• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fishing noob questions.

Aries256

Meta (make everything Trump again)
Minuteman
  • Sep 26, 2019
    Total fishing noob, buuuut drunkenly ordered a Daiwa BGMQ 14000H spinning reel, and a Daiwa 904XH 4S offshore pilk rod, however the rod power isn’t listed in the specs. My first fishing pole set that isn’t some cheapo from walmart🤣. Anyhoo would this reel and rod work for SoCal pacific fishing?, and what does pilk mean, ddg search doesn’t really come up with much. Not looking to try to hook Marlins or sailfish yet but def would be nice to have that capability.

not an expert, i would think that might be ok for casting about kelp beds, but most people i fished with offshore used reels like a penn senator.

Nice nice, pretty much what I’m looking to do to start with. Have a lot to learn before going for makos, humboldt, and marlin.

I always heard Pilk fishing to mean hand fishing i.e either with just a line, or on a rod with no reel or extra line. My only advice is not to take it too seriously 🤣

Reactions: Aries256
    My Granddaughter caught this at our place on Saturday. I can check tonight and report back on the rod and reel she used.
    20210821_210600.jpg

20210822_083534_resize_76.jpg

I cant help you.

Ok ok... ill help.
    Totally wrong rod.
    I dont know anything about pacific fishing, but because I've been fishing all my life, I just know you've screwed up.

Now for true.

I dont buy rods online, unless I've walked into a store and handled that exact model.
    Caveat emperor

Edit to add again....

I didn't actually catch a single one of those fish. And thats the truth.

I have worked all over America. On my days of I would just hire a guide (fish, duck hunt, deer / elk hunt, etc)... I paid attention to the gear he furnished, how he went about getting setup and I picked his brain as much as possible. I looked at it as "paying tuition". Always well worth it if I wanted to go back on my own.... Just a suggestion before you jump off into it.

I have worked all over America. On my days of I would just hire a guide (fish, duck hunt, deer / elk hunt, etc)... I paid attention to the gear he furnished, how he went about getting setup and I picked his brain as much as possible. I looked at it as "paying tuition". Always well worth it if I wanted to go back on my own.... Just a suggestion before you jump off into it.
    Sadly the ones I knew that I did go to for fishing advice, have passed. But one guy in particular when I was younger always swore by Shimano and Daiwa, so that’s why I looked at them first. However they being in Missouri were mainly lake and stream fishers.

I take it the bass are used as bait fish to catch those bluegills?

Sorry, can't help the OP with shoreline ocean fishing equipment, but bluegill are fun to catch on lightweight fly rods.

Only 2 bluegill. Rest are shellcrackers. Caught on 2" rattletrap.
    I refused to fish with anything except a beetlespin. Im convinced I never used the right color.

I know nothing about fishing the Pacific, kelp beds etc.
    I could tell you what you need in the GOM, Keys, and Atlantic.

I take it the bass are used as bait fish to catch those bluegills?

Sorry, can't help the OP with shoreline ocean fishing equipment, but bluegill are fun to catch on lightweight fly rods.
    Caught my first bluegill when I was 12, and quickly learned about their dorsal fin spines….. one of my favorite fish to catch.

I refused to fish with anything except a beetlespin. Im convinced I never used the right color.

Def would like to do some Atlantic fishing sometime. Pacific fishing, the beaches, and the land itself is the only good thing commifornia has going for it.

Def would like to do some Atlantic fishing sometime. Pacific fishing, the beaches, and the land itself is the only good thing commifornia has going for it.
    If you ever get near the panhandle of Florida, look me up. Ive nothing better to do....I mean as soon as I finish my house.
    I shore and pier fish mostly now.

If you ever get near the panhandle of Florida, look me up. Ive nothing better to do....I mean as soon as I finish my house.
    I shore and pier fish mostly now.
    Hell yeah sounds like a plan. Shore and pier will most likely be my primary, but def would like to rent a boat and do some offshore. ESP for shark, squid, and oh would it be nice to mount a Marlin🤩

That’ll be fine for SoCal fishing— spool it with 65# braid and run different weight top shots depending on what you’re going after.
    You’ll be able to chase stuff like yellowtail and white sea bass, but still light enough for inshore stuff as well.

Last edited:
    Dude...you don't need a boat for shark here.

Well the boat was mostly for the squid, marlin, tuna, etc the deeper fish. Mako shark is plenty apparently around the Santa Monica pier. The only problem with the pier is the asshole density there. Then again most of south California tends to be saturated with rude, selfish, pushy assholes. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m a asshole, but not the selfish, pushy kind.

Shoot me a PM with any of your fishing questions. I work for Shimano and have been for almost 19 years. I am in So-Cal and have a ton of experience on our waters as well as most of the US.

Dude...you don't need a boat for shark here.

Interesting video.
    If you did that in Texas you would violate at least 2 fishing regulations.

No power to put out a line from shore.
    No using game fish for bait.

The braided line will cut you if you are in the habit of holding a finger on it. Once will be a good reminder for years, worst case forever.

Don't set the hook with an open bail using braid.

Don't you cal guys have stripers in the surf?

