• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

first timer PRS build guidance

smooth_operator

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2021
Utah
Hey all-

So I’m new to rifles and am looking to build a semi precision rifle, (just as a new hobby and for my own enjoyment).
I started to look a complete builds like the Howa HCR but have decided to build something custom. Again, this is just for my own enjoyment but I would like to set a goal to be able to shoot 1000-1400yds in 6.5 Creedmoor. I’m also trying not to break the bank on this but I do want something solid.

Here are the main components I’m looking at:

Howa 1500
Tikka T3x
KRG Bravo
KRG X-Ray
MDT XRS
MDT LSS
MDT TAC21

Any input here is appreciated. I do have a few newbie questions that may seem elementary to you all but would sure clear up a lot of questions I have.

1. I’m assuming I’m going to just have to buy a complete rifle to drop into one of those chassis’. If I do end up buying a complete rifle, either a Howa 1500 or a Tikka T3x, can I buy any model and make it work or am I limited to certain models? Or are there specific models you all recommend?
2. Can any rifle model, (or recommended model), be converted/compatible with for example, a KRG Bravo chassis that takes AICS mags? For example I’m looking at just a standard Howa 1500 Hogue bolt action - 26” or the Tikka T3x Can I take that and drop it into a Bravo chassis that takes AICS mags?
Any other considerations or steps involved in doing something like that?

Thanks everyone

For a budget build - if you can find one - Tikka T3x Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor. You can start with that as is out of box. If you want "more", get local gunsmith to thread 5/8x24 and add brake of choice, get the trigger spring upgraded, drop into a KRG Bravo stock, add a bipod (Harris?). In any case will need a scope, rings, etc.

Howa 1500, KRG bravo, arca rail with maybe atlas cal2 bipod. 2 mags, nice scope (NF shv 5-20, strike eagle2, Burris xtr2, Arken, whatever).

Lots of ammo. Go have fun. Seriously. Why but a $5000 rig when you are a $5 shooter ? Go forth and learn and have fun.

Reactions: smooth_operator
I think Bugholes will sell you a prefit Bartlein for a Bighorn Origin
I definitely like the direction you’re headed but it might be a little pricey as my first rifle. I want to be somewhat mindful of budget. Not sure exactly what my budget is but if I can get a barrel and action around $800 that would be ideal for me.

Howa 1500, KRG bravo, arca rail with maybe atlas cal2 bipod. 2 mags, nice scope (NF shv 5-20, strike eagle2, Burris xtr2, Arken, whatever).

Lots of ammo. Go have fun. Seriously. Why but a $5000 rig when you are a $5 shooter ? Go forth and learn and have fun.
I’m about a $1 shooter at this point. Will any Howa 1500 (or Tikka T3x) rifle accept AICS mags once in the Bravo chassis?

OP...what's your budget?

As others already mentioned, I'd lean towards a used TL3 or new Origin action for ~$1k or less. PVA is having a sale on barrels right now. You can order shouldered prefits all day long in any SA caliber, spin 'em on at home and shoot. Drop that into any action and you've got a hell of a good match gun for ~$2k.

I run Zermatt actions and love being able to just buy shouldered pre-fits from folks like Josh at PVA or Proof etc. Viper vise, an action wrench and torque wrench and you're in business. Beats having to send guns to a Smith for a rebarrel job.

Hey all-

So I’m new to rifles and am looking to build a semi precision rifle, (just as a new hobby and for my own enjoyment).
I started to look a complete builds like the Howa HCR but have decided to build something custom. Again, this is just for my own enjoyment but I would like to set a goal to be able to shoot 1000-1400yds in 6.5 Creedmoor. I’m also trying not to break the bank on this but I do want something solid.

Here are the main components I’m looking at:

Howa 1500
Tikka T3x
KRG Bravo
KRG X-Ray
MDT XRS
MDT LSS
MDT TAC21

Any input here is appreciated. I do have a few newbie questions that may seem elementary to you all but would sure clear up a lot of questions I have.

1. I’m assuming I’m going to just have to buy a complete rifle to drop into one of those chassis’. If I do end up buying a complete rifle, either a Howa 1500 or a Tikka T3x, can I buy any model and make it work or am I limited to certain models? Or are there specific models you all recommend?
2. Can any rifle model, (or recommended model), be converted/compatible with for example, a KRG Bravo chassis that takes AICS mags? For example I’m looking at just a standard Howa 1500 Hogue bolt action - 26” or the Tikka T3x Can I take that and drop it into a Bravo chassis that takes AICS mags?
Any other considerations or steps involved in doing something like that?

