• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time using Ultrasonic to clean brass

ScottACousino

Sergeant
Minuteman
Worked pretty good, I have had the ultrasonic for years, use it to clean internals on all the MG's, works like a champ.

Have been reloading .308 for a few years but don't clean that brass, neck size only.

Going to start reloading .45acp so thought I would give it a try, this brass is from MG shoots over the past few years and some was wet when put in buckets, so it's pretty dirty, gritty, tarnished, etc.

Deprimed all the brass and put 500 cases at a time in the Crest, came out clean for the most part, not as shiny as tumbling, but I was just worried about getting the grime off so I can process it, not worried about the shine at this point.

Before

IMG_8843.jpg

IMG_8844.jpg

IMG_8845.jpg

IMG_8846.jpg

The beast

IMG_8848.jpg

IMG_8850.jpg

3 Dirty on the left, 3 clean on the right

IMG_8861.jpg

IMG_8863.jpg

IMG_8867.jpg

IMG_8869.jpg

Re: First time using Ultrasonic to clean brass

My Crest is a heated unit, brings the solution temp up to 176 degrees F, it is hotter than shit coming out of the basket, the water/vinegar mix pretty much dries on it's own, spread the brass out on a towels and rolled it around with a rag, was totally dry in about 5 min.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They look nice and I would recomend you look into the SS method also...

Just sayin... </div></div>

I saw that method, looks like a good route to take, but I already had the ultrasonic and the SS method has a lot more steps/time/rinsing/water to get a shiny finish, I'm just worried about clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do the primer pockets look? </div></div>

Two dirty on the left, two clean on the right.

IMG_8867a.jpg

45 brass tumbled 4hrs with Stainless media:

DSC00369.jpg

Primer pockets of said brass:

DSC00380.jpg

Sorry! Could not resist! Did the ultrasonic thing too! Now its used for cleaning my pistols only.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">45 brass tumbled 4hrs with Stainless media:

DSC00369.jpg

Primer pockets of said brass:

DSC00380.jpg

Sorry! Could not resist! Did the ultrasonic thing too! Now its used for cleaning my pistols only.

Terry </div></div>

Game...

Set....

MATCH....

Im just sayin....
whistle.gif

I am thinking about a second thumbler....

That does look nice, but for the time involved with the SS method, I would rather be out shooting.

The ultrasonic was a 30 min cycle, with 5 minutes of dry time, looking at the SS method it appears it's about 5 hours from start to finish, for shiny brass, I'm not seeing the benefit.

De-Priming…both of us are doing that...

Cleaning...30 min in the ultrasonic (still have some carbon) few hours in the Thumbler (no carbon).. I see that as a wash in that I am doing any of a number of things while it is tumbling.
Drying…Both of us are doing that.

On the Ultrasonic do you require any chemicals? SS requires dish soap.

As to the shooting, I do not see either method precluding it.

Shiny brass? Yep I don’t like lapping my barrel with extra carbon as it launches down the tube…

As with most things YMMV

Just an alternative view point.

Nothing wrong with yours, I just know what I will be using.

Thanks, now I see something I won't be able to forget I want...Thanks...
laugh.gif

Amazingly clean and shiny brass. Thumbler is it?

So where do you find Stainless media, I have blasting media I use at work to clean parts with but its not stainless can I use that. Its very fine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So where do you find Stainless media, I have blasting media I use at work to clean parts with but its not stainless can I use that. Its very fine </div></div>

Try it! You never know. We tried many methods and many types of media. Finally settled on what we are using.
If it is not Stainless its going to rust eventually. Also, the media we use is a specific size! Reason are explained here.

Media for Tumbling Thread

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ultrasonic was a 30 min cycle, with <span style="color: #FF0000">5 minutes of dry time</span>, looking at the SS method it appears it's about 5 hours from start to finish, for shiny brass, I'm not seeing the benefit. </div></div>

What method are you using to get your brass dry in 5 minutes? I would not be comfortable reloading brass with only 5 minutes of dry time. I want to be 100% sure the is no mositure in that case prior to priming and powder. I let mine run in a brass drying box overnight with a fan running.

Please share your method, I used a heated US unit and the brass was never dry in 5 min's after leaving the bath.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ultrasonic was a 30 min cycle, with <span style="color: #FF0000">5 minutes of dry time</span>, looking at the SS method it appears it's about 5 hours from start to finish, for shiny brass, I'm not seeing the benefit. </div></div>

What method are you using to get your brass dry in 5 minutes? I would not be comfortable reloading brass with only 5 minutes of dry time. I want to be 100% sure the is no mositure in that case prior to priming and powder. I let mine run in a brass drying box overnight with a fan running.

Please share your method, I used a heated US unit and the brass was never dry in 5 min's after leaving the bath.

