim my to about 2.005-2.008. If you trim to the Max length, you are going to have to trim everytime you shoot, otherwise, you may not be able to chamber it the next time. Good shooting BTW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lordt313</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over the past several months I have been building up to reload, having never done it I was really nervous. I watch the RCBS DVD and watched ol Jim Scouten show me how its done. I read both the Speer and Sierra realoding manuals, and have been on this thread more time than I can count, that being said, I loaded my first batch of .308 rounds today. Im shooting them out of a stock 700P with a 24in barrel and a Nightforce 5.5-22 on top. I took off the scope for the first round today, in the event that god forbid, I blew my self up, heres the load: 168gr Hornandy Match (bthp), FGGM brass, BR2 primer, and 39gr of RE15. After 4 shots I felt comfortable enough to mount the scope and actually aim, I did so and it literally blew my mind. I shot a 1.9 inch group at 220yds, I know thats not good compared to some that will read this but I was shocked. I resized each case, trimmed each one to 2.015in COAL was 2.800. I guess I am really just writing this to thank all that post on here, and for the very existence of this site. I will post pics in a day or two of my setup, and targets. Also if anyone has any advice on a good bullet that would be helpful too, I dont know if 168 will shoot to where I hope to soon. (1000K hopefully by summers end.

Thanks,
Taylor Lee </div></div>

Sounds like your well on the way. Have you tried Berger or Sierra match kings yet? Just play around and only make one variable at a time until you achieve ultimate consistency.

I hope you don't plan on shooting 1000k, Lol that would be interesting to see. Kidding, but it would be 1k or 1000 meters
smile.gif
Best of luck.

DesertHK, thank you for that advice, I really didnt realize that I could reduce the size of the case like that, I used a FGGM as my model, and the Sierra reloading manual. Thanks
Also, I want to shoot SMKs but as this was my first attempt I took what I could find as Bass Pro here in Clarksville, I plan on shooting SMK 175s as my regular load when I can find them.

Thanks
Taylor Lee

Ghost Thanks, I meant to put yds after, wasnt thinking clearly....

Congrats! Fortunatly there is no cure.

It never hurts to go back and reread the begining portions of the manuals. Take internet advice with grace but double check with your manuals before putting into practice.
Keep a good log book, and keep your reloads marked with the date you reloaded them. If you ever have an issue you can go back and check out any other suspect rounds.

Welcome to the fray.