• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fix the Message

Some things have already been written to explain that which is coming...

...think it not strange when these things begin to happen...

and...

...there will be wars, and there will be rumors of war...

already written, long ago.

Stay calm, and keep yourself collected with these matters.

You can't change that which if prophesied.

One issue I think is going to be that the internet has sort of accelerated the tendency of people to balkanize and hang out in comfortable echo chambers. It's getting to be a bit where every side primarily wants to hang out in their own clubhouse denouncing the opposition vehemently.
It kind of makes it hard to actually influence people with opposing viewpoints in a positive way.
City forums provide a bit of a middle ground.

Reactions: TACC
Format and Delivery.

Long time ago, in the 'olden days', there used to be messengers whom would deliver a telegram to someone. They would then stand there, and await a reply (to the sender) from the receiver.

If such a manner existed today, and these 'pointed' letters were actually delivered to the intended target (poor choice of word?) AND that person had to actually read said letter AND reply, right then and there..... some thought would actually be involved.

As opposed to the field of secretaries simply dumping the form letters into the trash, and/or summarizing what was said (from a biased position) or worse yet, emails would simply be discounted/ignored/sent to trash.

So, what do you think about THAT tangent? How do we BEST make this viable?

The problem is that letters and emails are filed and then ignored, because they don’t influence the officials into action. And you might as well save the stamp if it’s a form letter because they don’t carry ANY weight. The only thing that the Reps care about during district/DC weekly meetings is what are the walk ins and town hall speakers concerned about.

The problem with walk ins and town hall speakers is that when it’s a topic like this where emotions take over once the adrenaline floods in at the mic/conference room. That’s where our fellow fucktards are fucking us. By shouting this “cold dead hands/come and take em/ill be waiting” bullshit.

Been there, worked town halls/phones/cases, seen it first hand. I’ve watched people line up and yell about “X” during their 2-min mic time with zero action or thought given to the matter but then someone comes up and respectfully voices their concerns about the same “X” and asks to discuss the matter further in a meeting. Guess who got face time with the Rep the following week...every.single.time. Shit I’ve also answered enough constituent calls to tell you that mass calls/scripts don’t work either. Every time they got done reading from the script, a simple question or two would reveal zero depth or even any actual knowledge of the opinion the “deeply care” about. Or if they did, they couldn’t put it into words without cursing, yelling, or threatening, which got them flagged in the system and, if it happened enough or crosses a line, blocked and reported to USCP.

Be professional, educated, and concise with your elevator pitch if you want your concerns to linger between the left and right lateral limits of the brain housing group.

Ditch the open letters/firm letters/mass emails/calls, get off of your asses, put on respectable attire, and be active with your officials during their events. That’s how you get them to listen.

Cool, calm, collective wins. Not posting threats or smart ass “oh I’m not threatening I’m just saying hypothetically” bullshit online or anywhere for that matter. Also yelling “shall not be infringed/no step on snek” doesn’t fucking help.

Just a #ProTip from someone who’s been on the other side, seen how fucked up it actually is, and knows what carries the most weight in the decision making process.

You have a lot of sound advice that we all need to heed. To paraphrase what you've said, if you stop thinking and let emotions drive you, then you'll lose the fight every time. That is as true as the day is long.

Point to ponder, though, perhaps the reason so many people get so emotional over this is that 1) it's flagrant disregard of the COTUS, 2) the polar opposite of what we were promised when we voted for them, and 3) historically been proven to result in genocide every time it's been used.

You're right on, devil, but understand that many of the screamers have ancestors that experienced this first hand - like the story @thejeep told. I'll say it again, your advice is right on the mark.

S/F, and God bless America

You have a lot of sound advice that we all need to heed. To paraphrase what you've said, if you stop thinking and let emotions drive you, then you'll lose the fight every time. That is as true as the day is long.

Point to ponder, though, perhaps the reason so many people get so emotional over this is that 1) it's flagrant disregard of the COTUS, 2) the polar opposite of what we were promised when we voted for them, and 3) historically been proven to result in genocide every time it's been used.

