• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

flash hiders?

adrenaline junkie

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
North Missouri
I've got two AR's at the moment, Both Rock Rivers, a LAR 15 Varmint, and an LAR-8 Predator HP in 308. Both of which have target crowns.

That said, I'm looking into getting/building a third in 6.8 or 6.5G, and I'm wondering about the usefulness and function of a flash hider. I know what they do in a military/tactical function, but what about the civilian world for hunting and target shooting use? I realize that are quite a few different styles, some of which are a muzzle brake, and I know what that does. But what about a Smith Vortex? Vs. the A2 Flash hiders etc? Do they help with accuracy, or is their function for the most part a cool looking barrel thread protector?

Re: flash hiders?

The vortex will be better at suppressing flash.

If you don't need or want flash suppression then it will just be a "cool looking barrel thread protector".

AAC has flash hiders that are worth looking at as well. I believe they have one specific to 6.5, but I could be wrong.

I've used the Vortex and A2 FH's quite a bit, with no negative effect regarding accuracy (when properly installed without excessive torque).

They don't increase the noise, and they protect the crown. (Since my rifles often ride in the passenger seat of the truck with muzzle pointed down into the floor mat, crown protection is a good thing.)

If you do any shooting without hearing protection, such as when hunting, stick with flash hiders (or a plain crown). Most brakes / comps are excessively LOUD.

If you hunt thick terrain, the open-ended prongs of the Vortex tend to snag brush on occasion, where as the A2 does not.

The Vortex is easier to install if you are not equipped to properly torque on an A2. (Vortex goes on hand tight, and its' angled flutes enables it to self-tighten appropriately in the first few shots.)

Great site, the data on the flash hiders and brakes is very informative. Just picked up a Titan for my 308 seems to have scored pretty good according to the chart on that site.

have a recoil comp from Alumalite USA this guy makes all kinds of cool stuff and is reasonable to deal with!!! check him out!!!

The Vortex, in addition to acting like a thread protector, also works well during cleaning as a muzzle guide. I have one on a 308 auto and call me lazy but I pull the brush back through the bore during cleaning. The Vortex lines the brush with the bore very nicely before it reaches the crown so there's no worries about damaging the crown from cleaning. Of course, any variety of brakes/flash hiders will work this way.

Does the Vortex work well at hiding flash? Yup. Am I switching to a brake? Yup. I am finding that brakes better suite what I'm looking for and I like the ability to spot my own trace that brakes offer.

I am running a rainier XTC comp/flash hider and it works great. Its not overly loud, does great at reducing recoil, and has a flash hider for whatever reason i would ever need one. Some flash hiders such as the A2 has solid bottoms to help keep the muzzle blast from kicking up dirt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am running a rainier XTC comp/flash hider and it works great. Its not overly loud, does great at reducing recoil, and has a flash hider for whatever reason i would ever need one. Some flash hiders such as the A2 has solid bottoms to help keep the muzzle blast from kicking up dirt. </div></div>
I also run one of these but on one of my 5.56 (16") rifle. I like it alot! For the price it's all around great value in my opinion. Before deciding to try this one I spoke with a few guys that used to use the PWS FC556 in 3-gun competition and switched to the Rainier XTC. In there opinion the muzzle control is better with the same muzzle flash suppression.
Now on the other hand I enjoy the Vltor VC-1 I use on my other 5.56 (14.5") rifle also. Not as much muzzle control but alot less noise. I haven't tried either in low light. Hope too in a week or so.
Here is a video of a non flash suppressed 5.56 vs the A2 Flash hider and Vltor VC-1. Showing recoil affects and flash. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24288...SOR-COMPENSATOR (Video is on the right hand side)
For about $60 each not bad I think. There both offered in 7.62 also. Hope this helps!