• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fixed or folder

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
looking for a knife with good durability to carry around the ranch, want something good quailty so i dont break it but not to pretty that im afriad to use it.

i am in Texas as well home of the NFA and interesting knife laws so keep that in mind in case I ever carry it

Re: Fixed or folder

Another thing to consider is do you want another thing on your belt, or do you prefer in the pocket?

A fixed will most likely be stronger and longer if you choose. Also easier to clean.

A folder will be roughly 1/2 the size when folded. You can also wear a sheath on your belt and carry it that way or clip it in your pocket. Personnaly I prefer a folder - a Benchmade 520. Just my personal preference, but it's an overbuilt tank of a knife with aluminum scales that works well bare handed or with gloves. The axis lock is a thing of beauty, and it will open as fast or faster than an auto with a little practice.

Im starting to think folder so I can easily but it in a bag and carry it. No reason not to have 2 knives though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No reason not to have 2 knives though.</div></div>
I think you're on the right track here. In the grand scheme of things, knives (of an acceptable quality for most things) are not that expensive. I'm sure you can spend as much money as you want on knives, but I mean for the average guy, you should be able to get into a decent folder & fixed-blade for somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 - $200, I would think.

I prefer fixed on my belt but its an Alaskan thing. Also carried fixed on my shoulder strap and climbing harness. The ease of use, blade is ready, the strength and safety I prefer fixed. Here in KY I would not consider carrying a fixed on my belt so I carry folder.

Too many brands. I like Kbar, my brother took my dads from WWII he brought home but ever since I got to use it as a youngin, I like them. I will say his and those of today do not compare. Had Gerber on active.

Fixed: Bark River (flavor of your choice) or ESEE (flavor of choice)

Folders: (I like a 4" blade or abouts)
I usually carry a Spyderco Military and it is a great knife. Light, thin, tough (tip not super strong though).. but it's a folder.

I recently picked up a Cold Steel Recon1 folder and let me say I am impressed. It's only like $60 but built super tough with a strong lockback design. Still semi-light and beefy blade. There are some very impressive abuse videos on YouTube that show the durablity. For $60 it may be a good design for your needs. You don't have to spend a ton to get a good knife these days.

Good luck.

I agree carry both... there are some fantastic folders out there.

I take to the folder first due to its size and easy of use however the fixed blade is always there in case i need some serious leverage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MP15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personnaly I prefer a folder - a Benchmade 520. Just my personal preference, but it's an overbuilt tank of a knife with aluminum scales that works well bare handed or with gloves. The axis lock is a thing of beauty, and it will open as fast or faster than an auto with a little practice. </div></div>

Been carrying a 520 for most of this year. It's a great knife and has been used for just about everything. I do like the fact that a relatively large folder can be carried with a lower profile than the same size fixed blade.

If I am going out into the woods I still prefer a fixed blade, however I usually carry both.

Application dependant of course--but I am sure gonna say go for two. I have a load of knives, for most hunting encounters, field dressing, cutting up bread, steak etc. I like my fixed blade du jour....I've ALWAYS got a folder close at hand, except when flying commercial--

The recommendaton on the Cold Steel RECON folder is a good one, it is a stout piece.

Fixed blades are all over the place, but your local Walmart will have a decent buck or kabar most likely, one thing to consider would be a Kydex sheath for a ranch use fixed, easy to clean. A little off the beaten path, Google Helle knives--awesome steel, I have several fixed--don't know if they make a folder, but kinda unique, and still reasonable if you like em a little different.

Good luck on your choice(s)!