Interesting video.
    If you did that in Texas you would violate at least 2 fishing regulations.

No power to put out a line from shore.
    No using game fish for bait.

The braided line will cut you if you are in the habit of holding a finger on it. Once will be a good reminder for years, worst case forever.

Don't set the hook with an open bail using braid.

Don't you cal guys have stripers in the surf?

They row them out on a kayak too. Kite fishing? Wind is power. Air launching baits? Compressed Air is power.
    There is always an asshole or group of assholes that want to make others as miserable as they are. Bet some Karen was behind those rules.
    The only time I've seen him use a game fish for bait was the Spanish mackeral and the pompano. Bonito, jacks, mullet, stingray, aren't gamefush.
    I think, as long as the fish is of legal possession length, he can be used for bait....but....ia have never understood using highly edible, delicious fish, for bait.
    Then again....I dont understand fishing for sharks, unless I'm gonna eat one. I completely support their desire to knock themselves out catching them. I wish they'd keep a few....damn a shark. Too many of them now.

There are stripers up near San Francisco. Sometimes they come down south, but its a short window every year and small numbers. We used to see them near Dana Point every year. I haven't heard any news lately.

Shoot me a PM with any of your fishing questions. I work for Shimano and have been for almost 19 years. I am in So-Cal and have a ton of experience on our waters as well as most of the US.
    Awesome, thanks I will. ESP after the rod and reel arrive

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
    Total fishing noob, buuuut drunkenly ordered a Daiwa BGMQ 14000H spinning reel, and a Daiwa 904XH 4S offshore pilk rod, however the rod power isn’t listed in the specs. My first fishing pole set that isn’t some cheapo from walmart🤣. Anyhoo would this reel and rod work for SoCal pacific fishing?, and what does pilk mean, ddg search doesn’t really come up with much. Not looking to try to hook Marlins or sailfish yet but def would be nice to have that capability.
    Stop by fishermans landing and they will get you squared away. They are the best shop in San Diego

They row them out on a kayak too. Kite fishing? Wind is power. Air launching baits? Compressed Air is power.
    There is always an asshole or group of assholes that want to make others as miserable as they are. Bet some Karen was behind those rules.
    The only time I've seen him use a game fish for bait was the Spanish mackeral and the pompano. Bonito, jacks, mullet, stingray, aren't gamefush.
    I think, as long as the fish is of legal possession length, he can be used for bait....but....ia have never understood using highly edible, delicious fish, for bait.
    Then again....I dont understand fishing for sharks, unless I'm gonna eat one. I completely support their desire to knock themselves out catching them. I wish they'd keep a few....damn a shark. Too many of them now.
    They didn't consult me before the laws were written, but maybe some things shouldn't be put on the network with all the federal overwatch.

Using boats, inner tubes (everyone) and I think kites for the handicapped individuals from shore all gtg in my state last I checked. I would rather kite fish from a boat.

You mention kayaks and sharks, however you miss the point of the two of them put togeather.

It's called a Texas Sleigh Ride,
    Sometimes they never make it back to shore. Now that is a sport.

Using edible things as bait, done all the time, crabs, shrimp, sardines, squid all manner of non game species.

Some shark are fine to eat and great on the grill. Problem is that many people have no clue how to clean them, same problem with stripers and hybrids. The shark "steaks" you get at your local grocery mostly all have been ruined before you get them as well as the stripers and hybrids.

You are from California and speak of Karen's. LMAO

They didn't consult me before the laws were written, but maybe some things shouldn't be put on the network with all the federal overwatch.

Using boats, inner tubes (everyone) and I think kites for the handicapped individuals from shore all gtg in my state last I checked. I would rather kite fish from a boat.

You mention kayaks and sharks, however you miss the point of the two of them put togeather.

It's called a Texas Sleigh Ride,
    Sometimes they never make it back to shore. Now that is a sport.

Using edible things as bait, done all the time, crabs, shrimp, sardines, squid all manner of non game species.

Some shark are fine to eat and great on the grill. Problem is that many people have no clue how to clean them, same problem with stripers and hybrids. The shark "steaks" you get at your local grocery mostly all have been ruined before you get them as well as the stripers and hybrids.

You are from California and speak of Karen's. LMAO

I see you may be easily offended, no offense was intended. Hell I thought I was a grumpy old man.
    I'm not from California, hoss.

• Haha
    Reactions: Snuby642
    Oh, and to clarify.
    They use kayaks to row the bait out several hundred yards.

I'm only speaking to the land based sharing they do.
    I am not affiliated with them in any way.

Not offended, just tring to help keep your fishing bud out of trouble.

The F&G department chopped the motorised little boat delivery because the large breading stock stripers were being decimated at spawning time in places that were out of reach mostly.

I never could figure the kite problem out, beach Karen's probably.
    Texas has a stupid rule that disallows game fish cleaning scraps to be used for bait or chum that I think is ludicrous.

That may be the stupidest law on the Texas books.

