• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed power scopes.

308ftWIN

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2018
Does a fixed power scope above 6x with a useful, non Mil-Dot, non-MOA/MilQuad, non-hunting duplex reticle for quick ranging/BDC/ wind holds exist?

Feels like Recce type builds are becoming very popular, and with the proliferation of offset and piggybacked RMR s, Couldn't something like an 8x36 or 8x40 be made with a EBR-9 or a G2H donut/tree reticle, and be produced relatively tough, and lightweight with fewer moving parts.

Prisms get too heavy beyond 4x it seems. LPVO light gathering and eyebox per ounce and per dollar isn't great when you get to 8x and above.

Surprised no one has tried to fill this void.

Fixed power scopes do not save much in weight, only in complexity of the parts, which makes them cheaper, but weight wise there is not much to gain from it.
I would also love something like the 10x42 PMII with an update reticle though.

Reactions: Bakwa
Even if this could be a useful concept people have to want it before a manufacturer will consider developing it, and no one is really asking for this right now.
Most people that are interested in a setup like what you're describing are just running a LVPO and leaving it in the higher power setting, then flipping to their offset RD when necessary.
But you already know all this..

I've thought about this as well and just picked up a SWFA fixed 10 second hand and I'll be experimenting with it and an offset combination for my next DMR match. If I remember I'll post some feedback on it.

Who knows, maybe you're onto something and you're the spark that will ignite the industry with fixed medium power scopes with better reticles to run with offset RD's.

Cheers

Reactions: 308ftWIN
Fixed power scopes do not save much in weight, only in complexity of the parts, which makes them cheaper, but weight wise there is not much to gain from it.
I would also love something like the 10x42 PMII with an update reticle though.

I guess that SWFA 6x is still 20oz. You could cut down with small capped turrets and in some other places.

Their ultralight 2.5-10 is so close. Making it a fixed power and working on the eyebox a tad, it'd be a marvel.

I guess that SWFA 6x is still 20oz. You could cut down with small capped turrets and in some other places.

Their ultralight 2.5-10 is so close. Making it a fixed power and working on the eyebox a tad, it'd be a marvel.
The Ultra Light with Mil Quad would be great. For some reason SWFA doesn't want my money.

Reactions: Bakwa
there are some things that haven't been mentioned so far,
1. both fixed power scopes and variable power scopes have a set magnification where the mildest are accurate for measuring distance and trajectory changes. on variable power scopes this will be one specific power setting. you have to use this power setting to get correct data
2 fixed power - the mildots are set for the power of the scope.
3. making adjustments at the turrets can cause problems if the shooter don't remember to take into account the last adjustments made. this will cause an error in scope settings
4. using the old method of using the mildots for hold over & hold under may be a little less exact but will result in quicker multiple target engagements.
5 most shooters I have seen will dial in range settings & ind correction - then go right to the highest power to get a better point of aim on the target
6 the biggest advantage I have seen is being able to dial down to reduce mirage that is visible on higher powers

shooting out in the Nevada desert with a 8x32 scope on a 95 degree day I found that at 32power I couldn't view the shot but if I reduced the power to 15x or 16x it was not a problem.
this might present the question what is the highest power that can work best across most weather conditions to get the longest range shot possible ( from extreme cold to extreme heat )

Why would they bother building something that will only sell tens of units?

Fixed power is the past. There is zero reason not to pick up a good variable scope.

I say this as someone who has seen 1 rifle kill 3 "simple and tough" fixed power scopes only to have every variable ever mounted to it survive.