You're right on, devil, but understand that many of the screamers have ancestors that experienced this first hand - like the story @thejeep told. I'll say it again, your advice is right on the mark.

S/F, and God bless America
?

The people that want to take guns made themselves exempt from "Insider Trading" laws and "Obamacare".

No disagreement there, but I’m talking about the population that supports the corrupt politicians, not the politicians themselves. The bunch of spineless soulless hermaphrodites they are, on both sides of the aisle.

The only way to sway the population of mindless drones is to make this personal to them as well. Then they can apply pressure to the spineless politikans.

When I was a little kid ... looong looong ago ... the NRA was a "good thing" ... they sponsored championships and training and other sorts of "show and do" events. They were sort of like a civilian adjunct to the armed forces ... they seemed to be the "good guys".

What happened !!??

Why can't the NRA rebuild this sort of image ?? Now their only image is that of a "lobbyist" ... is that really all they are ??

If the NRA can't do it, some other group needs to.

The "Battle" for the Constitution is not an event, it is a process ... in order to reinstate and sustain the inhibition on Congress to infringe upon our inherent right to keep and bear arms we need organizations that behave like the "good guys" ... do women and children still need to learn about firearms ? That isn't gonna change. The NRA should be DRIVING this sort of activity.

==
Not saying letters aren't good ... I wrote both of my senators ... and one wrote back ... but heque, I'm in Kansas and they are both goppers.

==
There's also a "battle" for context. An occasional conversation with those on the other side often starts with them asking me if I agree "We have a gun violence" problem." And I say "Short answer, No." But then if they are still listening, I explain that is a "context defining" question ... and would be similar to declaring that aircraft should be banned after 9/11. Did we have an "airplane violence" problem ? Of course that sounds absurd ... but the problem is ... the conversation never gets past this point ... unless the anti-gunners get their context, they are done. They are out of their script and unable to continue to have a conversation. There really is no dialog with the "other side".
==

Are there really "middle ground" people ? Maybe? I will make it a point in the next week, to find one middle ground person ... who isn't a gunner. The only middle ground people I've ever seen are gunners who are willing to give an inch to the other side, hoping they won't take the mile. Yield to the incrementalism. For those, I try to point out where the "incrementalism" has gotten us. The NFA, the GCA, The FOPA. Without repeal of those, ideally in the reverse order they were passed, the 2A is all but dead already.

==

And remember, DC vs Heller was one vote away from interpreting the 2A out of existence. Had the vote been the other way our right to keep and bear arms would've only applied to our service in the NG (or military) ... if ordered to pick up a weapon, we pick it up. If ordered to put it down, we put it down. That would be it.

==
Back to the "organization" point. I still think we need an organization like the old NRA that embodies the idea of teaching about firearms and organizing competitions ... and learning ... and focuses on that as a part of the "battle" for the hearts and minds of the citizens to continue to support the Constitution.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
No disagreement there, but I’m talking about the population that supports the corrupt politicians, not the politicians themselves. The bunch of spineless soulless hermaphrodites they are, on both sides of the aisle.

The only way to sway the population of mindless drones is to make this personal to them as well. Then they can apply pressure to the spineless politikans.

Exactly just like when a non gun liking, not loving, Democrat gets mugged, or accosted then they become gun loving people all of a sudden. Becoming a victim of a criminal act, regardless if how violent it may be, changes their whole outlook, quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Reactions: lash
One issue I think is going to be that the internet has sort of accelerated the tendency of people to balkanize and hang out in comfortable echo chambers. It's getting to be a bit where every side primarily wants to hang out in their own clubhouse denouncing the opposition vehemently.
It kind of makes it hard to actually influence people with opposing viewpoints in a positive way.

I think you're exactly right. Mass media, in all forms, has been fanning the flames of division to the point where most people from opposing viewpoints find it very hard to engage in useful dialog with each other. My concern is that the division will continue to get worse, to the extent of a flashpoint. If that happens, my fear is that the magnitude of the damage will be well beyond what most people on either side would have imagined.

But, the Media will be right there, covering everything. If it bleeds, it leads.......

Last edited:
What killed more people than a gun today?
Cars.
Doctors.
McDonald's.
Clubs/sticks.
Knives.
Cigarettes.

