• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Fix it sticks or Borka?

BigJohn141

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
Timnath, Co
I’ve ran into a slight problem. In the process of moving from Ok to Co I have managed to misplace the Borka torque set I’ve had for 10 years. I really liked the way the break over handle worked and never had issues with it. With that said, looks like they are hard to come buy and I will be assembling a new rifle soon. I have a FAT wrench that will probably work but I’d rather get something a little better. How are the fix it sticks working out? I like the idea of getting a set with the adjustable torque head so it is more compact or would it be better to get the single value heads since they would probably be a little more precise?

I love mine set I don't regret it. Might buy the bigger kit in the future

Haven’t touched my Borka set since I got Fixit Sticks. I find the tools way more user friendly, along with the pouch it comes in. The adjustable torque head has been great, and only having to keep up with one torque head is awesome.

Reactions: DIBBS
I have the deluxe kit or whatever with the individual limiters (15,25,45,65) and I love it. Bought a couple more for specific applications and it goes with me every time I go shooting. Never broken anything, they've seen tons of use, specifically the 15, 25, 45, 49inlb ones. Never an issue. Would highly, highly recommend them. @cattleman99 is a hide commercial supporter and sells them and can get you hooked up!

Mile High and Scheels have them in stock also, they’ve got a huge kiosk of Fixit at MH.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
Didn't even see the OP is local. Yeah MHSA has em. That's where I got mine.

That’s good to know. I need to run down to MH and get a few things anyway. Didn’t even see them in scheels last time I was in there.
They’re hidden over by the scope rings, but they’re in there. I’m right down the road in Mead of you need anything local.

I have looked at the sticks and almost bought some. I'm a big fan of tools and need very little excuse to buy them.
If I see the need to use a Crows foot wrench one time, I usually buy an entire set of English and Metric. I was working on
a plane at the time.
I decided against the pre-set type and to be honest, looked no further! I like the ability to set a wrench to a lower setting and test it before I blindly commit to torque my relatively small gun screws. Most of which don't have the space to fix with a Heli-coil.

I have a Fat also and not impressed with it even though it works. I wish I would have bought something nicer.

All of my gear is treated with respect and kept like new. But I still fly with a parachute on my belly and have a back-up regulator when I dive.
Climbing ropes have a maximum life span of 5 years. Even though mine appeared to be new.... I still cut her in half and used it for
other things when it expired. If you drop aluminum carabiners, your not to use them again due to the possibility of stress fracturs.
Chopping my 12mm kernmantle rope in half was like a kick to the nuts....

My driver's instructor said to always look both ways at the train crossing otherwise your trusting your life to a mechanical device.
That must have been about 1978....
I have been described in a lot of described in a lot of ways but, Mr. Safety has never been one of them.

It looks like you can get a decent 1/4" click type for under $60.00. I just looked at the reviews.

IMnotHO

Attachments

• 20220204_185928.jpg
    20220204_185928.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00656.JPG
    DSC00656.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 88
  • Belize.jpg
    Belize.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 20211028_193439.jpg
    20211028_193439.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 93
I keep looking at the fix it sticks. May buy some at some point. Been using the FAT wrench for many years. Always been reliable. There was a chart here somewhere where they tested several of these torque wrenches and the FAT wrench did very well

I bought a fat wrench for my kit for swapping barrels on the AI’s. Among other uses. It comes with a calibration chart to show its accurate. Currently have 3 FAT wrenches in use

Based on that chart is the only reason I haven’t upgraded yet. Not to mention I can buy 5 FAT wrenches vs 1 kit with the limiters I would want

Here’s the test I’m thinking of

I have the fix it stick bench kit and a Mac tools 150 piece ratcheting screw driver. That combo works great for me

Borka fan here - I never leave home with out it. Boris builds a well thought out kit. I have an original and a later gen. I’d like to try his latest version, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

You don’t have a barrel vise for rent by chance? Lol
I have one of the viper barrel vices you could borrow but they aren't expensive. As long as you put something around the barrel (I use sheet rock tape, as in paper tape with a few layers), it works just fine.

I’m a late adopter of Fix It Sticks only because I’ve really liked and used my Borka (older version) for so long. The Borka is a nice kit and I probably won’t get rid of it just for the sake of having it around, but for ease of use, I’ve been reaching for the Fix It Sticks lately.
The Borka can sometimes be difficult and hard on the thumb to break over when applying the higher torque settings. With the Fix It Sticks, popping in the applicable limiter, or all in one driver, and the bit you’re using in the T handle and having it ready to go is very convenient.
Both kits ain’t cheap, but the other thing I prefer about the Fix It Sticks is if you don’t need everything in one of their already put together kits, you can buy the T handle and pieces together what you need.

TL;DR - The Borka kit is nice, but for the higher torque applications, if you don’t work concrete and bench over 275, get the Fix It Sticks.

Another vote for FIS. They’re great for having exactly what you need (and nothing you don’t) in a minimalistic tool field kit.

—-HOWEVER—-

Replace all of the bits you need with Wiha bits. I’ve found that the ones from FIS are eh.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will pick up a set of fix it sticks and if/when I find the Borka, I’ll keep it in the pack for field work.

I’ve ran into a slight problem. In the process of moving from Ok to Co I have managed to misplace the Borka torque set I’ve had for 10 years. I really liked the way the break over handle worked and never had issues with it. With that said, looks like they are hard to come buy and I will be assembling a new rifle soon. I have a FAT wrench that will probably work but I’d rather get something a little better. How are the fix it sticks working out? I like the idea of getting a set with the adjustable torque head so it is more compact or would it be better to get the single value heads since they would probably be a little more precise?
I far prefer to the single value torque limiters.