• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Time Trying ELR

Awag1000

Interstellar Weapon Systems
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
Eastern South Carolina
In about a week I'm going out with some co-workers of mine to shoot a mile. I'm bringing along my 300 Winchester Magnum. I want to give this the best chance I can making impact at that distance. I loaded up some 198gr Warner Flatlines over some H1000 last I checked was moving at 2988fps. I haven't shot this rifle past 1000 and Im not sure what to expect with shooting this far. What are some things I should take into account before attempting a shot like this? Thank you for your time. - Austin

Patience!!!
Spotting is key!!!
Relax a.d have fun!!!!
This!
And talk shit!
Lots of it!

Load the BC and speed into a good solver With air conditions and you should get fairly close quickly.
If you can confirm at 500ish and 1000ish beforehand you can true up to those and get even closer on predictions.

A mile isn’t all that difficult if you prepare a bit and have good conditions for spotting.

This!
And talk shit!
Lots of it!

Load the BC and speed into a good solver With air conditions and you should get fairly close quickly.
If you can confirm at 500ish and 1000ish beforehand you can true up to those and get even closer on predictions.

A mile isn’t all that difficult if you prepare a bit and have good conditions for spotting.
Yeah that!
Also bring some tangerines or cuties. Eat one in between shit talking.
Most of all have fun and take notes. You’ll never remember all the details after you get the ring sound

I have shot my 300wm out past a mile lots of time. If you use one of the ballistic programs you can put phone they do give very accurate dope.

Reactions: Awag1000
My 2cents. Be 99.9% sure on the distance. Small errors in range = big errors on shooting.

And keep us updated on your results.

WHOA WHOA WHOA....slow down...don't be giving out advanced secrets and tactics....he'll be better than we are in a week if you give out all our secrets.

Behind every great shooter....is a tactical tangerine.
Or marionberry muffin!

I escaped New Jersey so I doubt it
I do have family in New Jersey and lived there for a bit as a kid.
E451C0A1-8268-42EB-8396-9645AEB92E29.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Gingernosol
Damned few folks win anything on their first try, so don't try; firsts are for learning. The hard parts are where the learning is taking place. Learn from your mistakes, and forge on regardless.

If you're letting it get to you, you're probably doing it wrong. if you're baffled, ask; most folks actually enjoy helping out the Newbs.

My first serious rifle shooting was done at Cherry Ridge. Don "Bucky" Mason and I started the Carlos Hathcock Match way back there in the 90's.

Greg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
One confirm the range to target

Two confirm the conditions

Input Elevation and Note or Input Windage

Recognize TOF to target for spotting

Employ Fundamentals of Marksmanship

Shoot.

Note impact on or around the target and measure distance or difference in Spotting Scope using a reticle.

Make correction, follow up,

Wash, Rinse, Repeat, :)

I managed to make impact at 1 Mile on a Full size human silhouette target. I'm super impressed with my rifle and my ammo. I'm still stoked at how absolutely insane making a shot at this range is. The amount of time it takes to actually hear the impact is absurd. You could take the shot, see your impact, and have enough time to take off your hearing protection to listen for the impact. I love it and it makes me want to shoot more at that range.

Here's a video of my friend making the shot. The impact isnt picked up in the video and that's mildly upsetting.

I managed to make impact at 1 Mile on a Full size human silhouette target. I'm super impressed with my rifle and my ammo. I'm still stoked at how absolutely insane making a shot at this range is. The amount of time it takes to actually hear the impact is absurd. You could take the shot, see your impact, and have enough time to take off your hearing protection to listen for the impact. I love it and it makes me want to shoot more at that range.

Here's a video of my friend making the shot. The impact isnt picked up in the video and that's mildly upsetting.

Pretty fun isn’t it???

Gateway drugs! You’re in trouble now. It’s a fun game, have fun and enjoy. Learn lots.

how are you finding the 198gr Flatlines in your 300WM?
How is the 100yd group size, and MV STDev?

I have had the bullet out to 2100yds in my 308 and it is crazy accurate. Last time I had the load out was in a snowstorm in MT Rockies... shooting a steel IDPA at 1 mile, from standing supported (RRS tripod). Impact, impact, impact!!!

how are you finding the 198gr Flatlines in your 300WM?
How is the 100yd group size, and MV STDev?

I have had the bullet out to 2100yds in my 308 and it is crazy accurate. Last time I had the load out was in a snowstorm in MT Rockies... shooting a steel IDPA at 1 mile, from standing supported (RRS tripod). Impact, impact, impact!!!
I love them my group size at 100 yards .5” I'm pushing them pretty quick at 2880fps SD is ~4fps. I feel like I'm not doing these rounds justice because I max out my Steiner's elevation and I still have to hold over 1.4 mils (total drop is 17.4mils). From my spotters perspective he said I was holding about a 16"-18" group at a mile. I don't know if that's good or bad but I was consistently smacking a 1:1 human silhouette target in pretty rapid succession.

