• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed Parrallax Scopes...how far?

HairyDemon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2013
San Antonio, TX
I have always been interested in the MK4 2.5-8x36 scope and I am building a 308AR and I can get one for a really good deal from Leupold Mil/LE discount. I like their compact size, and look and I think they just really fit good one those type of guns. Now I shoot my 1-4x scopes on my .223 AR's constantly to 500 and they have no parallax, and 500 is about the extent I normally can shoot on regular basis. But I hope to find a longer range soon and I would like to be able to shoot this rifle to 800-900meters. Would I be hampered by not being able to adjust my parallax?

I understand I can get a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 with parallax adjustment as well as a MK4 3.5-10, but nothing is as compact and if you look at the actual magnification specs for the mk4 2.5-8 it is essentially a 3-9.

Not looking for a scope recommendation, just if anyone has shot to beyond 500-1000+ with a fixed parrallax scope or can help me out.

I have shot out to 1190 with an IOR 2.5-10 fixed parallax. I have played around with parallax on other optics and it seems there started to be distortion in anything over 10 power.

I think the thinking behind the scopes with fixed parallax is this.. Long range, parallax has a much smaller effect that short range because it's not as sensitive. Then they probably figure if your hunting short range, it's obviously big enough of a target that the maximum of an inch here or there isn't a big deal.

Just my best guess. As long as you don't need extreme accuracy, fixed parallax is just fine.

Leupold says it is MR/T for Mid Range/Tactical I think it says 50-700 meters and that is about what I want out the gun, but it would be nice to not have to upgrade optics if I wanted to shoot past that.

I'm no optician but in my experience, parallax error is usually worse when you're aiming at something closer than your parallax is focused for rather than the other way around. For example, if you have a scope with a 100 yard fixed parallax, the error will be more apparent at 50 yards than it will be at 200-400yards or so. Also, Parallax error is more apparent at high magnification, e.g. above 10x.

About 600 yards is the furthest I've pushed a fixed parallax scope. Keep a consistent cheek weld and you probably won't even notice it. You may, on the other hand, get a head ache if you spend too much time in the glass because you will never have both the reticle and the target in sharp focus unless your target is at the same distance as your parallax focus. It's not bad at 10x or below, but one or the other will be a bit fuzzy. I focus on my reticles so it's always the target that is fuzzy.

Like I said above, keep a consistent cheek weld and it won't be a problem.

Last edited:
I have shot up to 1000 yards with a fixed parallax scope (Bushnell Elite 10x40 mil/mil). I actually shot this scope at 500/600/800/1000 yesterday on my new Grendel upper. For me, the lack of parallax adjustment becomes really noticeable/bothersome at 800-1000 yds. I will be replacing the temporary Bushnell soon with an SWFA 3-15.

interesting topic. I don't have anything to add but have held off on the PST 2.5-10x because of the fixed parallax so far.

scope I have now has marks on the parallax knob for 50, 100, 200 and then infinity so I assumed it was a close range issue more than long...