• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Fixing rounded internal hex set screws?

Donut

Critical Thinker
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
Prescott, AZ
I recently realized that the set screws for my scope turrets are rounding because of crappy Allen keys. I'm worried that if I replace them, they'll probably just round again, since they only use a 1.5mm hex key.

setscrew3.jpg

So what I'm thinking of is buying some new set screws and then slotting the head and using a precision screwdriver to tighten and loosen them, which brings up the questions -

Is that a viable fix?

What size/thread do these set screws look like?

setscrew1.jpg

setscrew2.jpg

setscrew4.jpg

Re: Fixing rounded internal hex set screws?

I know this doesnt answer your question about slotting it, but are you using the right size allen wrench? If they take a 1.5mm and you are using something different, there ya go.

On the few that aren't rounded, the 1.5mm key fits dead-on. On the rounded ones, the 1/16-inch key kind of works, while the 1.5mm just spins. None of them get enough torque to properly tighten the turrets, though.

Part of it is undersized keys, I think, because I tried a set of good hex keys and the 1/16-inch didn't fit in any of the set screws, rounded or not, while the cheap ones I got from Radio Shack do...

I'm ASSuming that its tough to find a good, reliable 1.5mm hex key, which is why I'd just rather have slotted set screws.

Got a local hobby shop?

Go to the hobby shop and look for a set of Dynamite hex drivers .... they have an aluminum handle that is flat on one side to keep it from rolling off the table and IF you happen to round one of them off ... you can replace it.

DYN2904-450.jpg

i'd replace them with factory or equivalent screws and then not use the g.i. joe kung-fu grip on them when tightening them next time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'd replace them with factory or equivalent screws and then not use the <span style="font-weight: bold">g.i. joe kung-fu grip</span> on them when tightening them next time. </div></div>

+1

Nothing else needs to be said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'd replace them with factory or equivalent screws and then not use the <span style="font-weight: bold">g.i. joe kung-fu grip</span> on them when tightening them next time. </div></div>

+1

</div></div>

If it doesn't fit, you must aquit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'd replace them with factory or equivalent screws and then not use the <span style="font-weight: bold">g.i. joe kung-fu grip</span> on them when tightening them next time. </div></div>

+1

</div></div>

Well, considering that I've never been able to get proper torque on them, I'm not sure how I could have over-torqued them. I mean, rolling a 1.5mm hex key's shank between the thumb and forefinger really isn't a G.I. Joe kung-fu grip.
grin.gif

how many total scopes are owned by the people on this site? now how many of those scopes have had the turret screws stripped out? i am guessing the screws are not the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how many total scopes are owned by the people on this site? now how many of those scopes have had the turret screws stripped out? i am guessing the screws are not the problem. </div></div>

I guess Millett made an arbitrary design change, eliminating the three set screws in favor of a single, large hex screw on top of the turret. Maybe their engineers were bored?
wink.gif

Also, a lot of the older posts I've found floating around about the Millett TRS-1 mention rounding the turret screws. Combine that with a redesign of the turret attachment system, and it seems to suggest a design flaw. At least that's how I see it, anyway.

So while I appreciate you suggesting I not ham-fist the hex keys and set screws, that isn't the problem in this particular case, I assure you. I'd like to find a reliable solution to the problem, so that I can fix the issue and sell the scope in good-conscience, and go to the newer version (mainly for the Mil turrets and revolution counter, but that's beside the point).

smile.gif

I've had the same problem on a couple scopes...pretty sure it wasn't me as well.

I would recommend the torx set screws as well....
If you look at something that uses set screws alot , like<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-style: italic">replaceable carbide insert holders for machining</span>...</span>

They used to use allen set screws, but I believe almost all of them went to torx style screws because they last longer and strip less....

JMHO

Terry Cross was marketing some replacement set screws for a limited amount of popular scopes. I don't know if he still sells them, but it's worth checking out. Terry's never sold a bad product that I'm aware of and he always goes out of his way to take care of his customers.

1.5mm allen wrench - check
1.5M helper bar - check
gi joe kung fu grip - check

YOU GUYS ARE SO FUNNY...
laugh.gif

ByB donut. Good discussion, personally I look at high quality allen or torx screw/tool solutions. This sort of rounding thing, cheese hardened or weak/marginal design, happens all the time to all sorts of folks. For me that is when the the gi joe kung fu throw the thing half way across the county while creatively (if I may say so myself) describing the self abusive bestial ancestry of the engineer responsible wants to happen. Operative term being "wants".

You know some guy put up some zombie targets on the forum recently. Maybe it is time to put up some enginerd targets? Ooops, I be one...
crazy.gif

Many good suggestions. The main consideration(s) are the quality of both the screw and the tool. IMO one needs to first buy an absolutely, positively top quality set of tools, whether they be hex or torque. Next, any time you remove a screw that is at all suspect, replace it with the best quality screw you can buy. Generally speaking, you can get these at Brownells. Now my next comment is gonna make you roll your eyes, so let me qualify it a bit. I was a diesel mechanic for many years and as that I developed a fondness for a product called anti-seize compound. It is available under different names. I never install a thread in anything without a bit of this stuff. It not only prevents the threads from sticking (which is especially important when you have dissimilar metals--such as aluminum with steel, which by itself causes corrosion to develop), but more importantly it allows you to apply what I call "true torque". It reduces the friction and will not squeeze out and thus allows the screw/bolt/nut to actually reach a higher torque with less actual applied force.

Try Brownells for the screws and the driver bits. I tried to contact Terry Cross to get more torx head screws, but I haven't gotten an answer back. Forget the Radio Shack tools. Go to a major tool supplier, Mac, Snap On, come to mind. At MSC you can get Apex bits or google for the Wiha site. All much better than the Shack for tools.

Quick fix for now.If you can remove the screws dremel a slot in them and use a flat screwdriver....

Hello

I am the guy that made the change to one screw on the turret. Main reason for this is its hard to use the small screws when there is 3 of them. if you do not tighten the screws evenly the turret knob will rub the side of the turret and the small screws are easy to damage. One screw is just better system. Its captive so you cant lose it.

Allen screws are more common then the torqu screws is the main reason, plus the screw needs not be too tight. just firm.

Hope this helps

Steve

I got some new stainless set screws, and a decent 1.5mm hex wrench, and lo and behold, the old screws weren't THAT rounded. The hex hey I was using before was the big problem. Oh well, now I have nice stainless screws in the turrets, and a bag of 94 extras. LOL