When Lincoln went to Gettysburg, there was a crowd of people who came expecting to hear a hour or so oration from Lincoln. He gave a three minute speech and many people left feeling cheated because he did not give and hour long one. Yet that speech became one of the most powerful speeches ever written.

My point is a long dissertation is almost never read and the point usually could have been made in a few paragraphs. People have a short attention spans. Communications should be short and direct to be effective. But it also must be interesting enough to compel someone to read it (other than your fans and your mom.) This is not easy. People have to feel it or it means nothing.

My opinion. We will never win the Media's hearts and minds. As we reach out to affect the narrative, we will still be the "Gun-nuts". Any organization we form will be demonized. The best we can be is peaceful and quiet. They will never be able to convince everyone we are otherwise. Everyone has an uncle, brother, father or friend with a gun.

Passing a law is easy, coming and getting them will be hard. And they damn well know it.

I am aware of one incidence where a tyrant tried to take our guns. He lost a Colony.

The fact of the matter is any letter to whatever degree it is circulated will have little effect on changing anyone's mind who is a part of the Congressional entourage. Politicos are as resolute in taking away our 2A rights as we are in keeping them. Doesn't matter whether they are left or right leaning...they are afraid of people that are armed and who could pose an unusual degree of danger to them AND their policies that we typically don't agree with. Everyone points at the latest remarks made by the grand duck Beto and the other members of the clown show as PROOF of their desire. It really took that to wake people up?! If so, that is sad....these people have been there throughout my life. Gun grabbers will never go away and their degree of influence is cyclical in nature. The following image is something to really think about...

Government's boot.png

Neither Trump nor anyone in politics is our friend....FUDDs will continue to beat the drum that all we want is "military style" weapons that have no place in sporting circles. They are getting their message out and they're getting it out to the "average" joe. Believe it or not, there are not as many people that are completely polarized on one side or another. Many are on the fence and these are the people that need to be swayed. Letters are not going to do it....getting involved will.

Take anyone and everyone out that expresses an interest in shooting. Let them fire an AR, a handgun, a bolt rifle, etc. Get involved with groups like Appleseed that teach kids...our best bet is to get our message out is to ENCOURAGE the sport. To show these people that ARs aren't a weapon of war. I have never taken a newbie shooting and had a bad episode. I would rather spend several hours taking newbies out than writing letters to politicians who will NEVER see your letter or give a flying fuck what you think.

YOU ARE THE ENEMY and the written word means jack to them. Improving our image is only possible through a concerted effort to indoctrinate new people into the shooting sports and increasing the membership of people who understand and recognize the "gun culture" that makes us different from any other country on this planet.

Last edited:
The campaign from the leftists is basically two parts

1. An AR (or weapon of war or military style weapon, etc) has one purpose, to kill an many people as possible as fast as possible

and

2. Gun owners support murdering children

The other side needs two sounds bites to combat this misinformation and counterpoints here are really difficult

on #1, you cannot use sporting or hunting arguments as those are quickly addressed, use a bolt action gun instead of an AR, if only one life is saved it will be worth it (this is truly how the left looks at it, remember they have never fired a gun)

on #2, as soon as you say but abortion, they shut off, to them abortion is not murder and that quickly derails any conversation into an abortion one, not where you want to be

How do you counteract this point of view?

I think the only approach is based on one of freedom and the constitution, but then I remember our leftist friends do not give a shit about either of those either.

So what fact can be put in a sound bite that the left will listen to? So far I have come up with nothing.

You need something as powerful as AR15s can stop global warming for them to listen :)

Reactions: PusherX11 and TACC
I get it...nothing will do any good we are doomed. Is that your message, Blacksmith?

'Cause that's what I got from you so far - yer the expert on this and everyone else knows jack. Looking forward to your solution...

VooDoo

I am aware of one incidence where a tyrant tried to take our guns. He lost a Colony.

I drive through the "Battle Road, Minuteman National Park" daily.

The Colonists accepted a number of abuses.

They did not accept disarmament and loss of right to self defend.