Thanks everyone

Why don't you spend some time in those chassis manufacturers' websites? They will tell you which actions fit in their chassis. That will answer question #2.

As far as question #1, get one with the heaviest (thickest) barrel. A 24" barrel (or close) is ideal for what you want.

Will any Howa 1500 (or Tikka T3x) rifle accept AICS mags once in the Bravo chassis?
The Howa 1500 and Tikka T3X actions are the same regardless of what barrel or stock originally came with them.

Have you gone through the KRG webpage for the Bravo? They answer your very questions right then and there.

IMO Howa Bravo is what you seek... their are green ones with stars and stripes all over the gun auction site for ~$1000 in 6.5CM, they're kind of fugly, but Bravo's take rattle can well so don't let that deter you.

You can also build a Howa Bravo yourself with a barreled action from Brownells, but honestly you'll end up at about the same money because going that route you'll still need to add a pic rail scope base and an AICS mag which is $100+ right there... but it won't start life nearly as ugly hahaha.

Best advice I can offer is: don't blow your whole budget on the rifle/glass, don't forget about ammo/components. You can always upgrade your gun down the road, but you won't learn shit without sending rounds down range, and ok gun + more ammo > fancy gun + less ammo.

Also, consider stacking your dollars while looking for a used a rig: since there are plenty of guys out there who do the exact opposite of what I mentioned above, and go whole hog on their gun/scope without considering ammo or reloading for it - if you're even a little patient, you can pretty much bet on coming across like-new fancy guns that have barely been shot...

Buy you a howa or tikka rifle with a heavy barrel and a chassis. Remove stock replace with the chassis. Build complete.

The Howa 1500 and Tikka T3X actions are the same regardless of what barrel or stock originally came with them.

Have you gone through the KRG webpage for the Bravo? They answer your very questions right then and there.
This is good to know information. Thank you. I have more reading to do on the KRG site. My apologies for the lack of knowledge on this stuff. I’ve lived 35 years never having owned a firearm so needless to say not a strong background but I do appreciate the help.

Reactions: 308pirate
OP...what's your budget?

As others already mentioned, I'd lean towards a used TL3 or new Origin action for ~$1k or less. PVA is having a sale on barrels right now. You can order shouldered prefits all day long in any SA caliber, spin 'em on at home and shoot. Drop that into any action and you've got a hell of a good match gun for ~$2k.

I run Zermatt actions and love being able to just buy shouldered pre-fits from folks like Josh at PVA or Proof etc. Viper vise, an action wrench and torque wrench and you're in business. Beats having to send guns to a Smith for a rebarrel job.

Last edited:
Reactions: earthquake
OP...what's your budget?

So if I can get a complete rifle around the $1200 range not including scope, bipod, mags, etc that would be ideal.
This is my first rifle so I don’t want get too carried away right off the bat but rather something that is a good solid start and I can grow with.

Last edited:
Reactions: earthquake
IMO Howa Bravo is what you seek... their are green ones with stars and stripes all over the gun auction site for ~$1000 in 6.5CM, they're kind of fugly, but Bravo's take rattle can well so don't let that deter you.

You can also build a Howa Bravo yourself with a barreled action from Brownells, but honestly you'll end up at about the same money because going that route you'll still need to add a pic rail scope base and an AICS mag which is $100+ right there... but it won't start life nearly as ugly hahaha.

Best advice I can offer is: don't blow your whole budget on the rifle/glass, don't forget about ammo/components. You can always upgrade your gun down the road, but you won't learn shit without sending rounds down range, and ok gun + more ammo > fancy gun + less ammo.

Also, consider stacking your dollars while looking for a used a rig: since there are plenty of guys out there who do the exact opposite of what I mentioned above, and go whole hog on their gun/scope without considering ammo or reloading for it - if you're even a little patient, you can pretty much bet on coming across like-new fancy guns that have barely been shot...
I was looking on Brownells for that Howa 1500 barreled action and it’s currently on back order. But I am included to go that route. Again, not very familiar with supply but do you suppose Brownells will get more stock anytime soon or is that wishful thinking?

So if I can get a complete rifle around the $1200 range not including scope, bipod, mags, etc that would be ideal.
This is my first rifle so I don’t want get too carried away right off the bat but rather something that is a good solid start and I can grow with.
Either of those actions, tikka t3 or howa 1500, with any of the heavy barrel contours will serve you just fine.
Id proabbly get the tikka ctr and be done until you find out how much you really like it and then start swapping chassis etc.