• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First year production Remington 700

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    I bought this thing from a guy locally for 500 bucks minus scope. All I knew was it was an early clip slotted 30-06 ADL. The gentleman told me that his dad bought it for his mom new in the 60's.

I took it home and it has a barrel code of DJ and is in the mid 28,000 serial number range.

I did some research and it was made in September of 1962. That puts it in the first 6 months of production. The first ads for the model 700 ran in the American Rifleman in July of that year.

Interestingly enough, this rifle has never seen a 4473 in its life. Makes me happy that some things are still as they should be.

20221109_150726.jpg

@pmclaine as you will like this. Also, if anyone knows where to source a period stock with the aluminum buttplate I am looking for one.

Very nice.

Did it come with the scope?

What is the scope?

I’d look on EBay for the stock.

I have a short action stock coming back at some point from LRI that I 98% fit an aluminum plate to you can have.

It’s not M40 but close.

Picks on my LRI rifle build thread

Reactions: MK20