The Second Amendment is solely in response to the events of Aprl 19, 1775. To claim any other purpose is absurd.

Beto, would you want to be on the Green in Lexington with a sling shot or a Brown Bess?

They may win the argument; but if they resort to coercion, they may start something they can't win.

That would be horribly regrettable, and would likely turn many, maybe most, Americans into people they would never dream of becoming without that coercion.

I believe the Left not only recognizes this but welcomes it. In some Schizophrenic way, they may believe that gives them some deluded claim to higher ground. That's simply mass suicidal psychosis of the stupidest kind. One does not earn the higher ground via coercion.

In reality, you poke the dog with the stick enough times; you get to see its teeth.

Don't blame the dog.

In the meantime, some outside observers may be hoping for a "Let's you and them fight" scenario. It would take just such a domestic distraction to lay the Nation wide open for infiltration and a foreign crafted defeat.

Hell, probably half of them are already through our porous borders, another Leftist innovation.

Never look for threats in only one direction. It's the other hand that's usually doing the dirt.

I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of that includes Iranian Republican Guard Sleeper Cells. They've been sore at us for a long time.

Telefon, anyone...?

Writing is simply poorly aimed flatulence. Talk's cheap, mine included.

My worries are about the silent types.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Snipe260
A couple of motivating videos I recently stumbled upon, and thought about again after those here mentioning the only thing that seems to work is actually showing up in person and talking. One video is now a year old. The other is 6, but they are just as, if not more, valid today. God help us. (Sorry these are on FB, but you might be able to watch them anyway. If anyone knows how to embed them differently, let me know)

As I have watched this thread unfold I am more confident that there is hope to move the needle. This sort of conversation is the right starting point even if many of us have a different perspective the approach. Implemented at the right time and in the right way most things mentioned here is a step in the right direction. It seems as if people are starting to DO something. For a very long time I have heard folks here on SH say things like " I am done with CA. I am moving to TX so good luck to you suckers in CA". Ok. Fine. Maybe you had to follow a job but what did you DO once you left CA? Probably nothing..... And thats how evil thrives. Cause not enough of you strident talkers DID anything.

Whether you like it or not much of population is trained to respond based on emotion. So we need to drive our message knowing that.

I live in CA and my reach is not great but I am fighting. What do I do?

I get as many women and kids involved in shooting as I can. That wont help in this next election cycle but it will work as they are my ambassadors. I bring the gun, ammo, ear plugs, eye protection, targets and pay for range fees. I do everything I can to make this as fun and interesting as possible. That frequently means that, with the kids, we go out to ice cream afterwards. No heavy messages. Just fun.

With the women I try to bring other women how have shot along to drive the conversations. Simple things like "now that I know how to shoot and have a gun I dont have to be as afraid any more". And again, after the range session I try to get them to go do things. One thing that helps is a short shopping trip to see the purses that are carry specific. No heavy messages. Just fun.

Find the way that you can DO something locally. Take the long view on this. I recently was helping a recent widow figure out some stuff her late husband left around. She was sad, overwhelmed and a bit scared about her future. The news came on the radio about a shooting and she sort of lost it. I just listened to her rail about guns and stupid people that have them. I agreed that any murder is a tragedy and let her talk. When she ran out of steam I shared a story about a lady I know who lives in North Eastern CA. Essentially the story was one where, by having a gun, the lady was able to equalize the situation between her and her tormentor. And, additionally, she was less afraid every day now that she carried. It would have made no sense to address the widow's concerns by spewing all sorts of facts. She was thinking emotionally so my first response was one based on emotion she could relate to.

Am I against a letter writing campaign? Nope. Do I think it turns the ship around? Nope. Do I think its great people are starting to DO something? Yep.

Now ask yourself..... have you donated to a conservatives campaign in a purple state like FL, TX, NV? Come on now. It isnt going to kill you to send $20. Have you asked your local scout troop if you can help? Have you asked women shooters if you can help set up and subsidize a women only shooting trip? Have you donated to Judicial Watch?

Instead of arguing about what strategy would work or not, or work at all, lets argue about how effective something we recently did was.

