• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Fixing" a faux M1903A4

mgrs

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2018
VA
This Gibbs M1903A4 repro was a local find. For what it cost, I would have spent more trying to rebuild a sporterized example or reclaiming mail order drill rifle. I am aware that this is a reclaimed drill rifle itself. It seemed like a good guilt-free shooter for local vintage matches, hunting, whatever.

yw2iW3N.jpg

The problem is with the scope and mount. The scope (Hi Lux repro) looked usable at first, but rapidly developed significant internal debris. The mount is also a cheap reproduction, and does not fully contact the rear receiver ring. It all holds zero and groups fine, but the optic arrangement is not great.

I do not think this this particular rifle is at all worth sourcing correct parts, but I would like it to at least 'look right.' I found a nice T Post reticle Lyman Alaskan and some 7/8" parkerized vertical rings, but the front ring is tight enough in the repro base that it will not turn at all. I would have just re-used the existing Gibbs base with the rings, but the front would require a great deal of fitting to work. I'd rather not fit anything to a base that does not seem great to start with.

The rings (advertised as actual redfield parked rings, but the mold mark seems odd):

T4IBIyw.jpg

OP0LTd0.jpg

Would the best way to proceed here be to find an actual redfield 2-screw m1903a3 mount? What other identical mounts are out there?

Regardless of the above, what is the proper method for fitting these turn-in dovetail rings?

Thanks

Reactions: sandwarrior
Good advice, thanks.

I do have a set of parked rings already for the Alaskan (pictured ring set).

I had an original 03 Springfield that was converted to sniper rifle configuration. I used a Montana Vintage Arms Winchester "B" series scope and their scope blocks. The rifle has to be drilled and tapped for the scope blocks. Their products are excellent and conformed to acceptable rules for the sniper rifle competition. Since yours in a 03-A3, I recall that the Redfield one piece base was legal for competition.