• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed mag swfa still the go to?

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Bellville, Tx
    Looking for a fairly cheap but reliable scope just for the purpose of load development on rifles that normally have lpvo's, and red dots and for use as a known good scope/mount in the event I need to troubleshoot accuracy issues. It will sit on the shelf most of the time.

I'm thinking a 16 or 20x. Any other scopes I should be looking at?

I shot local PRS matches with the fixed 20x last year. Mine is a little dim/grey but it is dead reliable and tracks perfectly. I hear the glass can vary quite a bit. For just plinking or load development or a cheap backup it's awesome. I will never get rid of mine

Reactions: 1J04
    First 16x I looked through was so cloudy it was useless.

Returned under the understanding that they could send a clear one or a refund, their choice.
    The new one is usable, but still not close to the 10x.

Reactions: 1J04
    For me, the SWFA 12x hits the magnification sweet spot for 100 yard target shooting. Noticeably clearer/brighter than the 16 or 20.

This. 10x and 12x are the way to go. The scopes just don’t have the glass quality for 16x and 20x, I’ve had both of those too and they were super dark and very fatiguing on the eyes.

It always surprises me the love that SWFA scopes get. About 4 years ago I ordered 2 after reading all of the reviews- a 16 and a 20x. As soon as a got them I was disappointed in the glass and the eye box. I mounted one of them up (don't remember which one) on a 223 and went to sight it in. Even with such a soft shooting gun it was very difficult to keep a sight picture- the slightest movement and it just went black. Didn't even bother sighting it in, pulled it off the gun and sent them both back. The only good thing I can say about those scopes was the coating was tough- because they told me they wouldn't take them back if they had been mounted- and the rings didn't leave a mark.

I also figured out how they have such good ratings... I reviewed both of the scopes with negative reviews- and they never published them. That's one way to keep the ratings up!

I know that they make some good ones, lots of people are happy with them. But they have to be very inconsistent because the 2 that I got were junk and I wont gamble on them again.

I’ve owned most of the powers they sell, I still have 12x’s on several guns. They’re decent budget options, but I wasn’t a fan of any of the 16’s or higher I’ve owned. 12x is the sweet spot for these.

Reactions: Bender
    SmartDonkey, have you looked through a 6, 10 or 12 power SWFA? if you haven't, you might understand why the consensus about them is so favorable, particularly at their price point. They're not anywhere close to alpha glass, but they are very functional and a great value.

The 16 and 20x is not the power to judge them by.
    10x is superb 12x is second in line

Reactions: Bender
    I've had a 10x and 12x, both surprisingly good for the price. The 12x even worked REALLY well w/ clip-on NV which shocked me. If only they would offer a 10x and 12x with EBR-7C style reticle w/o a big price jump. They would sell so many it would be obscene.

There are a lot of us with SWFA SS "I wish's", and have been for a while.

Stuff like,

"I wish they would offer lower profile knobs"

"I wish they would offer a hunter model"

"I wish they would cap the windage"

"I wish they would offer a tooless reset or a zero stop"

Etc

Etc

Etc

Either they sell well enough that SWFA DGAF, or to make big-ish changes would cost monies, and its better off to just keep the current design since its mostly "not broke, don't fix" scenario. Whichever it is, there are now enough others scopes on the market that offer better glass, same great tracking, and more features for not that much more money.

There are a lot of us with SWFA SS "I wish's", and have been for a while.

Stuff like,

"I wish they would offer lower profile knobs"

"I wish they would offer a hunter model"

"I wish they would cap the windage"

"I wish they would offer a tooless reset or a zero stop"

Etc

Etc

Etc

Either they sell well enough that SWFA DGAF, or to make big-ish changes would cost monies, and its better off to just keep the current design since its mostly "not broke, don't fix" scenario. Whichever it is, there are now enough others scopes on the market that offer better glass, same great tracking, and more features for not that much more money.

I just looked at the SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope and it's priced at $1499.95. For that price there are a lot of choices out there.

They were on sale for black Friday for about 1K.And at that price they are a worth it.Just need to keep your eyes open for another sale.