• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

FL sizing die help!!!

09cs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Commiefornia
Was sizing some once fired LC 308 brass, a couple primers wouldn't pop out because of the crimps and then sizing one, and on the down stroke this happened..
ScreenShot2014-03-29at83735PM.png

Did about 20 or so with no problems before this happened. I got the case out and the rod back into the die, but is it ok to use the die? I put the rest of that brass off to the side for now and will continue (if possible) with the rest that I have. But is it ok ok to continue using this die?

What happened? Did the rod come out of the die?

I assume that the expander ball is stuck ? if so you will have to cut the case if the die won't hold it.

either take the ball out or lube the inside of the case neck

Yes the whole thing was stuck. Thankfully I was able to get the die to hold it! and get the case off!

Cool, thats why I use a decaping die and a mandrel for the necks, I take the expender and rod from the FL die
out, when resizing.
Its a extra step but well worth it.

If this came off a LEE die; degrease the decapping pin and the collet nut, bone dry. Then tighten it down good and TIGHT. Inside neck lube and that should be the end of this problem.

If this came off a LEE die; degrease the decapping pin and the collet nut, bone dry. Then tighten it down good and TIGHT. Inside neck lube and that should be the end of this problem.

Yes it was off a LEE. Just tighten the square nut on top correct???

Last edited:
I use a universal decapping die on crimped primers, I then remove the crimp from the primer pocket. I then check the primer pocket with a pin gauge, if the pin gauge enters the primer pocket the case goes in the scrap bucket and never sees the inside of a resizing die.

looseprimer005_zps7fe118e2.jpg

Yes it was off a LEE. Just tighten the square nut on top correct???

The collet nut is usually hexagonal, whatever the case, have the decapping pin even to slightly proud of the nut and tighten it down. Remember to degrease everything, as it relies on a friction fit.

The collet nut is usually hexagonal, whatever the case, have the decapping pin even to slightly proud of the nut and tighten it down. Remember to degrease everything, as it relies on a friction fit.

Hexagonal, that's the word I was looking for! lol
How tight? Finger tight? or take a pair of pliers to it tight?

I like to use a lee decapping die so that decapping doesn't interfere with sizing...the whole process is smoother for me that way. The decappers seem to work better for that purpose and you don't break pins that way.

I swapped carbide buttons into my Redding .308 FL & NK and have never had any issues. Also, it probably helps that I decap all my rifle rounds by hand. Similar methodology as KYpatriot. I'd try his route if you're keeping the Lee's, otherwise it might be time to upgrade your dies, bud!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hexagonal, that's the word I was looking for! lol
How tight? Finger tight? or take a pair of pliers to it tight?

Tighten until the threads start to smoke and then give it two more full turns.

Warning: This is King Kong Gorilla tight and not to be confused with regular Gorilla tight.
(and not to be confused with normal pressure wrench tight)

LaughingSmiley_zps51f85375.gif