• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First trigger purchase help.

Reread what I posted, plenty of times single stages are set with not enough sear engagement. Run the bolt to fast and the cocking piece slips off top sear or at sear engagement. 2stage triggers have more sear engagement, because of the 1st stage.
Since you’re taking that literally. Meh, fuck 2 stage triggers.

Also, you edited it to not look like a dumbass afterwards.

If your trigger doesn’t have enough sear engagement that’s a variable independent of the number of stages.

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head

If your trigger doesn’t have enough sear engagement that’s a variable independent of the number of stages.
745CFC7E-8B45-4A33-B821-C917CFE03C76.gif

• Haha
Reactions: spife7980

Don't know what I edited other than an autocorrect error. Did you get a screen shot of it, since it obviously bothering you enough to remember 4 days later? I was trying to clear that up, next time throw a sarcasm face in there, wasn't clear to me how you took it.

Man surprising amount of back and forth over stages. Use what you like and don't shoot each other. Seems kinda basic.

The search continues for a cheap tester trigger for my 700 clone action. Tick tock until I have to buy a new one to try out. at least resale seems pretty good if I don't like it

Man surprising amount of back and forth over stages. Use what you like and don't shoot each other. Seems kinda basic.

The search continues for a cheap tester trigger for my 700 clone action. Tick tock until I have to buy a new one to try out. at least resale seems pretty good if I don't like it

The good thing is that the great aftermarket triggers provide an awesome feel and break

Give me a good trigger that breaks at 1.5 to 2.5 pounds and I’ll be happy regardless of if it’s one or two stages.
I have a nice 2# Two stage Huber and I have no desire to replace it.
On my next build a BnA or TT two stage might get used just because I want to try one.

My only advice is the trigger and stock are the most important interface on the rifle. Finding those that "feel good" to you is of utmost importance. A crisp, clean break at 3 lbs is easier to shoot than a lighter gritty break.

I have BnA 2 stage triggers on both my bolt guns, both set around 2 lbs for the first stage at 4 oz for the second. I like them a lot. That works for me, and I haven't shot anybody yet. NYPD uses a 12 lb (I think) spring in their issue Glocks. I've seen video of those guys shooting on the street, and dont want to be any where close to them. A heavy trigger is no substitute for muzzle discipline. If you think it is, I dont want to shoot with you.

Help a brother out - how on earth does a 3 lb trigger keep you safe where a 1 lb trigger is dangerous? I don’t have the experience and in my brain that doesn’t compute. Judging by the number of folks that ND with all manner of service weapons I am prepared to state that if an 8+ lb trigger doesn’t keep you safe, the difference between 1 lb and 3 is moot.

Reactions: Jake the dog
Well in order to wrap this up, maybe. I just bought a used TT special off the forum it's pvd, flat, and I gave a smooth 100$ for it.

If I don't love it or I really need a diamond at least I'll have something so I can shoot while I shop and maybe my mind will change about a 2 stage.

Once those diamond 2 stages drop Ill probably be able to shoot a match and try one out!

Thanks for the help

Haven’t been super impressed with my tt diamond gonna change the shoe and see if it helps but not a big fan I think I’m a jewel guy for life

I didn't think you could change anything on the triggertech aren't they sealed for life?

While we're talking about it how do you get in there for maint and lube without breaking the sticker and warrantee?

All aftermarket triggers are a big upgrade over a standard Rem700 trigger, but with that said the only single-stage trigger I've felt that didn't have any creep was the Triggertech Diamond. Every other trigger I've tried had at least some amount of either pre-travel or creep, including a Calvin Elite and TacSport Pro. I took a slow-motion video of my trigger a while back to see if what I was feeling was correct, and I sure can't see any motion before the break. Overtravel is also tiny, which I'm a fan of.

Be warned that if you like two-stage triggers you'll probably hate the Diamond though, because there really isn't any feel to the trigger before it breaks. Just sits there until the break, and since there's virtually no overtravel it's easy to get into a habit of slapping at the trigger if you set it too light because you can't feel that you're not holding the trigger. I know I started slapping at the trigger when I had my Diamond set to 8oz, so now I keep it heavier than that and pay more attention to what I'm doing after the shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaylorBacon
So I'm building what many would consider an entry level long range build. A budget SS Action, criterion remage, used krg bravo, ECT...

I've made most of my decisions besides glass and trigger. I'm waiting on glass and a couple other pricey bits because I'm not sure if I will even get into PRS or just shoot long range on my own and use it for the rare "any legal weapon" tag I might draw. And I have bipods and a "decent" scope to throw on and get going.

Here is where I need the help or opinion; I suspect I am going to end up wanting and buying a TT diamond because I hear such great things about them. BUT I have never had a trigger anywhere near that nice and I don't know if I even neeeeeeeeed it. With covid going on I can't just go to the range or local match and try out a bunch of triggers like I was planning.

So I know I have options
Buy any used trigger on the forum
Get a stock r700 trigger (I see those tuned already and cheap
Get an "entry level" flat trigger and see if I hate it.
Or bite the bullet and drop nearly 300 on a new triggertech diamond cause I think that's where it will end up.

I know everybody has an opinion here, and I am a bit hesitant to buy such a precision part of my rifle used anyway..

Obviously IDK

thoughts? Advise? Is it worth it?

I'll be shooting long for me (out in the desert or at match/range) in New Mexico
and hunting varmints all the way to big game (elk) eventually.
Lots of back and forth here ut I think the bottom line is you won't regret owning a good trigger. As others have noted, there are several available. If a TT Diamond is of interest to you (I have never owned on myself), I found this on another site:

well I did buy a tt special. the used price vs a hard to find right now 280$+ diamond made that decision pretty easy.

at some point ill shoot a PRS match and see how i enjoy that, and hopefully try out some other triggers. but for now im excited about the TT special.

ultimate reloader testing showed .015" of movement before the break on the special, i think all tt singles are that same.

The thread went off the rails a bit, I just wanted to update.

I finally got the action and got it all together, dry fire only ATM. The TT special is so far the best trigger I have owned, by far. The break is very crisp and I have it adjusted to a "noticable" weight to me, as in it doesn't go off when I touch the trigger. But I am surprised when it breaks.

So far so good. Gonna get some rounds through it soon and I'll consider this closed. Thanks for the help !!

The thread went off the rails a bit, I just wanted to update.

I finally got the action and got it all together, dry fire only ATM. The TT special is so far the best trigger I have owned, by far. The break is very crisp and I have it adjusted to a "noticable" weight to me, as in it doesn't go off when I touch the trigger. But I am surprised when it breaks.

So far so good. Gonna get some rounds through it soon and I'll consider this closed. Thanks for the help !!
Sounds like it's still too light for you if you're surprised when it breaks. That's never a feeling I want to have.

That's exactly what I want, maybe I'm phrasing it weird. I intend to fire, apply pressure to the trigger, and at some point it fires. No creep, no wall, no nothing just *click* which is precisely what a great single action should do. Textbook .....