Terry </div></div>

Look we are going to have to agree to disagree, you are here pushing your "buddies" stainless product, that is pretty clear, you are subverting the sponsorship of SnipersHide by sending PM's to everyone, including a Moderator who is ok with that.

I posted up my process for others to see, you guys shit on it as you feel your process is better, I get that, while your process does make nice shiny brass, the cost/time involved does not interest me.

Continue your shilling, I'm done here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ultrasonic was a 30 min cycle, with <span style="color: #FF0000">5 minutes of dry time</span>, looking at the SS method it appears it's about 5 hours from start to finish, for shiny brass, I'm not seeing the benefit. </div></div>

What method are you using to get your brass dry in 5 minutes? I would not be comfortable reloading brass with only 5 minutes of dry time. I want to be 100% sure the is no moisture in that case prior to priming and powder. I let mine run in a brass drying box overnight with a fan running.

Terry </div></div>

Look we are going to have to agree to disagree, you are here pushing your "buddies" stainless product, that is pretty clear, you are subverting the sponsorship of Snipers Hide by sending PM's to everyone, including a Moderator who is ok with that.

I posted up my process for others to see, you guys shit on it as you feel your process is better, I get that, while your process does make nice shiny brass, the cost/time involved does not interest me.

Continue your shilling, I'm done here. </div></div>

1) I'm not selling anything! I do not make any $$ from this.
Nor, does my contact. He covers his cost to and from the post office. I did not solicit anyone to buy this!
2) Everyone that was interested contacted me.
3) I posted this several months ago as a alternative to cleaning your brass and It took a life of its own.
4) I did not SHIT on anything you have done! I have done all of it. I was just asking what method you dry your brass to get it totally dry in 5 min's.

If the moderators of Snipers Hide had or have any problem with what transpired they have my contact info and could have told me to stop posting at any point. Also, they can remove anything that they do not feel is appropriate.

Terry

Scott,

I am sorry you see it that way. Fortunately it could not be further from the truth.
Let me clarify a few points.

First I am sorry you feel people (including myself) are “shitting” on your thread. My understanding of Sniper’s Hide is where like minded individuals come together and bring their thoughts and ideas forward to improve tactical marksmanship be that through training, tools, mindset, etc. All ideas have their supporters and their detractors, their advantages and disadvantages.

You put forward your thoughts on the cleaning method that works well for you. For that you should be commended, first for having the willingness to share and second for the intestinal fortitude to raise your hand and say “I have an idea”. I brought forward a counter thought and tried to express my thoughts on the matter as to why I thought the one I use has merit.

You expressed concern as to issues that you perceive and in turn I tried to systematically contrast my experience with my understanding of your method. At no point do I feel that I was “shitting” on you or your thoughts, again I respect that you have the willingness to put them forward (that is how the best ideas are born).

Long story short, I do apologize if you feel I have done anything to wrong you (jack your thread, “shit” on your thread, etc) and by no means am I trying to say yours is without merit. I do hope you will accept this apology and we can all move the game forward.

Regards,

Chiller

In closing…(Thank you Shankster)

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i-5TwTjLs84"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i-5TwTjLs84" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i-5TwTjLs84"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i-5TwTjLs84" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

That sir, was the funniest thing i've seen in quite some time. FANTASTIC whoever created...just plain fantastic. Now back to the pissing contests.

Wait till i post pics of my Maxwell house coffee barrel held closed with a piece of nylon webbing and a buckle, filled with walnut shells and flitz, tumbled in a dryer full of towels for an hour...and you guys spent HOW much on some silly jewelry cleaner? J/k...have at it gents LOL

I'm with Scott on this, I bought an ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor Freight for less than the cost of the SS media. It takes about 10 minutes to be clean enough to load precision ammo. It's not as shiny as it could be but does that matter? NO! I put a pizza pan on the stove and warm it up a bit and the brass is dry in about ten minutes. JMHO

Just got the large HF US cleaner and brought it home. For those doing quick runs in your US cleaners what are you using for a rinsing solution? I have 150 dirty .308 cartridges I can't wait to try this on.

I like the Ultrasonic cleaning. It takes less time to clean. I dont like to spend a lot of time on brass.

Seems to me that 4 hours of tumbling in SS media is really going to work those brass cases over. Probably not much of an issue with pistol cases but for rifle cases that would seem to be work-hardening the brass and perhaps shortening case life. I'll have to let someone with more experience chime in on this.

Scotts brass is drying fast because he is using a heated unit, IMHO ultra sonic cleaning is probably the fastest method for clean brass, and SS method is the best for shinny and clean, I do niether, but I really like the SS method better than US because of the chemicals involved and there is no chance of weakening the brass or changing it's properties.

I use both. I choose the SS for pistol brass or bulk rifle, but for precision application its US. The SS stuff (or ceramic) peens the crap out of the case mouths. This leaves a small burr (like on new brass) that requires extra work to remove.

There is no issue with weakening the brass if you're using the proper chemicals.