• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed 4X Scope

HOGGHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Rivesville, WV
I just ordered a new LH Ruger Hawkeye African model. The cartridge is 375 Ruger. I am going to put a fixed 4X scope on the rifle. I have been looking at a couple of scopes. One is the Zeiss Conquest 4X, the other is a S&B fixed 4X. Both are one inch tubed models. And are 4X32 in size. The S&B is about 2-1/2 times more than the Zeiss Conquest. Is it worth the difference?? I have had one S&B scope, but it was 15 years ago. I can afford the S&B, so price is not the biggest issue. However will I really be gaining alot with the S&B?? Any other high quality fixed 4X scopes?? My mind is set on 4X, so please do not recommend any variables. Hopefully I will be using this rig in Africa in a couple of more years. And I plan on putting a lot of cast bullets through this puppy in the next couple of years.

I do have a Zeiss West German straight 6X, one inch tube scopes(sitting on top an H&K 91) that I bought about 25 years ago. I thought it might also make a great scope. But I think I really want to go with a 4X.

Any input on the Leupold fixed 4X?? Thanks, Tom.

Re: Fixed 4X Scope

Tom: I have an Alaskan in 375 Ruger. Have not put a scope on it yet but like you, will probably go with a fixed 4x. Mine has the 20" barrel is a real thumper; whatever glass we go with will have to be solid to stand up to the recoil. I have done some research on this and always come back to Leupold; custom 'smiths like Charlie Sisk, and Kenny Jarrett say the 2.5x compact and 4x are the only models that they have seen stand up to extended use on the big mags....

I had a Leupy 4X on my Ruger Tropical 458 Win and it worked fine, but I only shot it a few dozen times before my hunting days ended due to health problems.

Neil at CameraLand had to go and put a 6X42 on their closeout list today. I really wanted a 4X. But for the price he sold the 6X for I could not pass it up. This is my second 6X Zeiss scope. This one is a little different than the one I have, but it should work just fine. Tom.