• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Fishing Sonars Anyone?

Boomholzer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2002
Midwest
I'm in the market for a fishing sonar, something portable that can be used in a canoe, mounted on a canoe.

I don't know much about them other then a 10year old Lowrance that is basically usefull as a depth finder. I don't find the fish marking to be trustworthly. I dont't have a issue putting together my own battery, charger and case for a unit that is not turn-key portable. However a suction cup mount and float for the transducer is needed.

Friends and family that know th electronics run units well in excess of a $1k. I was looking for something capable of bottom sonar only with decent ability to indicate bottom structure to 70ft. GPS is not required but would be nice if I make it to Canada again. $400 or less in budget.

I have done some shopping at Sports stores and I think I left more confused.

Any guidance, experience, or input?

thanks Hide,
-Boom

Re: Fishing Sonars Anyone?

I should be able to answer any question you have about them in general especially Lowrance products.

I do have several to sell.

i believe hummingbird makes a model for your exact application. ive had great luck with hummingbird. ive used them for many years on lake erie and ontario with outstanding results. Furuno makes some outstanding kit as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i believe hummingbird makes a model for your exact application. ive had great luck with hummingbird. ive used them for many years on lake erie and ontario with outstanding results. Furuno makes some outstanding kit as well. </div></div>

I think your referring to the PiranhaMAX? No idea how well it can define the bottom structure, the graphics look relatively limited.
The Humminbird Fish Finder 570 PT looks like a candidate. I'll google out Furuno.

The Lowrance X67C came recommended by a friend but not a portable kit.

-B