• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time using my iRay MH-25

Drago6

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2017
I recently picked up an MH-25 with PVS eyepiece from a member here (hold_over rocks :cool:), I have been looking through it the past few nights and have some observations/questions

First observation; It's just plain cool. Heat signatures really pop. A mouse at 30 yards looked like a damn LED bulb bouncing around haha.

My original intent/idea was to grab another one and run them helmet mounted NVG style, most of the things I will be doing at night will be in the woods where there's not much moonlight. While never having personally used Tier 1 tubes in less than ideal conditions (shadowy woods, etc) all the feedback I've read and videos I've watched seemed to indicate in those environments even a $10k set of tubes isn't going to be "night and day". Again that is just what i gathered from others accounts.

Scanning works great, have to adjust the focus ring depending on where you're aiming, but once that's where it needs to be it's pretty damn clear. When looking through the MH-25 it feels like standing in a classroom a few rows back and looking at the blackboard, whereas normally your vision would be akin to standing with your nose 5 inches from the blackboard. That makes depth perception/FOV a wholly different experience. I imagine using 2 at the same time would improve that, but it would still feel to my brain that I'm "looking at the blackboard from a slight distance", which makes sense since you're literally looking at an LCD screen.

Have any of you guys run one/or two helmet mounted style for moving around on foot at night? Looking straight ahead at the trees even 10-15 ft away the clarity is excellent, but when trying to walk with a normal heads up position I feel like my FOV starts 6-8 ft in front of me and if i have my focus set for ~15ft out and farther even if i glance lower it's out of focus, which obviously would make things dangerous when trying to move around.

Hoping to get some feedback from more experienced users on whether I'm barking up the wrong tree with wanting to use the MH-25('s) as a helmet mounted system for walking around the woods at night.