So you start with the letter writing thing Frank is suggesting and I will join you. I will also share the success of my fund raising to help get a conservative elected in a seat currently held by a Dem here in CA. And I hope some of my friends in NV will point out how they got the governorship back or turned a representative/senators seat. Lets then argue who DID more for the cause and if I lose and that makes me a punk ass bitch then so be it. At least we will be DOING something.

Another part of the messaging mark it seems we are missing, is diversifying. I see and go to 2a rallies, PRS matches, gunshows, the ranges etc, and it's nothing but middle aged white dudes and a few white gals.

We sure as hell can't win this if we don't involve more blacks, Hispanics, Asians etc. Now I know there are a few here and there, but their numbers are tiny. I think out of the thousands of PRS shooters I've seen at all these matches, I've seen one or at most, two black dudes. I know some of them like guns, and hunting etc, so why aren't more out competing? I have no idea...I'm a middle aged white dude.

This is a cultural thing that needs to cross racial boundaries. It won't survive if it's just looked at as a Caucasian thing. I know of a few folks I see on Instagram trying to change this, like Colion Noir, Antonia Okafor, Maj Toure, etc. and they're doing an awesome job I feel.

It's great to see kids being involved in 2A, as they should, and groups like KidSAFE Foundation and 2A Kids, are doing awesome things as well. Are there any inner city orgs that promote shooting sports to minorities?

I speak from an upper Midwest perspective. How does what I see here compare to other parts of the country?

Reactions: QuickNDirty
I went to the range today and hit a bunch of news channels out and back and we are missing the mark on the messaging regarding Gun Control and Beta's remark last night.

This is a full-on coordinated assault on our rights, and they are winning the argument even when they don't agree with what was said and think it will have negative consequences. They even turned the Anti Vaping, stop Juul from selling flavored tobacco into an Anti Gun Message. It's is non-stop and being shouted on every network, (sans one) and there is no sign they will stop. This has become personal, they are looking to punish law-abiding gun owners as it is linked directly to Trump along with the NRA. Short answer, we are Trump and the NRA and WE have to be stopped.

For them, it's emotional, they have no facts, they don't know the first thing about guns, but in this case, it can work. They are coordinating these conversations and their lines of attack. Weapons of War, Assault Weapons, Military Grade, all Keywords being used to describe the rifle in a negative way. They don't even consider a Semi-Auto a Rifle, ya I know their ignorance but perception is the current reality.

Who are they going after, you're wives, daughters, and children. For an hour today, I hear 5 references to school active shooter drills. How it is affecting kids, how they are scared to go to school. They want to push every soccer Mom they can reach into banning them in order to save their children.

They have the messaging down, it's on repeat, and it is not going to stop.

We need to start getting on these shows, even the Liberals ones and put out a counter-message. We need to show Law Abiding Gun Owners in a better light. A 19-year-old who took his Dad's rifle or just bought his first rifle so he can Kook Out is not a true representation of gun owners. This messaging needs to change, we need to insert ourselves into the conversation in a bigger way.

Yes, we all knew what Beta said is what every one of them is thinking, and that cannot be overlooked. As long as they touch an emotional chord it will not change. Sure it's the same old lines, No One needs an AR to Hunt, it's a Military Weapon, etc, while we get it, these are false equivalencies, are void of facts and have been stated before, today it is resonating with a lot more people. The encroachment is real, and now it's our front door with a guy hiding in the bushes by the back, just in case.

We need to coordinate beyond the NRA, they are weakened, they are missing the mark on their messaging, and we have other groups that can help fill in the gaps, we just need to step up and support these groups.

Talk to your wives, your kids, and have them push a positive message. Keep it short, keep it clean and be straight about it. Throwing a ton of facts at them is great, but facts do not speak to the emotion of the situation. They are running on pure emotion with not much else, but it may be enough, fix the problem by reaching in pulling them out their own spiral.

Be smart, don't try to go viral with stupid stunts like walking into a Wal Mart open carrying 2 days after a shooting. Instead, engage anyone and everyone with a positive message that Gun Owners are not the problem, Guns are not the problem, think the Riddle of Steel...

