• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First trip out west

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
Just starting the begining phases of planning a trip out west. I am pondering several locations with Idaho ranking at the top due to the amount of OTC tags the give to non residents every year with no lottery. Looking at zones 16A and 17 in Sept of the 2012 season. This is a massive area and I completely understand that on a DIY hunt it is possible I may not get on a nice bull elk. That said, I think that being out in the wilderness for a week and away from the stress of everyday life is the #1 goal followed by taking a respectable bull elk at #2. The area I am looking at is approximently 5 miles west and slightly south of tin cup lake in Montana (Tin Cup lake is southwest of Darby, Montana close to the Idaho border). I have contacted the Montana DNR and there is a several mile dirt road used only to maintain the dam to the lake but the next 5 miles would be rough through the mountains. If you look on Google maps the location we plan to set up camp is around 4 small lakes that are clustered together. The lake that is furthest west kind of resembles a key that points at the other 3. At the given moment I am no where near outfitted for this type of hunt so I have some stuff to get together. I have Rifles capable of taking a large elk but they are to heavy to pack so I will build another. Considering several calibers from 6.5 Win Mag to 300WSM. I have basic camping gear but will need to ugrade several aspects of that also including a nice pack frame and bag. We have talked about possibly making this a combo hunt with deer and will more than likely buy a black bear tag just due to the fact that they are $28 so if a situation would present itself we would be legal. We will also spend a little time in the afternoons fishing in the mountain lakes. I am looking for some general advice all around please, from caliber selection to gear and how to be best prepared for the climate. I do understand that the terrain is rugged and there is risk involved with rapidly changing climates that I am not used to in Ohio. Given that I will spend a significant amount of money and time planning this I am trying to get all my ducks in a row early get the best idea of what to expect. My Uncle is a forest fireman and was on a fire call out there years ago. He is the one that turned me onto this location with his pics and descriptions of how beautiful the area is. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brett

Re: First trip out west

The nature of elk/deer hunting in the west would make it difficult for you to just show up for a week and be succesfull, good time yes, but without any prior scouting you may not find anything.
You are on the right track, find a local resource here on the hide, and they should be able to head you in the right direction.
As far as your rifle is conscerned, I would suggest one of the heavier calibers in the bracket you listed. I love both the .308, and the 300wsm for elk and have used both with great succes. Though a .260, or a 7-08, or other 7mm would do fine as well.
I would try and keep the weight of the rifle under 12lbs, or even better under 10. I myself use a 13lb rifle, and it doesn't bother me.
A week is way too short to enjoy all the things the rockies have to offer, but all the things you've listed sound like a dream trip. good luck!!
smile.gif