Ah, thought those redears were the pumpkinseed variety of gills. We have all manners of bluegill/sunfish up here in Indiana. Speaking of stupid rules. In Indiana you can't catch fish by hand. Sorry to all the noodlers out there. Even though catfish are the dominate species in our waters. The rule that gripes me though, is the 16" walleye size limit for the northern 1/3 part of the state, and the rest of the state at 14". I'm a few miles above that line (and all the waters I fish at). It's rare to catch a walleye above 16" in the local reservoirs. That boundary line needs moved north another 50 miles to the glacial lakes region of the state.

Nice! Let us know how it holds up. I sold off my large spinning rig a couple years ago. Thinking about getting another and pick up fishing for cats again and also to have a back up/2nd pole for when I go to the northern part of the state for pike fishing.

Whatever your fishing for, know your quarry! What do they feed on certain times of year! Understand where they go when water temp changes! Depth due to currents and or water temp, sunny vs cloudy! Jnderstand the moon phases and feeding times. What color is the water? Are you ahead of a front or behind a front? Are you fishing at night or day? Etc. Fish, fish, then fish some more a lot of years and you will learn! When do they spawn and where etc !

BTW the stingray, aka shark candy, is a top bait
    to others in the know, damn good eating.

I like eating stingray better than shark.

BTW the stingray, aka shark candy, is a top bait
    to others in the know, damn good eating.

I like eating stingray better than shark.
    🤔 never tried stingray, now I want to, then when I learn how to process the skin into leather, can make items out of it 🤑

Ah, thought those redears were the pumpkinseed variety of gills. We have all manners of bluegill/sunfish up here in Indiana. Speaking of stupid rules. In Indiana you can't catch fish by hand. Sorry to all the noodlers out there. Even though catfish are the dominate species in our waters. The rule that gripes me though, is the 16" walleye size limit for the northern 1/3 part of the state, and the rest of the state at 14". I'm a few miles above that line (and all the waters I fish at). It's rare to catch a walleye above 16" in the local reservoirs. That boundary line needs moved north another 50 miles to the glacial lakes region of the state.

Nice! Let us know how it holds up. I sold off my large spinning rig a couple years ago. Thinking about getting another and pick up fishing for cats again and also to have a back up/2nd pole for when I go to the northern part of the state for pike fishing.
    I def will, still waiting for the rod and line to arrive. It definitely feels solid, spins smooth.

🤔 never tried stingray, now I want to, then when I learn how to process the skin into leather, can make items out of it 🤑
    Most of the custom boot makers around Texas wont work with stingray anymore.
    Tough on needles hard to work and stiff on clients feet, was their complaint, looks great.
    My wife gave up on getting some made.

I think it would be great for some uses if you can learn to deal with it.

They will jump all over some squid for bait and use heavy tackle. If they pin to the bottom and won't move you stretch the line tight and then "twang" the line like a guitar string.

I have seen people hauled off in ambulances more from rays than anything else on the coast.

You also need a fish bat to keep pesky 12 year olds from trying to steal your reel and pilfering your backpack.

Most of the custom boot makers around Texas wont work with stingray anymore.
    Tough on needles hard to work and stiff on clients feet, was their complaint, looks great.
    My wife gave up on getting some made.

I think it would be great for some uses if you can learn to deal with it.

They will jump all over some squid for bait and use heavy tackle. If they pin to the bottom and won't move you stretch the line tight and then "twang" the line like a guitar string.

I have seen people hauled off in ambulances more from rays than anything else on the coast.
    Yeah it is hard to work with, but I def like it on the boots I have. Wasn’t too stiff, of course that being said, I wouldn’t use it for a wallet, will grind the shit out of denim.

I'm sure if a man were well healed, (lol) a pair of stingray boots could be had.
    They were popular for a while, but evidently required extra effort to produce?

If I come into a windfall I will pursue some for my wife.
    I'm more of a bullhide type or black ostrich if getting fancy.

I'm sure if a man were well healed, (lol) a pair of stingray boots could be had.
    They were popular for a while, but evidently required extra effort to produce?

If I come into a windfall I will pursue some for my wife.
    I'm more of a bullhide type or black ostrich if getting fancy.
    The hide is essentially covered in spheres made of dentin or rather teeth. They break needles like crazy, takes a lot of patience to work with. Plus it isn’t a cheap hide to be had.

Lol not saying it’s a bad material for a wallet but those little dentin spheres do little by little wear on fabrics, same with shark skin.

Eh...you're probably right. I dont have a stingray wallet or know 2 other people that carry them.
    I just read some cool shit about stingray on the internet.
    Bon Jour

They are all over the Gulf of Mexico and will eat about any bait, I have not caught them on crab to my recollection.

Targeting large ones that would tan out well for several boots is problematic requiring heavy gear and they are a bitch to crank in.

The rodeo really starts boatside trying not to get impaled by the barb. They actively try to stab you with it. Not user friendly.

My friends in Louisiana skin them first before filleting the wings out.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
    Sent back the 4 piece rod, ferrules didn’t fit together right, and bought a Graftech rod. Reel worked beautifully, tho no one was catching anything, except for the crabbers 🤣 was fun tho, was out there for 6 hours. Sunburnt to the point of setting off Geiger counters.