Rant out

well said.

okay, ate, took a shower, had an idear....

We need to craft, a letter to the editor we can ALL submit locally as well as nationally. Basically just flood all media with a group letter from Law Abiding Gun Owners,

We group draft a letter that will change the narrative, to any degree is better than what I heard today.

We hit the high points, appeal to their emotions with ours, we are your neighbors, friends, doctors, lawyers, airline pilots, Moms, Dads, etc.

I say we have a draft by Tuesday
ok. good idea. who will do it?

Another part of the messaging mark it seems we are missing, is diversifying. I see and go to 2a rallies, PRS matches, gunshows, the ranges etc, and it's nothing but middle aged white dudes and a few white gals.

We sure as hell can't win this if we don't involve more blacks, Hispanics, Asians etc. Now I know there are a few here and there, but their numbers are tiny. I think out of the thousands of PRS shooters I've seen at all these matches, I've seen one or at most, two black dudes. I know some of them like guns, and hunting etc, so why aren't more out competing? I have no idea...I'm a middle aged white dude.

This is a cultural thing that needs to cross racial boundaries. It won't survive if it's just looked at as a Caucasian thing. I know of a few folks I see on Instagram trying to change this, like Colion Noir, Antonia Okafor, Maj Toure, etc. and they're doing an awesome job I feel.

It's great to see kids being involved in 2A, as they should, and groups like KidSAFE Foundation and 2A Kids, are doing awesome things as well. Are there any inner city orgs that promote shooting sports to minorities?

I speak from an upper Midwest perspective. How does what I see here compare to other parts of the country?
sounds lie affirmative action...

The single largest issue in my opinion is getting them to listen to actual facts and data versus running on emotion. I see many people spit out false data that was probably reported someplace else and it sticks, then is repeated over and over. Trying to sway the opinions of the haters will be almost impossible. My manager for example, hates firearms of all types. She will not change her opinion no matter how hard I have tried to explain it to her. Many of the people in my department shoot or own firearms, or want to own firearms.

I have another friend that is a liberal and some other friends and I took him shooting. He loved it, went all in and started to see the light. The second there were the shootings in TX and OH he instantly went back to being a liberal and sold off his AR rifle. He literally regressed in a matter of days. I did however, convert a young guy at my office who was indoctrinated in college. He realized the flaws in his ways and actually turned conservative and purchased firearms. He went from an Obama voter to voting for Trump.

There are also several hunters that only believe in using rifles and shotguns. They could care less about everything else and do not support us. I witnessed this at petition signature events here in CA. They refused to sign anything to help protect the 2nd because it had to do with "Assault Rifles" .

Writing my local and state politicians is a waste of time. They care less and are puppets to their donors.

How do we get the media to change the narrative? That is a tough task as well. Getting our side of the story out there is not possible on the mainstream media.

I am not saying all is lost or that we shouldn't try. I just think there needs to be a certain target for the information,maybe people that are not closed minded and will be willing to listen to facts and people like us. How do we determine who that is? I agree a consistent message would work. Hell it works for the left and the media. You can see it happen all the time. They deliver a consistent message.

I see more and more non white people at the local gun show showing an interest as well as my local club. I welcome them. Others do not.

Too little, too late.

Some may believe that to fight a war, even losing it, is a worthy effort. My Wife's family did this (Germany, WWII), and there is no honor in fighting a losing war.

I don't want their affection, I don't want their agreement; because offering such to them is precisely the same thing as tossing pearls before swine. No matter what you do, it's never enough; the only thing they ever want is more.

You can cajole, condone, compromise until you're blue in the face; none of it will resolve anything of value.

I've said it before, the only winning move is not to play. It's their game, with their rules, and none of those rules will ever permit them to lose.

I am no longer a part of such discussions. I have a home, I have a family, and I'm just going to hunker down and watch the perimeter.

It's discouraging.

It's also reality.

We are not facing a choice, there are no options. We face an existential crossroads.

Someone will survive that, but damn if I can say who. Meanwhile, should my family truly require a defense, I will do what I can.

Anyone who believes this is a game to be won is a fool.

Anyone who believes an offense is called for is simply standing up, begging for the hammer to fall.

