• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Fishing in Central TX

tomcatmv

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2017
Central Texas
Specifically Lake Belton. We moved to Belton last year and just recently got a boat. Any one have some advice on rigging/lures for the big hybrid bass in this lake? Other techniques? There's also large and small mouth, crappie and catfish.

I have never targeted hybrids on Belton, and have not been there in a good while. On central Texas lakes I have fished more recently (Travis, Austin, Inks, Walter E Long) silver Rattle Trap type lures worked well in the 1/4oz size for me. If you find them schooling near the surface anything shiny works.
A soft plastic bounced off the bottom at the points worked well for largemouth. My favorite there and a few other lakes has been a watermelon Fluke rugged on a lightly weighted hook.

I have never targeted hybrids on Belton, and have not been there in a good while. On central Texas lakes I have fished more recently (Travis, Austin, Inks, Walter E Long) silver Rattle Trap type lures worked well in the 1/4oz size for me. If you find them schooling near the surface anything shiny works.
A soft plastic bounced off the bottom at the points worked well for largemouth. My favorite there and a few other lakes has been a watermelon Fluke rugged on a lightly weighted hook.
Have you ever rigged a flasher ahead of the bait or lure? That's a pretty common thing to do where I come from in the northwest for coho and lake trout.

No problem. I fish it like a lot of people fish soft stick baits, like Senkos (just a thick, straight plastic worm). Keep it close to/on the bottom, slow twitches and bounces. I rig it weedless on a weighted hook. You can buy them like the one on the bottom, but I prefer the ones I make because I can control the weight. I like them fairly light. The bites are very subtle usually so you really have to pay attention.
I have never used a flasher, but I also have not trolled for hybrids. I always casted at schools so my experience may not really applicable to how you plan to fish.
EAA5B8A2-4D92-4256-A731-DBB2EE483B89.jpeg

I intended to mention those type of baits are also commonly used with Texas rigs and Carolina rigs. I like the weighted hook option better, but that’s just me. Others are worth trying.

Thanks. I'll give those a try. I think I'll also try doing some slow trolling with a flasher and maybe even a down rigger as Lake Belton is fairly deep in places and I've read that depending on the weather the schools go deeper.

Just use a wacky or Texas rig. Bass can't deny those. Hell, I want to eat em when I see them doing their thing.

I have heard great things about wacky rigs, I’ve never tried one though. A friend of mine tosses them under docks a good bit. I’ll have to try one soon.

I have heard great things about wacky rigs, I’ve never tried one though. A friend of mine tosses them under docks a good bit. I’ll have to try one soon.
Super easy setup. Get your hook setup and use a senko worm with a rubber o-rin around it. Run the hook through the o-ring and you're set.