• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report First time shooting 1k...UNBELIEVABLE LUCK

chawk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Eastern Shore, MD
I had an opportunity to shoot from 1001 yards today for the first time. Prior to today, the furthest I'd ever shot was 720 yards.

I had 16 rounds to work with and it was fairly windy, although not consistent. I had trouble getting dialed in… the wind was kicking my butt. I would miss right, then miss left, etc. I made my first hit with about 5 or 6 rounds of ammo left. Missed a few more, and then it happened… The wind stopped. I had 3 rounds left and I adjusted for the lack of wind and fired at the 12” plate. Hit 2/3 of the way up and close to the right edge. Cycled the bolt and fired again and hit the plate at almost the same spot. Chambered the last round and let it fly. Another hit. 3 consecutive shots at 1001 yards, 1.868”.
What LUCK.
1001.jpg

Re: First time shooting 1k...UNBELIEVABLE LUCK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308? </div></div>

Yes.

better to be lucky than good, lol. Good work, now you are addicted.

Awesome! I've found that shooting is a lot like golf......just when you think it's been a sucky day, you nail one & it makes you come back for more!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom D.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome, congratulations. What bullets were you shooting? </div></div>
178 A-Max 2.790"
44.0gr varget
Cci br2
Lapua brass

IMHO, luck had little do do with it.

Outstanding shooting, Chawk.

I would say the hook is solidly set...

Nah sorry mate, this post doesn't pass the group shot rule
laugh.gif

Just kidding, excellent shooting. What reticle were you using on the NF ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom D.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome, congratulations. What bullets were you shooting? </div></div>
178 A-Max 2.790"
44.0gr varget
Cci br2
Lapua brass </div></div>

Thanks buddy.

finding these 178 Amaxs has been near impossible through any of the standard places. I got lucky and found 1 box just yesterday at a local joint. Going to play with some loads today

Thanks for all the votes of confidence, but honestly, I'm not a good shot. I've shot groups at 100yds that were bigger then that... it was luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nah sorry mate, this post doesn't pass the group shot rule
laugh.gif

Just kidding, excellent shooting. What reticle were you using on the NF ? </div></div>

Mil dot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom D.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
finding these 178 Amaxs has been near impossible through any of the standard places. I got lucky and found 1 box just yesterday at a local joint. Going to play with some loads today </div></div>

www.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com

www.creedmoorsports.com

Both places show them in stock as of the time of this post.

DAM!!!!!!!!!!! great shooting. This summer I will be trying the 1000 yards shots with my 20" Remmy SPS Tac see what it does.

That is some amazing shooting. Obviously you have to be satisifed with the Hornady A-max, but I was wondering if you have had any comparison to the 175 SMK and what your opinions are?

Call it luck if you want, but you have to be doing a lot of things right to shoot a group like that.

Good shooting!!

Great shooting! Can you give us some specs on your rifle? Barrel, contour, twist, action, barrel length, etc...?

Great shooting, man I bet you can't wait to get in more practice and tighten up the groups a bit more
wink.gif

Sometimes the moons align and the shooting gods smile on ya. We all need days like that occasionally.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage 10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is some amazing shooting. Obviously you have to be satisifed with the Hornady A-max, but I was wondering if you have had any comparison to the 175 SMK and what your opinions are? </div></div>

I just recently switched to the 178 A-Max from the 175 SMK. I didn't have any problems with the SMK, just figured I would try the A-Max since it was a little cheaper. Worked out well because the rifle seems to like the A-Max better...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great shooting! Can you give us some specs on your rifle? Barrel, contour, twist, action, barrel length, etc...? </div></div>

700 action trued
Shilen 10 twist, Rem varmint contour, 20"
HS Precision stock (carried over from the M700VS this rifle used to be)
Karsten cheek rest
Seekins base and rings
NXS 5.5-22x56 NXS.

Work done by AJ Brown.

I would say at the very least it speaks to what the rifle can do. Keep up the good work and maybe you can make that a consistent result.

Either you can call it luck, or you're damn good at doing something wrong consistantly...

nah just jokin' man, that is very nice.

4 hits out of 16? Lucky?
Just f'n with you....good shooting!

While I can say I've been lucky more than once shooting at distance I can't say I've ever had a group that small at 1K.

Congrats on your bragging rights.

Do it Again...
grin.gif

Nice and I know your realy happy for your first 1k and thats a Dam good one,Now it realy gets harder because you will expect that to be as easy next time..

amazing, though , to bad you didn't get it on paper ,you cant really hang a piece of steel on your wall for bragging rights can you ?

If your from ALABAMA ...
grin.gif
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">amazing, though , to bad you didn't get it on paper ,you cant really hang a piece of steel on your wall for bragging rights can you ? </div></div>

Congrats on an excellent group. You did it once, you can certainly do it again with a little luck. I think you have many more small groups in your future with that rifle.
Again Congrats!

Gotta ask... Why 1001 yards? That extra yard must be for bragging rights. GREAT SHOOTING man!

Very nice! I can't wait til I have the opportunity to shoot @ 1000 yards.

I had the chance to shoot at steel last sat. I needed to find drops for my 6.5-06AI. It is the rifle that was for sale on here at the end of last year made on the Sportsman 78 action by Mike Blatt that no one seemed to be interested in. (thankfully). I have been using 120b-tips and it shoots them well, but my groups are a little inconsistant. It really likes the 100gr version of the same bullet tho, so that will probably be my go to round. I have several 1/2 groups with it. Due to a messy black target, mirage, and only a 30x spotter, we could not see or even hear hits on the steel. There were four ant-freeze jugs set up next to the plate. My second and third shot went just to the right of the right jug. we could see the misses in the dirt behind the jugs, and the breeze was about 4mph from the right. I added a half min windage and sent the third. Just after the trigger broke, I felt the breeze pick up. That shot was blown over about two feet, and I hit the jug to the left! I added 2 min windage and sent the next one. This one hit the jug at the lower left corner! It almost seemed too easy. I know my bubble will burst soon enough, but for the time being, I am more than hooked! The shorter shots up to 550 were way easy with this rifle. I think I will keep it. With the 28" barrel, and 47.5gr of H4831sc, I am getting 3550 with the 100s. Super flat. 6.5min at 550, and 20.25 at 1014. While I will probably never equal the group of the OP, it iwll be fun trying. I can not wait to go out again!

Nice shooting, lucky bastard, go buy a lottery ticket