• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FL Sizing with 2 steps question

repiv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
The Colony Texas
www.dallasmicro.com
I use a Redding Type S FL resizing die and currently size with 1 step from .344 to .336, yeah too much I know. So I want to start using 2 steps. If you were me would you:

1. Buy a Lee Collet Neck Sizer and size to .340 for $20

Or

2. Just bite it and buy a Redding Type S neck sizing die and bushing for about $75-$80.

Or Something else Im not thinking of?

I do have 2 Rock Chucker Presses so Im not going to just buy another bushing and swap them in and out.

Thanks

Re: FL Sizing with 2 steps question

I just started doing the same thing and I'm using a Redding bushing Neck sizer for the 1st step from .343 to .339. Also decapping in that step. Then I'm FL sizing with a Redding bushing die from .339 down to .336 (Lapua) or .332 (Win) depending on the brass I'm sizing.

I only have a single press, so I run all the brass through the neck sizer, swap to the FL die and then re-run all the brass through that again.

I think you can buy a single Redding neck die from somewhere like Midsouth Shooters for $45. The Comp neck die will be more, but for this purpose, the standard nexk die should be fine.

Redding neck die

Unless I'm forming new brass from a different caliber, I only use one step. .008" is no big deal. Just remember to lube the cases.

Save your money and your time and buy some more powder and load some more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: repiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Redding Type S FL resizing die and currently size with 1 step from .344 to .336, yeah too much I know. So I want to start using 2 steps. If you were me would you:

1. Buy a Lee Collet Neck Sizer and size to .340 for $20

Or

2. Just bite it and buy a Redding Type S neck sizing die and bushing for about $75-$80.

</div></div>

3. Buy a 0.339 bushing, about $11 in steel and about $20 in TiN

You are only 0.002 bigger (in step size) than the "typical" recommended max. If it shoots OK, just let it go.

repiv .....

What caliber are you loading that requires 2 different size neck bushings? I use a Redding S-Type FL die for reloading most of my rifle calibers. I have different neck bushings to resize ANY thickness in .30 cal brass. It makes a huge difference if you don't use the right bushing. These are the bushings I use most often:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Brass</span>:</span>
Lapua = .335"
Federal = .335"
Winchester = .332"
Remington = .334"

I shoot .308 but I remember somewhere a post about resizing more than .005 should be done in 2 steps.

Thanks for the post Victor. I have been doing it in 1 step and have had great results. I just bought some new brass and was going to go 2 step with it but maybe I wont worry about it.

I also have different size bushings but .338 is my largest. If I were to do 2 steps via changing the bushing I would use a .340 but I dont want to do that.

So the Lee Collet would be a no go then as a first step?