• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First try at Re-loading subs...what do?

Liberator TJ1984

Sergeant
Minuteman
You guys think about this combo ?

Kinda went with general concensus of what others have posted in the sub-sonics forum but I don't have a chrono . so i loaded up about 50rds of these to try

.308 FGMM Brass
Fed 210M Primer
Sierra 180gr. Projectiles @ 2.80"OAL
10gr. Trail Boss Powder

ps..Looks like the Powder fills the case about 2/3 full ...

a 1# can of powder looks like it ought to make a lot of sub ammo ???

20" LTR barrel 1/12

Please fell free to let me know how bad I'm off on the components and why ?

Re: First try at Re-loading subs...what do?

Looks OK except for one thing... I'm not 100% sure the 1 in 12 twist will stabilize the 180 grain bullets. Most folks I've seen or talked to about subsonic shooting preferred a 1 in 10 or faster twist for shooting the 170 to 180 grain & up bullets. Never know until you try it, but if you end up getting keyhole bullet strikes then you might try the 150 grain 30-30 style bullet. I run the 170 Hornady flat point in FGMM brass, CCI large pistol primers & 10.2 grains of Trailboss in my 16" 1 in 10 twist Savage and it shoots very well. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Re: First try at Re-loading subs...what do?

Thanks Garrett,
I wanted to get some 150ish grain bullets but all they had in stock locally in .308 were the 180's ...
I was lucky as I got the last 200 primers, 1# of Varget and 1 can of Trail Boss (90oz.) so I didn't have alot of choice