• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FL sizer dies and concentricity.

vman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Australia
www.google.com
Im onto my third set of dies for .308 win.

By far the Forster dies are superior to everything else I own.

I recently broke the decapping assembly on my RCBS FL sizer, so a friend of mine purchase a new set from RCBS as a replacement as he is the one who is ultimately using it.

I took the new die set out of the box last night only to notice that this new dies decapping assembly was so out centre line that I noticed it by eye.

To make it easier to visualise if you screw your die into the press and look at the die from the bottom whilst you screw it down, any lack of concentricity will be aparent by the decapping pin spinning in circles (rather than on its axis).

Keep it mind theres a little bit of play until the die becomes locked down.

If i had of used this RCBS die not only would sizing have been very difficult, but my lapua brass would be ruined.

2 Fails for RCBS in one week. Forster now has a life long customer in me.

Its a little hard to represent this in pictures but believe me, the RCBS die is fubar.

RCBS FL Die
IMG_0892Small.jpg

Forster FL Die
IMG_0891Small.jpg

Re: FL sizer dies and concentricity.

For non bushing FL dies Forster are the best, BUTTTTT the same thing can happen to the decapper with them, it takes great care and trail n error to get the decapper perfectly straight, also the high position of Forster expander is another thing that sets them apart

I use a Lee Decapping die first, then clean them by stainless steel, and fullsize with a Redding Full-size .336 (for Lapua Brass) 'S' Die.

Fully loaded rounds runout is less than 1/2 of one thousandth (.0005) on case, neck, and ogive.

Redding decap dies here, a large and a small, covers everything I load for....most likely because I can't bring myself to run dirty brass through a perfectly good sizer die, and I like tumbling better with the primer removed. That, and decapping during sizing is just asking for runout, IME. A sizer + decap just to save some measure of "time", is, well, stupid IMO.

I size with redding FL dies with no decap/expander stem installed. Then gently bump the necks back out on an upstroke using a seperate die with a floating expander on the stem that's screwed all the way down so the case doesn't fully enter the die.

Bullets are seated with a one, two, three "bump"/twist in a Redding comp seater die.....the worst runout I've ever experienced was .003" with Rem brass, Lapua runs a thou and a half or less.

Plenty good for my needs......

my RCBS 50 bmg die is the same way , its pretty obvious , when you rotate the decapping pin assembly you can see it wobble. RCBS has a nice warranty though

Mallard, any ill effects on the brass?

I cant imagine it would be any good for it.

Vman, I'm a Forster guy too, i first started using them for my .308.
however..

When I first upgraded my dies for my 22-250 to Forster,
I ordered a neck sizer, and a FL die, the FL die's stem looks exactly
The same as your crooked rcbs stem!
The neck sizer is perfect though, which is the one I use all the time, bumping shoulders with a body die every 4th.

I still have never used the crooked FL die..
I think even the top shelf brands get a few bad apples from time to time!

For 308 I use forster Bushing bump neck die ..Its great control neck tension Bumps the shoulder back .002 minimal brass working..

the top of the stem has a rubber type crush washer and jam nut that hold tension on the stem. the stem can align with the center of the case.. The stem is FF basicaly..