• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fish Oil vs Flax Seed Oil

GasLight

That Guy
Banned !
Minuteman
Hello,

Very new to most of this, and I came across a question already. I have seen fish oil recommended because of the Omega-3. I see that Flax seed oil seems to have the same types and quatities of Omegas, am I missing something. Is there something that makes fish oil superior to flax seed?

Thank!

Dave

Re: Fish Oil vs Flax Seed Oil

I don't think so, but I just aim for a variety of sources. For me fish oil is pretty convenient and it makes me feel extra Norwegian so I dig in.

I just try to eat a fatty fish once a week or so to compliment that, and nuts etc.

DD -

I do flax seed oil, simply for the fact that fish oils can give you the worse burps and farts! I cant start my day with a shake and being farting and burping all day long in meetings.

Flax also seems to be pretty easy to find at almost anywhere. So that is another selling point for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DD -

I do flax seed oil, simply for the fact that fish oils can give you the worse burps and farts! I cant start my day with a shake and being farting and burping all day long in meetings.

Flax also seems to be pretty easy to find at almost anywhere. So that is another selling point for me. </div></div>

Agreed, I was always burping up that fish taste which is why I cant do the fish oil anymore.

Flaxseed oil is a potent laxative....be careful before those meetings. Theres worse things to do than burp in a meeting.
blush.gif

i take both...fish oil upon waking...and flax mid day...and flax again in the evening because it is in my joint protection pack..

bench

I use either Carlson's or Jarrow Omega/fish oil/epa-dha.

If you take the fish oil with a full glass of water and then eat. no issues. But, take it with nothing but water.........things get less than tasty.

just don't super-dose......either is good but your body dumps most of a large dose; if it can assimilate the product you are taking. Trial and error is the norm.

I take fish oil capsules daily, and I do believe in it. It came highly recommended from my chiropractor to reduce inflammation in my injured L5 disc. I am sold on it, anything & everything that helps is worth it to me.

I eat a whole grain bread that has flax seed in it, and so that is my source of it on occasion. I don't supplement it since i'm taking the fish and don't really feel the need to.

Just my experience, YMMV. Glad to see you in here DD, I wish you all the best. How is that Kreiger .260 treating you?

What you need to look for is the EPA/DHA content of the fatty acids of your supplement. Some are much higher than others.

For cardio-protection you need about 1 gram (combined) each day.

For high cholesterol lowering you need 2-4 grams/day

For hypertension 3 grams/day

Depending on what you get, you might need to actually take about 10 capsules/day to achieve these levels. But these are the doses of clinical significance. Otherwise you are not really doing anything.

Lovaza is a precription Fish oil with 1 gram of combined EPA/DHA but it can be expensive.

Seriously get chia seeds for the best over all health bennefits. No joke CHIA seeds lowered my chloestrol by 50 points, my sugar went down far enough that my doctor stopped threating to put me on a diabeates drug and my blood preessure dropped 15 points all this was done in 60 days. No BS guys this stuff is the business.

flax seed oil is the way to go. i take a spoonful every morning. take the oil rather then the pills. your body will absorb the oil better.

My colestrol ratio was too high, started fish oil and eating a handful of almonds a day, now it is great. About 1 or 2 times a month I do get a fishy burp or 2, not so bad.

try krill oil for a more potent omega 3, i take em for my joints, and figure it cant hurt if it helps my brain function!!!

I use to get pains in both of my knees for a number of years after getting out of the ARMY. Starting taking 2 fish oil capsules daily and my knees do not have any pain anymore. Been taking the fish oil quite a few years now. Works great for me.

OK, so which fish oil capsules have the least "fishy taste/aftertaste". I need to deal with cholesterol issues myself, apparently I had a false sense of security with a HDL in the 120's, its turns out that most of the people with HDL "that" high have dysfunctional HDL - its a test that is only done at two places.

Anyway, I literally vomit at the smell of any seafood and if I actually eat it (as in when I ordered chicken in a Thai restaurant and it came in a poi base) projectile vomiting...

The last time I bought Fish oil capsules, I bought the Enteric coated ones, and I definitely noticed a big difference, little to no fish taste or burps.

Thanks - I'll look for those...I guess I've swallowed worse...

You can Lovensa which is by prescription if your insurance covers it. It is highly purified and I never had any burps etc with it.

I do the fish oil capsules. I tried the liquid- DOUBLE BLECH!! It was my routine to take a big swig of the juice on my way out the door to work. I had to brace myself for it. I burped cod liver juice all day.

As an added distraction, when you burp all the cats within a quarter mile start licking your face.