• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

first try and i flubbed it up !

h2447intx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Angleton TX.
well thats about it ,, i set my table up and had all my things layed out , i loaded 5rds , like this

new winchester brass, resized , trimmed to my spec
primed fed 210, loaded the powder 44.5gr of varget, set my bullet 168gr hornaday bthp match, seated all well or those 5 i think are good dont know yet need to shoot them

any how cleaned up some hornaday brass i had shot so i fig ill load up some of those

cleaned and then sprayed some hornaday one shot on them like it says , put her in the press, and went to decap and resize well it was really snug.

i have never reloaded so i pulled it down to check it out and i could see the primer was comeing out, and the shell holder would not come off the brass so i fig that it was working ,, well i was wrong

any how pushed it all the way up , very very hard , primer poped out and i tryed to pull it back down , well it ripped the bottom of the case apart

any how i broke the die i dont know how many ways trying to take it apart so i live and i learn , i was running forster 308 national match ,,

any how bought a set of hornaday custom dies tonight from bass pro, i know not the best but we will see how they work out

so were did i go wrong ?
the only thing i can think of is i didnt debur or chamfer the brass , could that have done it ?

Re: first try and i flubbed it up !

One shot is your problem, Get yourself some RCBS caselube, and a pad and follow the directions. The case should be lightly lubed but not overlubed. I had the same problem with One shot.

One Shot isn't for everyone.......

so its the one shot ? hornaday says to take apart the dies befor use clean and spray one shot ,, what should i do in this case ,, what oil or lube should i put on the die when i put them back together ?

and also how firm will the press arm be when its working properly

Probably need a little more One Shot on the cases. Did you let the cases dry for a couple minutes after you sprayed them? If you rush it and try to size a case with them still pretty wet they will stick in there like that. I have been where you are and it is just a learning experience. BTW the Hornady dies work very well. You should not be disappointed with them.

well i thought i let them sit long enough , but hell i dont know , i may not have had enough on them eather ,

any how yes a learing exp,, ill deff make sure i get some lube on them next go round

thanks for the tip on the was as well ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I use Hornady's case wax, works awesome. If/when you stick another case, remain calm, and get yourself a stuck case remover or get a 1/4" tap, appropriate drill bit, socket, bolt and stack of washers to make your own.

Get yourself a stuck-case remover. That way the next time you stick a case, and you will, you wont ruin the die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use Imperial sizing wax it is almost effortless. </div></div>
Still the best in the business IMHO.

thanks ill check out the wax and case remover

i was trying to get the expander ball out to see if i could get the brass out but i broke it ,, it was stuck pritty good

I've been using one shot over a year, no problems. You need to spray the inside of die and brass,including case mouth. Let them dry at least 5-10 minutes. I would try and remove case, good luck..

I think you probable didn't have your decaping spindle set out far enough to deprime on the first stroke. Thats why the primer did't come all the way out, got stuck in the shell holder. Then when you tried to run it up into the die again, the case wasn't lubed enough and got stuck. What did you brake on the die? If you only broke the decaping spindle you can order another one form Forster. I have done this with a RCBS die before. RCBS sent me another one no charge. RCBS costmer service is top notch. I have also found Hornady brass to be alittle hard to resize to start with. I did the same thing you did, only I was resizing 204 ruger brass. I resized a bunch of winchester brass then started on some Hornady brass the they seemed alot tighter in the die than the winchester did. Anyway, good luck!

Yep, do not give up! Stuck cases are par for the course. I agree HOS is POS! Imperial Die Wax! Switched over from spray lubes and RCBS case lube about 15 years ago, and no more stuck cases.

Now, I will say that Dillon Spray lube is good stuff, but you have to let it set up. HOS does have a purpose.....It is does work well when you use it provide a dusting of pistol cases before you put them in a case feeder for progressive presses. It helps smooth out the operation, this is makes the operator have less fatigue, too!

I agree with Plinker, I use the RCBS lube on a pad. Only problem every had was my falt. If you must run a case though a die twice, lube it before the second time though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use Imperial sizing wax it is almost effortless. </div></div>

Spot on, sir! I just took a break from full-length sizing some .223 brass. I am putting a SMALL dose of Imperial on each case with my fingers. After lubing, it is hard to keep a grip on the case. Imperial is the way to go.

If you've never stuck a case, or broke a decapping pin, you've never reloaded.

Well I have new dies ill try again tonight see how it goes, ill try to fix the other die maybe have two sets thanks

Just stuck a case in my forster die and broke the spindle when it was being removed.
You can order a whole new expander ball assembly on their website for $19 shipped.

Thats true JDberry! Just fix the broke die if you didn't scratch up the inside of it. It will work fine. To expensive of a die to just throw away or not fix. Call forster and tell them you broke it and see what they say. Worst case they will charge you for a new spendle.

Yep , tried the One Shot lube once , and then went back to the Imperial wax for my bigger calibers . For the small stuff like 223 , still use the lube pad and can due up 36 at a time . Messy but effective

I rather like One-Shot, but I use Imperial as well.

