• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time running a kestrel at a comp

Andrew863

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2018
Russellville KY
So I do a lot of long range shooting and have shot a couple comps but i'm going to get a little more serious this year and shoot more comps. I got a kestrel a few months back and getting use to it. I am just wondering what you do with the kestrel when you get to a stage. Most of the ranges in this area are flat ranges if that matters for your setup. Do you use the target card or do you just use the main screen and scroll to each given range and then write it down? Do you select the DOF and then use the capture feature for the wind or do you manually select the wind. The more I use the kestrel the less I trust the internal compass. That's all the questions I have for now but im sure ill think of more once I start getting answers.

I found this video really good for getting your bearings on how best to use the kestrel. There’s a lot of general setup/use stuff, but he does a good job going over the sequence of steps for getting a good solution.

Reactions: aam