• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

fix my kit? CZ 457/Ruger/Christiansen arms

opherman47

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2021
Utah
ok... Long time lurker. Became a paid member today and this is my first post.

I was an infantry officer for 9 years in the national guard. I only ever shot with iron sight and red dot and feel like preparing and competing in some PRS and 22 NRL would be a good way to add skills to my marksmanship.

I have just purchase in order to start my journey:
1) a Christian arms MPR in 300 win mag (this will be for hunting only)
2) a ruger precision rimfire
3) a cz457 in their precision chassis.

I plan to add a 6mm once I have a comfort with the skills required and can get some primers and hand loading equipment.

scopes: I have 2 nightforce nx8 4-32 with the tremor reticle and a vortex venom 5x25 with the ebr-7c mrad reticle.

my plan was to put the vortex on the Ruger, and the nightforce scopes on the other 2 rifles.

What rings should I get for the Ruger to mount the vortex to it?

the 30mm ultralight separate mounting rings (pictures are for the MPR (it's what nightforce told me I should get 🤷‍♂️) is this right?

the unimount (pictured) was what nightforce told me to get for the ruger to mount the other NX8. but that puts me at 50 moa? and the nx8 only goes to 90 elevation adjustment??? so no clue there I though one should stay below 50% of your total elevation for the moa of your mounts???. and no worries because I want to put the vortex on there now and the nx8 on the cz457.

i purchased a 25 moa rail for the CZ from scar ( https://triggersbyscar.com/ols/products/25-moa-extended-picatinny-rail-for-cz-457 ) to add to the CZ to put the nightforce unimount that I have (20moa) for the nx8. that would put be at half of the elevation adjustment.

Is this good thinking for this stuff?

I also have an atlas tripod. I bought three bags from armegeddon: the schmedium game changer, the fat bag, and the rear squishy. I am planning on a tab gear sling.

I need 3 magazines for 22 NRL I think (who do you recommend for both the Ruger and the CZ) and what kind of carrier?

what else do I need to get out the gates on this? I was thinking of a weighted arc rail for the atlas bipod attachment? and possibly a mag release extension.

thanks in advance for your help..
there seems to be so much to navigate... In the army they just issue you stuff and you figure out the capabilities and go from there. It is definitely more challenging when you have to make your own purchase decisions.

☺️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211218-162949.png
    Screenshot_20211218-162949.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20211218-163511.png
    Screenshot_20211218-163511.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
a bit confused on ur elevation question... but

on a rim lfire you'll want max inclination.

considering you have adjustable cheek piece i'd be running a DIP rail 40moa and burris xtr rings to get yourself to the bottom of the elevation.

right but doesn't the amount of adjustment on the scope matter? and if you have a canted rail is the ring also canted??

you got me in a box trying to figure out what ur asking..

but the nx8 i had... had about 33 mils of travel if memory serves

most zero's will be the plus side of mid point.

25 moa base

plus 20 MOA mount inserts should get ya..

for a total of 45 moa of inclination

not sure a cantilever mount is what ya want.. and considering the price paid i'd go with a better setup. but kookyness aside it will work

okay for my Ruger precision rifle the base that comes on it is 30 MOA? should I find rings with another 15 MOA to it?

Rings by themselves don't have cant. A one piece mount can have cant, not rings. Least none that I'm aware of.

If the ruger has 30 moa already that's probably all you'll need.

Oh, it's a 22... you could use a one piece mount with some inclination then. No more then 20 moa.

okay for my Ruger precision rifle the base that comes on it is 30 MOA? should I find rings with another 15 MOA to it?

Reactions: opherman47
@spife7980 exactly there is so much stuff out here, hard to know what to do... like I have seen videos by 419 saying go half of total elevation, but when I called nightforce they recommended a total of 50? so still hard to understand

You also need to consider what distance you’ll zero the 22lr. If you have some closer shots (50 to 100yards) you need to decide if you’ll dial or hold over. In the matches I shoot in locally we go from 25 yards to 400 yards.

@BigRed308 yeah I'm not sure what the distances are.. I'm brand new and want to do some 22 NRL and those kinds of competitions. so how much do I need if I want a 25-yard shot?

@BigRed308 yeah I'm not sure what the distances are.. I'm brand new and want to do some 22 NRL and those kinds of competitions. so how much do I need if I want a 25-yard shot?
Looks like you are right there and just need to buy some hardware and see how it works and figure out what you need depending on your skill level. Get some trigger time and learn how to shoot the wind, that is the only way to figure out what you need. If you are not accurate at 100 yds how do you expect to shoot 300 yds. Good top tier ammo is the name of the game and if you can find some it's not cheap.
Start with mid range hardware and use good ammo. A 25-30 MOA rail is all you need with a scope that is at least 3 time the cost of your rifle. Good Scopes move from gun to gun as you get better. You have to see where the thousands & thousands of dollars are going.
PS: Get a chronograph, the FSP on the box is useless data you have to know the FSP from your muzzle to see how the POI shifts as the SD changes. Have fun and enjoy the adventure, its a challenge to get it right. Highly reviewed ammo are mostly a sales jobs to get channel viewers and free ammo, caveat emptor. Reviews are purely entertainment at best and if done well shows good the video editing skills.

depends on how far out you're planning on shooting the rifle. Try it without the extra cant and see what you get.

I'm no expert, so take this as a n00b's 'lessons in rimfire PRS style matches' The farthest I've shot in a match was 325yds. (IIRC) and the scope adjustment and holdovers got me more or less on target. MOST of the targets are 70 to 200 yards at that range. The other range I've shot at, the targets are 50-ish to 195 yards. My BMR has a 30MOA rail on it from the factory. My CZ has a 25MOA rail on it now.

I usually run my Venom around 12x on stages that have movement. I've spent lots of my 90sec playing 'where'd the target go?!' before and the wider field of view helps. Last KYL I shot I couldn't get past the 4th target, but had kept my scope on 12x, Next one, I'll try dialing in the zoom since I'm not moving much between targets on a KYL rack. We'll see how that goes.

If you don't already have a barrier bag, you'll want one. I fought against the idea for my first few matches. I'm stubborn like that. Broke down and made one and liked it, but I made my bag too big. ...so I found an Armageddon gear bag on sale. Mo bettah. Having said that your squadmates should let you borrow their stuff. *Should*

I'm still figuring stuff out as I go, but those are some of the lessons I've learned so far.

M

You also need to consider what distance you’ll zero the 22lr. If you have some closer shots (50 to 100yards) you need to decide if you’ll dial or hold over. In the matches I shoot in locally we go from 25 yards to 400 yards.
I had my rifle zeroed at 100yds for a while. People were looking at me like I had a hand growing out of my forehead. So I went back to 50. Seems to be not quite 7MOA dial for 100yds now. I'll have to go back to the range to make sure cause my rail loosened up on me

That 100yd zero worked fairly well on one of the 2 ranges I shoot. Not quite so well at the other. Trying to hold under for a 30yd target is 'interesting.'

M