• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed 10X scopes

Griffin4590

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Anchorage Alaska
Looking at one of the SWFA SS 10X schopes but i'm wondering what the general consensus on a fix 10x being enough for hunting out to about 700 and ringing steel to 1k. I'd go with the 16X but that maybe to much for closer shots.
Any input?

Re: Fixed 10X scopes

Good 10x glass can do about anything you need it to do. I ran a 16xSS for competition for a couple years. GREAT scope for the money but as you stated too much magnification for anything under 100yards and it took time to find targets which in a hunting or tactical competition situation is a bad thing. I have since moved to a USO ST-10 which is much more expensive but the difference is night and day. I can see more at 1k with my 10x USO than I could with my 16xSS because of glass clarity. And I can pick up targets much faster which helps ALOT in some situations. If I was you and my budget was under $400.00 I'd definately go SS 10X and be in great shape. At this point I'd wait a couple months and get the new retacle they are going to release with the matching turrets and call it a day.

Good luck,
Merritt

The Bushnell 3200 or Elite Tactical 10x40 is tops for the fixed 10x, $300 category. I have looked through a couple of the SS 10x (non-HD) and I feel the Bushnell is better. I also like the feel, fit and finish of the Bushnell better.

A fixed 10x is generally good for MOA targets. Once you start to get less than that at long range it becomes harder to pick out small target.

Spent 8 years in Anchorage, Did a lot of sheep hunting over in the Valdez area. For what my hunting trips usually costed, I think I would step up to a bit more scope.
Spotter is more critcal, difference between a full curl and a 7/8ths is a meeting with Fish and Game. I have shot them at 500yds and shot them at 15 with a recurve.

It fun either way

I can shoot mule deer broadside in the front 1/3 of the body with a 2X scope at 500 yards, or with the scope set on 7X. It does not seem to matter. The critical part is getting the elevation turret adjusted for the distance.

If the kill zone is like a 15" circle, that is like hitting a 3" circle at 100 yards. The problem becomes one of trajectory and wind as the target gets further away. I try and try, but I can't get my usable range out to 600 yards.

I've now used my US Optics X10 out to 1250 on an 18"x30" ISPC silhouette. It was surprisingly better than what I thought.

I got the spoting scope covered. God help the man why uses a 10x scope to ID legal rams. Fish and Game has that guy on speed dial.
Thanks for the info guys. The scope is for a backup rig and because of this I don't care to sink a huge amount of money into it.

I bought a Bushnell Tactical Elite 10x40 for $200.00 to get my first rifle up and running, I plan on something better in the future, but it works for now. The Bushnell has decent glass for the price and is usually in stock. The elevation and windage adjustment knobs have a decent fell to them. Standard mildot reticle. I am new to shooting, I figured it was a nice starter scope to learn on. No paralax adjustment or illumination.

I was just at a steel range yesterday, and the guy shooting next to me had the SS fixed 10x. He had no problems ringing different sized steel targets from 200 out to 600. There was a gap from there, next targets were at 920, and guess what...he hit them too.

10x is fine for longer range, and also a hell of a lot better than 16X for when you shoot closer.

The limitation for me was on the low end. Hunting in my ao means chances are greater for 100 yds and in. So my 10x stayed at home. Doesn't soun like you will have that issue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: briggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The limitation for me was on the low end. Hunting in my ao means chances are greater for 100 yds and in. So my 10x stayed at home. Doesn't soun like you will have that issue </div></div>

Same here in Michigan, but I also hunt in Montana where open areas abound. This past season in MT I took my 3.5-10x rather than one of my high powered scopes and had no issues. I was out looking for coyote and happened upon a few doe at 1230y, a lone antelope a little under 900y and a few other deer around 600y. I looked them all over with the scope at 10x (curious like you on the power choice), only the pack of doe at 1230+ would have been less than ideal.

You didn't mention a specific budget so here's my opinion. If you're really hung up on a 10x then yes the SS is good value for the money.

If I were buying a 10x again I'd get another USO ST-10 in a heartbeat. They have tons of options but it quickly drives the price point up. Also don't forget the S&B 10x which is a great scope but the price point is just a bit higher even more.

But if you fall into the middle ground price wise look for a nice used Leupold Mk4 (or Ultra) 10x or a used USO ST-10.

But my question when looking for a hunting scope is why limit your self to a fixed power? Only asking.

I have 3 S&B PII fixed 10, 5 B&L 10X40 Tac (old stile) and 2 MST-100. I shoot at 600 with all of them no problem. I do have a hard time picking up small targets 6" at 600. I feel you will need 15-16 power for 600+. S&B makes a great 4-16 as dose NF 3.5-15. B&L just came out with one that is nice as well. Buy a high quality scope and you will recoup most of your money when you sell it later. Scopes seem to hold there value very well. The for sale section here has some great stuff at reduced prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 3 S&B PII fixed 10, 5 B&L 10X40 Tac (old stile) and 2 MST-100. I shoot at 600 with all of them no problem. I do have a hard time picking up small targets 6" at 600. I feel you will need 15-16 power for 600+. S&B makes a great 4-16 as dose NF 3.5-15. B&L just came out with one that is nice as well. Buy a high quality scope and you will recoup most of your money when you sell it later. Scopes seem to hold there value very well. The for sale section here has some great stuff at reduced prices. </div></div>

Bausch and Lomb?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You didn't mention a specific budget so here's my opinion. If you're really hung up on a 10x then yes the SS is good value for the money.

If I were buying a 10x again I'd get another USO ST-10 in a heartbeat. They have tons of options but it quickly drives the price point up. Also don't forget the S&B 10x which is a great scope but the price point is just a bit higher even more.

But if you fall into the middle ground price wise look for a nice used Leupold Mk4 (or Ultra) 10x or a used USO ST-10.

But my question when looking for a hunting scope is why limit your self to a fixed power? Only asking. </div></div>
I am by no means hung up on fixed power scopes. It seemed like there was some good glass out there for the money. I'd like to keep the price under 500. I think a better title for this topic would have been is 10x enough for 1k

I have a fixed 10x Leupold that I really like. I have used it for hunting very little....a coyote popping out at 20 yards would be an issue. The TMR recticle is nice.

How about the IOR, anyone had any experience with the IOR 10x56mm?....

I like the availability of the lower magnification when deer hunting. If you stay till dark before walking out of the blind, occassionally, you will have deer come out when you are leaving and the lower mag will allow a little more light where you can distinguish what exactly walked out.

10x is OK for 1,000m but a little more mag is nice. Also, I'd want to be able to dial down the mag a little for hunting closer range and movers.
A variable 3-15x or 4-16x is a little more expensive, but worth the cost IMO.