• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report First trip with Viper skins, dot torture, and the bottom of the food chain

SpookyPistolero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
I had a less than enjoyable first trip with my aics. The lop was a bit short, and the thumb hole did not agree with my wrists. I picked up an extension kit and some Viper skins from Mile High shooting (extremely helpful and smooth business, by the way) and took it out again today. The skins required some fitting and fancy footwork, but eventually went on. The LOP ended up moving to about 14.6", much better. At Tab rear bag replaced my gym sock full of rocks, and completed my gear.

First, Viper skins are the shit. Much better feel, and I love the thumb groove so I have a tactile way to keep the same grip. Bolt manipulation was a lot easier with the thumbs-out grip.

Groups improved greatly this time (still working on technique... A lot). Recoil management is where I have struggled. I've been focusing more on just being deadweight behind the rifle, and loading the bipod more. What seemed to help the most was dropping the bipod over the concrete floor of the shooting Bay and onto the gravel. My shoulders didn't feel as stilted up, and it gave me something to load against. Much easier to absorb the recoil. The Tab bag made my holds much more precise, as well. The only thing I'm still fighting (other than not sucking) is a bit of vertical stringing. I'm assuming I'm not keeping consistent load on the bipod? Maybe a parallax problem? Not really sure.

20140531_115247_zps5kdekox3.jpg

Some dot torture below, at 100. Went so-so.

20140531_123047_zpszqetlqkz.jpg

And then there was this unwise visitor. I was getting settled in after reloading mags, and this little fella decided to wonder across my sight picture. Just took his time walking around! Not the smartest place to graze haha.

20140531_113737_zpsiwzhec1m.jpg

20140531_113347_zpsueoui6mb.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking. These posts are honestly a public way for me to document my progress, however slow it may be.

Vertical could be breathing. The online training helps a bunch.

What was wrong/tight on the viper skins? I have a set I need to put on.

Last edited: