• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flame annealing - Is the torch little bit too much?

tstanek

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2021
Czech republic
Hi Guys,
after 2 months of the package being stuck at custom I've finnaly got my annealer. It's AGS Annealer from a guy called Stefan, based in Serbia. First of all, if anybody wants to start with flame annealing (....and yes, I know I should have bought AMP, just don't have the money....)I really recommend getting this one on E-bay. Such a friendly and kind seller / manufacturer, and the machine is brilliant, not expensive, finely made and working flawlessly.
Anyways, I'd like to ask you about the torch I was basically gifted by a friend. It's Bernzomatic TS8000 with "Jumbo nozzle" running on MAP gas. From what I've read it should be quite good quality one, as so it feels like. Althought the issue I'm thinking of when lighting it is if it's not little bit overpower for brass annealing. It produces swivel-like flame, not pencil shape and it's quite wild and hot I assume. I guess I need one with that pencil-like flame to put shoulder neck junction on the tip of the inner dark blue flame (which this one basically doesn't have). Any ideas on this? Is there maybe some tweaking or modification which could be done to the torch to shape the flame up / reduce it a bit? Thank you in advance for any input and have a nice day!
Cheers,
T.

Attachments

• tempImageNz7LXE.png
    tempImageNz7LXE.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 81
Not sure based on the picture if you can replace or need to replace the jumbo nozzle. There are a number of threads/posts on modifications to the annealeez that may have a tip listed that could possibly work better? I try and adjust mine so that the point of the blue flame is right at the neck shoulder junction. Good luck. Don't know if this link will help or not, but lots of information regardless.

Hi Guys,
after 2 months of the package being stuck at custom I've finnaly got my annealer. It's AGS Annealer from a guy called Stefan, based in Serbia. First of all, if anybody wants to start with flame annealing (....and yes, I know I should have bought AMP, just don't have the money....)I really recommend getting this one on E-bay. Such a friendly and kind seller / manufacturer, and the machine is brilliant, not expensive, finely made and working flawlessly.
Anyways, I'd like to ask you about the torch I was basically gifted by a friend. It's Bernzomatic TS8000 with "Jumbo nozzle" running on MAP gas. From what I've read it should be quite good quality one, as so it feels like. Althought the issue I'm thinking of when lighting it is if it's not little bit overpower for brass annealing. It produces swivel-like flame, not pencil shape and it's quite wild and hot I assume. I guess I need one with that pencil-like flame to put shoulder neck junction on the tip of the inner dark blue flame (which this one basically doesn't have). Any ideas on this? Is there maybe some tweaking or modification which could be done to the torch to shape the flame up / reduce it a bit? Thank you in advance for any input and have a nice day!
Cheers,
T.
I've been annealing with the TS8000 now for almost 3 yrs (.308 and 6.5 PRC brass) where I replace the pencil flame torch that came with my Annealeez. I had to change the angle of the flame so as to not burn up the drive wheels and have the flame so that when the case is in the flame, the flame bulges just past the shoulder-body junction. I do not use have the flame as full throttle, but something like at or a little above 3/4's. I do not use MAPP gas as the regulator propane works just fine. The swirl fame of the TS8000 can burn pretty hot and you'll need to figure out the size of the fame and how long to have the brass in it. I don't feel it's a good match for annealing smaller cartridges, like 223's and smaller or shorter cases as a pencil torch head would be a better one to use on them. Keep in mind that whatever is used, one needs to heat the neck and shoulder area up fast so that the lower part of the case doesn't get annealed.

Reactions: tstanek
I've been annealing with the TS8000 now for almost 3 yrs (.308 and 6.5 PRC brass) where I replace the pencil flame torch that came with my Annealeez. I had to change the angle of the flame so as to not burn up the drive wheels and have the flame so that when the case is in the flame, the flame bulges just past the shoulder-body junction. I do not use have the flame as full throttle, but something like at or a little above 3/4's. I do not use MAPP gas as the regulator propane works just fine. The swirl fame of the TS8000 can burn pretty hot and you'll need to figure out the size of the fame and how long to have the brass in it. I don't feel it's a good match for annealing smaller cartridges, like 223's and smaller or shorter cases as a pencil torch head would be a better one to use on them. Keep in mind that whatever is used, one needs to heat the neck and shoulder area up fast so that the lower part of the case doesn't get annealed.
Thanks a lot for the input! Could I kindly ask you for some pics of your setup ? That would be very helpful to have some picture about how to place the torch etc.:)

EDIT. I attached the pics below for yoz to have overall idea of annealer.

Attachments

• IMG_8791.jpeg
    IMG_8791.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Snímek obrazovky 2022-02-22 v 13.37.07.png
    Snímek obrazovky 2022-02-22 v 13.37.07.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
  • Snímek obrazovky 2022-02-22 v 13.37.59.png
    Snímek obrazovky 2022-02-22 v 13.37.59.png
    585.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I run a pencil torch on my Giraud annealer with the flame set at a blue tip. Works great. I would not use the blow torch tip shown in OP.

Hi Guys,
Cheers,
T.
Personally, in my opinion, that would make for a bad annealer torchhead. You want something with a fine tip pencil type torchhead. This video is a good example and in my opinion if you get the hotter inner blue Corona flame a little over 1 inch long and pointing where the neck meets the shoulder and damn near touching BUT not touching = perfect... all shown in this video using the "glow method" ⬇️⬇️⬇️

Thanks a lot for the input! Could I kindly ask you for some pics of your setup ? That would be very helpful to have some picture about how to place the torch etc.:)

EDIT. I attached the pics below for yoz to have overall idea of annealer.
Looks to me like your torch head will work just fine with your machine.s Here's my set up:

Annealeez.jpg
Annealeez1.jpg

Annealeez2.jpg
6.5 PRC Lapua Brass.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: tstanek
Thank you for all of the input! Really appreciated :) I did exchange the torch, It wasn't possible to do it right with the previous one. Made little "upgrade" on the setup as I had been struggling with attachment of the torch + gas bottle to the base/machine, preventing it not to move...Drill holder seems to be doing the job well so far. The first batch of annealed brass is on the pic, hoping it will go well with resizing, seating and ofc shooting. I'm gonna try to flame few 300 PRC's...
EDIT. I've attached the photo of the annealing itself, any comments / critics / hints / ... are very welcomed :) P.S. brass there is just about to fall down as the neck beginning to glow, with cycle being 5 and half seconds long

Attachments

• IMG_8800.jpeg
    IMG_8800.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8801.jpg
    IMG_8801.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Snímek obrazovky 2022-02-24 v 0.29.58.png
    Snímek obrazovky 2022-02-24 v 0.29.58.png
    1 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I will add, using Tempilaq 450 on the case body and 750 degree inside and outside the case mouth will assure you're dwell time time is accurate and not cooking the case body. Want to make sure the mouth/neck get to correct temp but not over do it. In case this has not been mentioned already.

Reactions: Old Corps 8541