• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Fixing a gouged stock?

G and R

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Central, OH
Guys, I just got this rifle in on a trade, and was not so pleasantly surprised by the damage on the stock. The original owner claims it was not there when he took it to his FFL to have it shipped to my FFL. His FFL shipped the gun in 2 used and crushed cardboard boxes taped together, without ample padding. Needless to say, I am not surprised it got damaged. How much do you guys think it would cost to fix it? What do you think is the best way to fix it? Epoxy? Bondo? It is an HS precision stock, needless to say I am not happy about this!
DSCF5312.jpg

Re: Fixing a gouged stock?

Forgot to add, the gouge is all the way down to the fiberglass matting, the bright spot you see in the photo is the matting.

I could (You could) fix that with Fibreglass matting, resin, and perhaps a little marine gel coat - not sure what the final coatings are.

If it were me, fiberglass matting, 6oz cloth over that, and plenty enough of it to get slightly higher than the original stock - then sand the shit out of it and shape it...

Fiberglass matting is a base to stick all else to - lots of sandpaper afterwards and other than the texture that could be fixed easily enough to be near invisible.

That's because I repaired this, and built it ..LOL

tublauncher.jpg

Not to take away from Scott and his years of expertise. I have that same stock. I would call HS Precision before I did anything and see what they say. Then I would contact the shipper and ask if they insured the package. ANYTIME I ship a rifle it's in a padded case. It may be wrapped in cardboard. But it's inside a padded hardcase. In my opinion, and that's all it is, the shipping FFL should man up & have it fixed by HS P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to take away from Scott and his years of expertise. I have that same stock. I would call HS Precision before I did anything and see what they say. Then I would contact the shipper and ask if they insured the package. ANYTIME I ship a rifle it's in a padded case. It may be wrapped in cardboard. But it's inside a padded hardcase. In my opinion, and that's all it is, the shipping FFL should man up & have it fixed by HS P. </div></div>

I am planning on calling HS-P on Monday. Anybody else have any opinions?

That's typical gelcoat cracked away.
Filling and sanding back to shape is no problem with devcon bedding compound or epoxy filler. Getting the colour match is the bigger problem without respray.
I would not fill with weaker automotive fillers as that position will get knocks quite often.
edi

I agree with Edi, just repair the resin coating. You could go to the hardware store and get a patch kit for fiberglass, and use the resin to fill in the bad section. It doesn't look like you are missing any fiberglass. SScott

If that is indeed gelcoat - best thing to do is just go to a marine store and get a gelcoat repair kit - NOT fiberglass - as edi said - color matching will be the hardest but again it's an easy fix...

Actually I have manned up and tried to resolve this with FEDEX since it was insured. What we have not received are pictures of the shipping container from Mr. Glock and Roll and the shipping material and rifle ended up at his house. His receiving FFL is "out of the loop" now and the barrel has been removed by his "gunsmith" as well. The claim now is that the bolt face and barrel are toast, etc. If you have any dealings with Mr. Glock and Roll I would be very careful. I personally think this whole deal is fraud and he's looking for a way to weasel out of the money owed to a very popular shooter on this forum and get a nice check from FEDEX to boot. Obviously somebody damaged the stock in some way buy I've endured two weeks of BS personal attacks when he should have been providing the info to FEDEX instead of bitching on public forums. He most likely could have had his shiny new stock by now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to take away from Scott and his years of expertise. I have that same stock. I would call HS Precision before I did anything and see what they say. Then I would contact the shipper and ask if they insured the package. ANYTIME I ship a rifle it's in a padded case. It may be wrapped in cardboard. But it's inside a padded hardcase. In my opinion, and that's all it is, the shipping FFL should man up & have it fixed by HS P.</div></div>

Some times we all make mistakes when we only get one side of the story.

Good job manning up to it and trying to get the situation taken care of. That takes guts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcsguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">now and the barrel has been removed by his "gunsmith" as well.</div></div>

I was the one who took off the barrel and checked everything over. I borescoped everything and checked the chamber and crown. Everything looked sound and as advertised, the barrel was a match barrel, the action and bolt had been blueprinted, and the bolt had contact on both lugs. I removed the barrel to check for proper measurements and to see if I could figure out where ring on the bolt nose was coming from. I filled out a blueprint sheet and documented all of the measurements and did some math to double check the clearance between the action, bolt and barrel.

I can assure you there was no mud slinging and Glock and Roll brought the rifle to me to have it checked over much like a mechanic over a used car. This is the only business I had with this transaction.

Mr. Gordon,
Thanks for the input and your report. My usage of the quotes around gunsmith in no way was meant to demean your services, but as a response to the poor treatment and personal attacks by this individual. The report that was voiced to the original rifle owner was much different and also is being used as an excuse to not finish the deal and pay up. I have also had to sort through "creative reporting" on the package condition upon arrival (open vs. sealed), pieces missing vs. in the box and am growing increasingly leary of this whole situation.