They want you to make the first move. To do so is to damn us all.

I wait.

Greg

This is a marksmanship site. I sincerely hope I am wise enough to confine my further utterance to that line of discourse. I expect to fail, but when I do, it will be with the best of intentions; just like that journey down the road to Hell...

Last edited:
So..., turn it around.

You will neither succeed nor fail solely on the input I would have provided.

So..., turn it around.

You will neither succeed nor fail solely on the input I would have provided.

I work on it every day... more connections, more common ground found, more trust, more respect.... more voters, more enthusiasm, more hope, more goals.

One by one winning hearts and minds.

Maybe one day I'll win yours, too!

I went to the range today and hit a bunch of news channels out and back and we are missing the mark on the messaging regarding Gun Control and Beta's remark last night.

This is a full-on coordinated assault on our rights, and they are winning the argument even when they don't agree with what was said and think it will have negative consequences. They even turned the Anti Vaping, stop Juul from selling flavored tobacco into an Anti Gun Message. It's is non-stop and being shouted on every network, (sans one) and there is no sign they will stop. This has become personal, they are looking to punish law-abiding gun owners as it is linked directly to Trump along with the NRA. Short answer, we are Trump and the NRA and WE have to be stopped.

For them, it's emotional, they have no facts, they don't know the first thing about guns, but in this case, it can work. They are coordinating these conversations and their lines of attack. Weapons of War, Assault Weapons, Military Grade, all Keywords being used to describe the rifle in a negative way. They don't even consider a Semi-Auto a Rifle, ya I know their ignorance but perception is the current reality.

Who are they going after, you're wives, daughters, and children. For an hour today, I hear 5 references to school active shooter drills. How it is affecting kids, how they are scared to go to school. They want to push every soccer Mom they can reach into banning them in order to save their children.

They have the messaging down, it's on repeat, and it is not going to stop.

We need to start getting on these shows, even the Liberals ones and put out a counter-message. We need to show Law Abiding Gun Owners in a better light. A 19-year-old who took his Dad's rifle or just bought his first rifle so he can Kook Out is not a true representation of gun owners. This messaging needs to change, we need to insert ourselves into the conversation in a bigger way.

Yes, we all knew what Beta said is what every one of them is thinking, and that cannot be overlooked. As long as they touch an emotional chord it will not change. Sure it's the same old lines, No One needs an AR to Hunt, it's a Military Weapon, etc, while we get it, these are false equivalencies, are void of facts and have been stated before, today it is resonating with a lot more people. The encroachment is real, and now it's our front door with a guy hiding in the bushes by the back, just in case.

We need to coordinate beyond the NRA, they are weakened, they are missing the mark on their messaging, and we have other groups that can help fill in the gaps, we just need to step up and support these groups.

Talk to your wives, your kids, and have them push a positive message. Keep it short, keep it clean and be straight about it. Throwing a ton of facts at them is great, but facts do not speak to the emotion of the situation. They are running on pure emotion with not much else, but it may be enough, fix the problem by reaching in pulling them out their own spiral.

Be smart, don't try to go viral with stupid stunts like walking into a Wal Mart open carrying 2 days after a shooting. Instead, engage anyone and everyone with a positive message that Gun Owners are not the problem, Guns are not the problem, think the Riddle of Steel...

Rant out

So far, I've just read the OP, which is well said. Very well said.

Grass roots is the way to go. Win them over, one heart and mind at a time. Take a newbie to the range!

Be NORMAL. Like Frank said... don't be THAT GUY that walks into Walmart open carrying like Tactical Tony. PLEASE! You're NOT helping.

Be a NORMAL person who owns and uses firearms. Don't be the stereotype.

Shortly after Sandy Hook, I was contacted by CNBC to be interviewed for a special on the AR-15. No guarantee that I'd make the final cut. But, I agreed to do it. The CNBC team flew down to see me. They spent three days with me! One day filming in my office - I'm a dentist. One day filming me being a "hockey dad." And one day at the range.

