• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Upgrade for .308

SouthernPride

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2014
Hey Ya'll thanks for looking in!
First post here and wanted to get clarification on a few things. I've hunted whitetail from 12-21(current age) and have always used model 700s. I bought a model 700 sps .308 win back in 2012 and have loved it, taking deer comfortably up to 250 yds. Recently I've wanted to get into long range shooting (around 500-650yds) and I'm on a budget. All the data I find is either for a sps tactical, or a sps varmint and can't find hardly anything on just a regular sps. I'm satisfied with the scope I have for now which is a Nikon buckmaster 3x9 40mm. My first upgrade I'm saving for is a stock.. I've read a lot of articles and narrowed down a lot of suggestions to either a H-S Precision, or a McMillan. I need a stock that I can attach and go, with no extra work needed. What would ya'lls suggestion be?

Also a suggestion on my second upgrade would be very appreciated also. I was thinking maybe mount and rings..
Like I said I'm new to long range shooting and just getting into guns. I appreciated all the veteran advice I know that's on this forum.

Thanks for your time, and all responses are appreciated.

Look for a used 5r take off stock. They seem to go for 225 to 250. They are made by H&S Precision.

Bell and Carlson would be a option you should consider as well. I bought a M40 style from them and it's amazing for the price. I think I will eventually bed the stock but for now it's doing a great job.

I'll look into both, thank ya'll very much!

Also, when it says "varmint barrel channeled" will that be ok for my regular SPS?

Last edited:
Bell and Carlson hook stock. I just put one on my .308 and love it. It has an aluminum bedding block so you can get away without bedding it. It is very comfortable and pretty light weight. I bought mine used and saved about $100 keep your eyes open in the sale adds you can find them on there every now and then.

A regular SPS without the heavy barrel may have trouble maintaining accuracy if you don't give it time to cool off between shots, but I don't really know. I've never tried it. If you get a stock that is for a varmint the only problem would be that there is extra room between the stock and the barrel.

If you don't want to do any bedding get something with and aluminum bedding bock or a chassis. If you get a Macmillan it will need to be bedded for best performance.

As far as scopes go most of the guys on here use something with exposed turrets and a ranging reticle. This makes longer shots with holdovers easier. Your Nikon would work, but I'd be a little concerned about the accuracy and reliability of the tracking if you're going to be going up and down through the range a lot. - by tracking I mean the ability of the scope to accurately move up and down through it's range for holdovers. I have a Vortex Viper HS with a mil dot reticle and mil adjustments. It's probably the cheapest variable range mil/mil scope I can think of.

Last edited:
Manners with Mini Chassis

Or take off Remington/HS with al bedding block. I know they put these on the PSS and PS-1. The PS-1 is detachable box magazine.

I am going to suggest you upgrade your scope before getting a stock. I'm not an experienced long range shooter, but I can tell you from the experience I do have that for long range shooting a scope is everything! Like mentioned above it is important to be able to make adjustments on your scope with accurate tracking back to its zero. Once you get into shooting 500-600 yards like you want, it will be like pissing into the wind if you just plan on doing a holdover from a 100 yard zero and trying to hit small targets.

So in my honest opinion, if I were you I would get a decent quality scope with target turrets first so you can make accurate adjustments for those longer range shots.

MG gave good advise about scope upgrade. Cameraland has Zeiss conquest 6.5x20 with Target turrents for 599.00, a really good scope to start with. It will make 500 to 600yd really fun, easy to sell for upgrade later. Hope this helps.

At this stage, and without knowing anything else about you, I strongly suggest you spend your money on shooting. You say you've been hunting for many years, how much do you shoot? Can we assume you have reliable access to a place to shoot (and not just hunt)? Do you reload? The single greatest influence on my shooting ability has been my ability to reload large quantities of high quality ammo (I want to say shockingly large quantities). Without that, I would not be able to afford to shoot anywhere nearly as much or as often as I do. Besides that, the shooting is the part that is the most fun.

When you can tell your equipment is holding you back, then upgrade it.