Last week a fiend and I where both working on the bench, every single time he took over on the press the cases where becoming difficult to size. Every time I sat down to check it out it was fine. We found out, my fingers where all oily and his where clean. His clean fingers where enough to cause the cases not to slide properly in the die.

well i did talk with forster ,, 9 dollars to remove the brass, and all internals are 15 bucks , all i have to do is ship it to them , so yeah its going out asap

had a much better day , the hornaday dies work great over all, i dont like the seating die to much , it never seats the same and the run out sucks ,, the forster seating die is spot on every load and run out is .002-.003 so im good with that

now the hornaday seating die will crimp the round , but you can set it up so that it will not crimp ,, that is how i have it set ,, should i change it so that it crimps or what would that help with seating and run out ?

thanks

Send the die into the company and they'll fix it.

Never push the handle if it's really hard to do.

Reread the book that came with your reload gear.

+1 on imperial wax. Don't sweat it. I just messed up a case last night. And I've been at this a while. Accidents happen.

well got the call today its done i payed by phone and they are shipping it back to me, 26.89 repair and shipped ,, not bad and fast too

great customer cair at forster !

got it back and still have not used it ,, still sizeing with my hornady

need to change it out and try it !

Never once had success with One Shit....even with one of it's biggest fans standing there with me.
mad.gif

Get the Imperial wax, RCBS lube, or just a can of STP and your stuck cases will go away. When you run the case up in the die and meet stiff resistance, STOP, lower the case from the die, re-lube and try again. Always keep a stuck case remover on hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h2447intx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

now the hornaday seating die will crimp the round , but you can set it up so that it will not crimp ,, that is how i have it set ,, should i change it so that it crimps or what would that help with seating and run out ?

thanks
</div></div>

If bolt gun-I say no crimp.

Semiauto- I use a Lee Factory Crimp die and crimp LIGHTLY.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. YMMV

$9 to remove the stuck case...that's about $180/hr. Make your own 'kit' for about $5. I have had one stick with the one shot, but it was a combo of not using a big enough shot and not letting it set up. Pulled with a bolt no trouble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you've never stuck a case, or broke a decapping pin, you've never reloaded. </div></div>

I've broken a couple pins, but I have stuck exactly ONE case, and that was during my first session at the bench...I learned my lesson.

In HOS: It works just fine, it's just crucial you give it plenty of time to dry off after spraying - same deal with all the other alcohol/lanolin case lubes.

I keep a tin of Imperial on the bench, but only use it for one-sy two-sy tasks. I find it to be labor intensive to put on and take off. I normally do large batches, say 200+ rounds, so I use DIY lube - lanolin and alcohol.

I guess it goes without saying that if you have a home made stuck case puller ,you have stuck a few cases.
For your home made puller you need 1. a drill with a bit a couple sizes under 1/4 inch.2. A 1/4-20 tap. 3.A 2 1/2 inch quarter twenty carriage bolt .
You may need to grind the carriage bolt head a little to get it to fit in the shell holder slot of your press.
Back out decapping rod.
Drill and tap the stuck case.
Slide the carriage bolt into shell holder slot of the press.
Bring press up so you can screw carriage bolt into case.
Pull out case.

Then remember that if it feels tight going in --add more lube its a lot easier than pulling stuck cases!!

Hornady One Shot gave me nothing but problems. Three stuck cases later, and it went into the garbage can. I'm too cheap to order Imperial sizing wax, and the local gunshop wants $12 for a few ounces of Imperial wax...but since I know where there is a shit ton of Mink Oil, I visited my local WalMart, and honestly the mink oil looks and feels identical to the Imperial Wax!

I've loaded thousands of rounds with the mink oil, I'm still on the same $4 can and have had ZERO stuck cases with it. Since I tumble with stainless after resizing, I don't even have to deal with clean up. I can resize about 20 cases off the residual grease on my gloves after one small dip in the can! I rub a bit between my gloved fingers then on the case and mouth, mouth gets a nylon brush thats been rolled in the grease. I usually only lube every 3rd case, as I try to avoid gunk'ing up my dies too bad. I found with every round being lubed, case shoulders get dented. Not a big deal, but I'm a bit OCD with brass.

Also, I like Redding/Forster dies. But, if I had to advise anyone who is beginning to reload, I would recommend starting off with LEE dies. Stuck cases in a LEE die are much easier to deal with on your own without having to TAP a case and remove. Basically, you just loosen the decap retaining nut, tap the rod out of the die with a punch and hammer, then dremel the case around its diameter to remove the mandrel. Takes about 2 minutes and no broken pins.

Don't feel bad on your "first try". I just got my new parts, for my THIRD stuck case, with one shot. Thought the first was a fluke. Thought the second was a "drying" issue. Maybe I didn't wait long enough? The third? I'm goin back to RCBS case lube, and pad. Had to replace the whole rod, on my competition die.

Remember the old sayin': If it don't fit, don't force it." If it feels like it's going to stick, it probably is. I load 6 or 7 calibers and .308 is the one most likely to stick. After you load for a while, you get a feeling when something is going to go south; but we all can doze when sizing cases...

I too started using Hornady One Shot case lube...never again. I switched to Imperial sizing wax and it made a world of difference. Also to the OP...the One Shot Hornady refers to for cleaning your new dies is the OneShot cleaner/dry lube...that is good to go. I use that to clean all my new dies. It is not the same animal as the OneShot case lube.