• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time shooting at 600y!

Sugarbug

Sugarbug Don't Care
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2013
Louisiana
I know, I know, a lot of you guys do this in your sleep, but this is my first time shooting at 600 yards. Actually, it's my first time shooting beyond 100 yards and first time shooting a bolt action that wasn't my 91/30.

Shot a 600 yard Field Precision Match with a friend's borrowed Rem 700 with NF 8-32 NXS in 223 wylde. Wind wasn't too bad, but got a lot of change in the second string where I shot my lowest string (190, 185, 191). I can see how wind reading is the true art of the game. My aggregate score wasn't too far off from the guys who shoot there all the time, but my X score (9) fell woefully short of the mark when compared to the other guys. Placed 7th out of 12.

I'm one piece away from completing my own rifle (Seekins Precision 15" SP3R Handguard). AR in 223 wylde with a Krieger 24" heavy varmatch barrel. Having to go with a SWFA SS 20x scope for now. I'd like to eventually go with the NF 12-42, but have to be practical and realistic with my budget. A rifle with a "decent" scope is more useful than a rifle with no scope.

Want to say thanks to everyone on here who takes the time to share their knowledge and insight.

If you listen closely you can tell when the wind suddenly shifts. You will hear a number of $#%@'s up and down the line.

I went out a couple weeks ago to shoot at distances longer than 200 yds. I tried steps of 300, 400, 500, then 600. It was really fun - except for having to do all the walking setting up and moving targets.

Shooting at targets almost invisible to the naked eye is fun. Doping the wind is frustrating at times yet very rewarding. You will never see a flag waving in the wind the same way...

Congrats! I have a buddy that shot his Mosin at 600 yds not long ago. It was his first at greater than 200 yds. It does get addicting. It's all gotta start somewhere.

One of the coolest things in life is an X-ring hit at 600 yards. Congratulations.

HRF

It is addicting.

Shooting at 500 yards was the first time I ever pulled a trigger, and the rifle settled in time to see the bullet impact the ground. THAT was cool to me.

Long distance shooting has changed the way I drive on long trips. I spend a lot of the time on long straights picking our distant objects, estimating the range by the naked eye, then watching the odometer. :)

I've gotten pretty good at 1000 yds and 1 mile.

The first time I shot over 200 yards was when I first got my AR. I set up a rock at 550 and just started shooting! It was too much fun.