RE your group size:
what was the vertical dispersion?

The wind from a fly fart will cause horizontal dispersion at ELRs so you just have to deal with it. However, vertical dispersion can 'go away' in theory, if the bullet is launched at the same speed every round and then losses velocity at the same rate (i.e. bullet-to-bullet BCs differences are low/zero).

My hypothesis is that CNC turned bullets have more consistent BCs bullet-to-bullet and more consistent in-bore friction, such that the vertical dispersion is materially improved vs a swaged, lead core bullet. The guys over at Warner Tool and PVA really do nice jobs manufacturing these things such that the user can realize this benefit. The BC improvements are clear and obvious, but this bullet-to-bullet consistency is not as well known in the market.

I didn't really measure that. I just measure the width of the group. Next time I go out I'll record some more data. I'll bring the tangerines next time too. I forgot them on the kitchen table.

Congrats! I'm jealous now. I'm hoping to try the mile shot just as soon as I can get settled on a load for my rifle.

What are some things I should take into account before attempting a shot like this?

Take a handheld mirror along for the over-the-shoulder trick shot.

Remember the mirror flips the wind.

-----------

Enjoy, ELR is the shit.

------------

Very slippery slope. I’m full on junkie. It only gets worse

Well, better or worse. With ELR, they are different flavors of the same tequila.

Take a dial caliper and measure your cranium. No matter how humble a fellow you are...I guarantee that your head will swell just a tad when you make those long range shots for the first time. Your chest may even poke out a little.

The first time I brought home a trophy in a 1 mile event....the next day.....the place I work had to install double doors in the employee entrance so I could get my head through. :)

Just remember to always have fun.

The never ending story a boy or girl and there gun how far can you shoot and can you make the shot Good luck I know you can do it if you really want to . I am on my own can I do it journey , I just have to try it and see if I can do it to .

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
I am on my own can I do it journey , I just have to try it and see if I can do it to .
This is the fun part.
I remember when shooting my AR 300 yards was a big accomplishment.
Then 800 yards with an AR
Then 1000 yards with my 260.
Then a mile with my 260
Then 3000 yards with a 7 saum
Then two miles with a 7 saum
Now I need more rifle oomph again and then 4000?

Take a dial caliper and measure your cranium. No matter how humble a fellow you are...I guarantee that your head will swell just a tad when you make those long range shots for the first time. Your chest may even poke out a little.

The first time I brought home a trophy in a 1 mile event....the next day.....the place I work had to install double doors in the employee entrance so I could get my head through. :)

Just remember to always have fun.

And your nuts grow two sizes....

This is the fun part.
I remember when shooting my AR 300 yards was a big accomplishment.
Then 800 yards with an AR
Then 1000 yards with my 260.
Then a mile with my 260
Then 3000 yards with a 7 saum
Then two miles with a 7 saum
Now I need more rifle oomph again and then 4000?
I was pretty excited to make impact with a 22lr at 500 yards. But the 1 mile takes the cake. I have access to ~1.5 miles so Im wanting to push the limits of the 300 Win Mag.

I was pretty excited to make impact with a 22lr at 500 yards. But the 1 mile takes the cake. I have access to ~1.5 miles so Im wanting to push the limits of the 300 Win Mag.
I was surprised at how well my 7 saum did at 1.5 miles.
A sorted out 300 will have no issues.
Hardest part is spotting hits.

I was surprised at how well my 7 saum did at 1.5 miles.
A sorted out 300 will have no issues.
Hardest part is spotting hits.
Since I'm shooting over an abandoned quarry filled with water spotting is pretty easy, however if I go over the target that's where the trouble starts.

Bring a shoulder pad because 300 Win Mag is gonna beat you up if you're walking the bullet in all day. Shoot, I sighted in my Montana 300 Win Mag last weekend and did barrel break in and by the end of the 20 round box I had a boo boo on my shoulder. Hahahah.

• Haha
Reactions: jasent

I have tried to go 2600yds (roughly 1.5 miles) with the 198gr once - in the Gallatin River Valley MT. It was from one mountain to another across a massive gorge with a ripping wind going thru it. I only get the 198gr going at 2775fps (from a 30", long action 308) so I was at the absolute max'ed out level of the scope. No luck, at all.

Here is picture of the lane with target in the rock pile circled in red. That is my 308 on ground in front of spotter with a bunch of 198grs in the ammo folder.
1605711779716.png

With your setup, you have another 200fps on me, so that will help, but you will need to solve your scope elevation limit.

Reactions: Newbie2020
Bring a shoulder pad because 300 Win Mag is gonna beat you up if you're walking the bullet in all day. Shoot, I sighted in my Montana 300 Win Mag last weekend and did barrel break in and by the end of the 20 round box I had a boo boo on my shoulder. Hahahah.
Nah, I'm a recoil junky I love the recoil. Plus most of that is tamed way down with the brake thats on my rifle.
IMG_20200821_203440588.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200821_203440588.jpg
    IMG_20200821_203440588.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 20