They asked me to bring some friends to the range session. I asked many gun-owning friends. Most refused. Two agreed. Then I needed to set up some range time at an outdoor range. Outdoor ranges are few and far between here. The first range refused to host us. The second agreed with the condition that they could video the whole thing, too. No problem.

The point of the previous paragraph is that most firearms owners CLAM UP when given the opportunity to advocate for our Rights. The wrong ones (Tactical Tony in Walmart) pipe up, and the good guys run for the hills. :(

I have to admit that I had reservations. This could go sideways. Though, I know my shit, and I can hold my own on and off camera on this topic. I can stay on point, too. Let's face it... we KNOW what they're going to ask / say. Don't say anything that can be used against you / us in isolation (editing), and you're golden.

Long story, short... it went very very well. And, not only did I make the final cut... they opened the 1-hour special with me! I got about 3 minutes out of the 40-min show (1 hour minus ad time). That's a lot of time in that biz. CNBC re-ran that show frequently for THREE years.

I have no regrets. While I thought twice about it, I also knew that these opportunities don't come along often. I knew if I passed, I'd regret it. So, if you ever get the opportunity (can be local, not necessarily national), don't pass it up! Show them that NORMAL people (even dentists!) are responsible, trustworthy gun owners and enthusiasts.

We are the majority of gun owners, not the exception!

That was one of the questions the host / journalist asked me... Who is the typical AR-15 owner?

Me! I'm the typical AR-15 owner.

Last edited:
I work on it every day... more connections, more common ground found, more trust, more respect.... more voters, more enthusiasm, more hope, more goals.

One by one winning hearts and minds.

Maybe one day I'll win yours, too!
This is the bear pit it serves its function as a place to bounce shit off the wall that doesn't fit anywhere else here. I for one would would hate to lose input from Mr. Greg and yes it could be the deciding factor if I had not the opportunity to at least read it what I do with it? Nothing I have ever read in any of his posts would lead me to the contrary.

So far, I've just read the OP, which is well said. Very well said.

Grass roots is the way to go. Win them over, one heart and mind at a time. Take a newbie to the range!

Be NORMAL. Like Frank said... don't be THAT GUY that walks into Walmart open carrying like Tactical Tony. PLEASE! You're NOT helping.

Be a NORMAL person who owns and uses firearms. Don't be the stereotype.

Shortly after Sandy Hook, I was contacted by CNBC to be interviewed for a special on the AR-15. No guarantee that I'd make the final cut. But, I agreed to do it. The CNBC team flew down to see me. They spent three days with me! One day filming in my office - I'm a dentist. One day filming me being a "hockey dad." And one day at the range.

They asked me to bring some friends to the range session. I asked many gun-owning friends. Most refused. Two agreed. Then I needed to set up some range time at an outdoor range. Outdoor ranges are few and far between here. The first range refused to host us. The second agreed with the condition that they could video the whole thing, too. No problem.

The point of the previous paragraph is that most firearms owners CLAM UP when given the opportunity to advocate for our Rights. The wrong ones (Tactical Tony in Walmart) pipe up, and the good guys run for the hills. :(

I have to admit that I had reservations. This could go sideways. Though, I know my shit, and I can hold my own on and off camera on this topic. I can stay on point, too. Let's face it... we KNOW what they're going to ask / say. Don't say anything that can be used against you / us in isolation (editing), and you're golden.

Long story, short... it went very very well. And, not only did I make the final cut... they opened the 1-hour special with me! I got about 3 minutes out of the 40-min show (1 hour minus ad time). That's a lot of time in that biz. CNBC re-ran that show frequently for THREE years.

I have no regrets. While I thought twice about it, I also knew that these opportunities don't come along often. I knew if I passed, I'd regret it. So, if you ever get the opportunity (can be local, not necessarily national), don't pass it up! Show them that NORMAL people (even dentists!) are responsible, trustworthy gun owners and enthusiasts.

We are the majority of gun owners, not the exception!

That was one of the questions the host / journalist asked me... Who is the typical AR-15 owner?

Me! I'm the typical AR-15 owner.
Please post a link so that we can do as you've done. No kidding. Otherwise I'll have to google this and probably won't find it. Glad you hit one out of the park.

God bless America