• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fixed power for rimfire

knockemdown

suburban redneck
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2007
Hey guys, I've been bouncing a few different scopes around on the TR trainer in the search to find happiness. Next on the list is one of the new fixed power mil/mil SS scopes that are about to be released...
I'm kinda hung up between the 12x and the 16X. The 12X might be a bit brighter early & late, but I found myself shooting the other scopes at max mag. (16x) most of the time.
Just curious to know which straight power scope you'd choose for your .22 trainer & why???

Re: Fixed power for rimfire

16x, because that's what I use most often on my variable. My SS is an older 10x and I am thinking of replacing it with the new mil/mil series if they're built as well as their predecessors. I'll be getting the 16x if I do upgrade. 10x and 12x look about the same to me, obviously. Jumping to 16x isn't much different still, but helps a bit in all areas.

16X here as well... it is what I use on my trainer. I personally wouldn't pay extra for a Mil/Mil set up on my rimfire as I generally use it for hold over training anyway. But if it is the same cost as a Mil/MOA... I'd do it.

I have a 3x9 variable on my rimfires and when I cerakoted it I had taped off the power ring. Looked at it today and realized the tape was still on and the power ring has not been moved for several years.

I dont go as far as everyone else, usually stopping at 200yards so the 9x has been plenty. I grabbing another .22 and will get one of the various fixed 10x and go from there.

FYI... the lower power will come in REALLY handy if you are shooting "live" targets. The 16X is fantastic for my cruddy eyes at distance, but it does make it difficult to find a turtles head at 30 yards!! LOL!!

Punching paper 16, Hunting, no way. What do you use it for? Training for what?

One more vote for a variable if you are hunting or shooting moving stuff. I have a SS 10X HD that I am liking on my trainer right now. It is just a paper puncher, so even when I had variables on it, I only ran them between 8X and 12X. If SS had a 12X HD available, I would have given that some serious thought. If considering their original/classic line I would recommend considering the 10X or 12X. I was shooting 22 trainer at 300 yards this weekend with 10X and it didn't feel deficient to me. Maybe if I were trying to get out further I would be longing for a 16X.

Casey

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Punching paper 16, Hunting, no way. What do you use it for? Training for what? </div></div>

Prolly 95% use as a trainer rifle to work on fundamentals from 25-250yds on paper & baby steel targets. Dialing & using the reticle for holdovers & wind. Good practice and more convenient to shoot <200yd rimfire than driving hours upstate to shoot 1200yds with the centerfires. Doubtful I'd hunt with it much, 'cept for some opportunistic varmint sniping.

Thanks for the opinions, guys. Keep 'em coming!

I use 10x. Shooting downsized steel at 250 yards comes real close to the sight picture and dopes of my centerfires at about 600yds.

I put a 10x SS on my 10/22 and am happy with that. I wouldn't mind more power for spotting impacts when it gets way out there, but don't plan to change it. I've shot it out to 400 yards and could still see impacts in the dirt to correct from.