• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed Power Low Magnification Scopes.

Saracen

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2017
Hi everyone.
I'm a little odd, but I wondered if anyone enjoys using fixed power long range scopes at as long a distance as possible?
I use my 4x36 Schmidt & Bender Police / Military scope at long range on my 300 WIN MAG.

My long-range scope was a Leupold Mk 1 Ultra 16X It was part of an extra order for 50 cal. scopes used by the Navy. The lenses were glued in as the original intention was to use them on the semi-auto Barrett. The folks at Crane figured out that the Barrett kicked both ways so the scope lenses had to be protected , they were glued in. If a lens ever broke, it could not be fixed. I was lucky and used for many years with a sling at 1000 yard matches on my .300 WM bolt gun. It worked great and I didn't get sea sick watching my crosshairs. I have it on a tactical M1A.

Reactions: Saracen
I practice frequently with my M4 and 3.5x Trijicon ACOG out to 700+ yards. It is my duty set up, it gives me confidence to know what it ( and I ) are capable of.

Reactions: Saracen and Bender
a fixed 10 is about as low as I like to use for "long" range.
I've used 10X up to 1200 yards successfully.
Being rather odd, I like the idea of using the 4X at long range. I've shot out to 600 yards with 4X, and don't feel underscored.
I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can shoot accurately with a 4X.

Its mainly about knowing your reticles subtension/mil/MOA thickness, confidence in your rifle and trusting your sight picture ( best way I can describe it as it was taught to me) I first thought I needed big magnification in order to hit 800+ and then I was forced and taught to actually learn and trust my reticle, fundimentals and vola….I rarely go above 10x on most of my scopes unless I decide to aim smaller/miss smaller on challenging targets ( clay pigeons at 400+ etc)

Beware of the man with one gun, right?

So probably double beware of one power scope dudes :)

All jokes aside I would probably rather have a fixed 10x because I am so indecisive about what power to use and keep fiddling with it.