Thanks for your help and professional opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcsguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Gordon,
Thanks for the input and your report. My usage of the quotes around gunsmith in no way was meant to demean your services, but as a response to the poor treatment and personal attacks by this individual. The report that was voiced to the original rifle owner was much different and also is being used as an excuse to not finish the deal and pay up. I have also had to sort through "creative reporting" on the package condition upon arrival (open vs. sealed), pieces missing vs. in the box and am growing increasingly leary of this whole situation.

Thanks for your help and professional opinion. </div></div>

No problem, I have been in a similar position, so I understand the stress and headache.

Craig, you have no idea what you are talking about. I
have called FedEx multiple times to try and resolve this and all they claim is that someone is going to "contact" me. Tony sent me a damaged rifle and I am out a lot more than what is "owed" to him. He will get money once the damage on the gun is fixed! Look, I wasn't going to name drop anyone on here, but you are the one who is coming on here to call me out because of how unprofessional you are. The settlement between Tony and myself is between me and him. I had it checked over by a smith yesterday to make sure the gun was not toasted. I was told that the barrel showed signs of erosion and that it was not totally concentric. I was also told that the tolerances on the action, indicated by dial indicators were not indicative of quality blue printing. Claim all you want Craig, I have a damaged gun and you and Tony are doing nothing but passing responsibility. You screamed at me like a 12 year old having a temper tantrum yesterday, Im done dealing with you.

There is no fraud going on here, you can accuse me all day long, I have been accused of worse! I will not pay for damaged goods, end of story period!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock_and_roll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Tony sent me a damaged rifle and I am out a lot more than what is "owed" to him.

...I had it checked over by a smith yesterday to make sure the gun was not toasted. I was told that the barrel showed signs of erosion and that it was not totally concentric. I was also told that the tolerances on the action, indicated by dial indicators were not indicative of quality blue printing.
... I have a damaged gun and you and Tony are doing nothing but passing responsibility.

...I will not pay for damaged goods, end of story period! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
...Everything looked sound and as advertised, the barrel was a match barrel, the action and bolt had been blueprinted, and the bolt had contact on both lugs... </div></div>

HUH ????

I spoke with tony and the deal is settled. We both came to a reasonable agreement. Both parties are satisfied.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock_and_roll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You screamed at me like a 12 year old having a temper tantrum yesterday, Im done dealing with you.</div></div>

You shouldn't have hung up, I was still ranting for another few minutes. Call me back sometime and I'll use the rest of my expletives as I only made it half way through the alphabet.

When you personally attacked me and called me a thief the "professional gloves" came off and the "personal gloves" went on.

Craig, I am done arguing with you. The deal has been settled with tony. He has agreed to fix the stock via HS precision, and I have agreed to pay what we agreed once the stock gets fixed. You have done a pretty good job of making me look like an idiot, thanks. all I asked for was the damage to be fixed before I pay anything. Tony has agreed to fix the damage and I have agreed to pay once that is done. You can cancel the FedEx claim, we are settling this ourselves. I deeply apologize to both of you. I have and always had every intention of squaring up with tony once the stock was fixed. There was NEVER any intention of burning anyone, EVER. I received a damaged gun and wanted it fixed. He got the gun that I sent him as described, I didn't. Craig, I am asking you to please stop with all of these kids games, the deal has been settled fairly. I have nothing more to say in this matter...hide members feel free to say what you want, I have not and never will burn anyone!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock_and_roll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Craig, I am done arguing with you.</div></div>
No argument here I'm just enjoying the show as you crawfish out of this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock_and_roll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have done a pretty good job of making me look like an idiot, thanks.</div></div>
This didn't require much effort on my part as you handled it quite nicely yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock_and_roll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Craig, I am asking you to please stop with all of these kids games, the deal has been settled fairly.</div></div>
In the famous words of Doc Holliday: "I beg to differ, sir. You started a game we never got to finish."

I tried to apologize and settle this civilly. I don't need to crayfish my way out of anything. If you would have boxed the gun properly, it would have not been damaged. Now, YOUR customer has to pay HS P to have the stock fixed. Craig this has nothing to do with you anymore! Pictures of the box can be posted if anyone wants to see why this happened. For the sake of everyone I wanted to let this go, if you want me to tell everybody all of the story that they haven't seen, I will. There are a lot of parts being left out. You sir, are not an easy guy to deal with and you set the pace on this when you tried to blame everyone else for the damage. Why is tony stuck paying it? You caused it by packaging it like an idiot. Craig you have more to say, man up to this damage and fix it! FedEx isn't going to fix anything when they see the box.

Seeing as how tony and myself have come to an agreement on this, you are just showing your true colors by arguing. I tried to be the bigger guy and apologize for offending you. Nobody got burned in this deal it has been settled fairly. I think you should pay tony for the damages he is going to pay HS P. It certainly is not his fault and it certainly isn't mine. You boxed it like a moron. You didn't own up to anything son, you still haven't owned up to it. Tony finally owned up to it on your behalf and settled it out of his pocket. I was not going to send Tony a check until I had some insurance that the damage would be fixed. You haven't exactly proven to be a trust worthy individual, so I had to error on the side of caution. The deal has now been settled, since I have a commitment from Tony.

Guys,

Take this to a PM.

John

somebody please delete this, it has been settled and both parties involved are happy with the outcome.