• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flash hider or muzzle break?

mluning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Houston Texas USA
From yall's experience which would be better on a M4 carbine?

Is an AAC Brakeout the best of both worlds?

I'm looking to eventually put a can on my gun and I would like to go ahead and install one or the other.

Re: Flash hider or muzzle break?

Well, it all depends on what you need/want to do. Brakes work great at reducing muzzle climb, allowing for quicker follow-up shots, etc. BUT, on the downside, brakes can greatly increase noise, muzzle flash and dust/dirt signature if you are shooting prone (it all dependent on which brake you are talking about).

On the other hand, flash suppressors are great at just that...reducing or eliminating muzzle flash. This can be important in a number of situations, but isn't a necessity for many shooters who aren't fielding/deploying their rifles, using them in low-light conditions, etc.

As for the BrakeOut, I have not used one, so I can't comment on how well they work at either job (brake or FH), but all the AAC products I have used are excellent. I have several Blackout FHs that do a good job of reducing muzzle flash when I don't have a can mounted on the rifle. I have used a buddy's custom Remington 700 .308 with a Blackout brake and it was acceptable as a brake, but I have used better. Again...it really all comes down to what you want/need in a muzzle device.

Re: Flash hider or muzzle break?

gosh...i remember the last time i was next to a m4 clone suppressed,,,,at night......sometimes that unburnt poweder likes to make its self known.......