• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flash Hole Deburring?

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
How necessary is this? I hate ordering stuff from Sinclair or Midway when thats the ONLY thing Im missing.

Re: Flash Hole Deburring?

It's not necessary with lapua brass,never done it.
Heard a load of horror stories about people doing it wrong,if you go mad with he tool you can enlarge the flash hole.
So if you running a load that near the limit,it could send you over.
If you lucky you my get a hard extraction,if you may damage your rifle(and your self).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington brass is punched? </div></div>

Yep.

I use a little $10 Lyman...all you want to do is make the hole perfectly round and cut off the punched brass piece that hangs inside the case. It has a stop on it so you don't over do it that you can set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How necessary is this? I hate ordering stuff from Sinclair or Midway when thats the ONLY thing Im missing. </div></div>
You can use a hand-held twist drill until you can work up an order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Heard a load of horror stories about people doing it wrong,if you go mad with he tool you can enlarge the flash hole.

</div></div>

The Sinclair Gen11 tool will prevent over doing it. The Gen 1 tool is good but you have to clean out the chips... PIA

The last batch of Remington 7-08 I got had the worst flash holes I have seen yet.
I could barely find the hole to start my Lyman (??) flash hole deburrer......good brass itherwise though.

I use a Lyman deburring tool mounted to my RCBS case prep center.

Think its a birthday thing........or he just likes pink and likes the little cake next to his name.

because of a jealous little monkey who sits high in his glass tower

The Gen II looks good, Yet another tool I NEED to have!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">because of a jealous little monkey who sits high in his glass tower </div></div>
sweet.

I find with my Win 22-250 (turned into 6XC) I end up deburring all my flash holes...got one batch it look like little mountains in there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The last batch of Remington 7-08 I got had the worst flash holes I have seen yet.
I could barely find the hole to start my Lyman (??) flash hole deburrer......good brass itherwise though. </div></div>

Same here. But it's done know so it's all good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Gen II looks good, Yet another tool I NEED to have! </div></div>

I just got one from Sinclair... its going back. That stop feature on it cuts the chamfer WAY too deep. It basically turns the entire length of the flash hole into a funnel.

The one with the caliber specific pilot is a better option. You have to trim before using it to get consistency, but it can be adjusted to a more reasonable depth. The tapered guide on the Gen II works poorly as a depth stop if you try to use it that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Gen II looks good, Yet another tool I NEED to have! </div></div>

I just got one from Sinclair... its going back. That stop feature on it cuts the chamfer WAY too deep. It basically turns the entire length of the flash hole into a funnel.
</div></div>

Yeah, that's the one I have too. It will cut a uniform camfer IF you dick around and get it adjusted right... and IF the cases are the same length and IF the webs are uniform .... too many ifs

I have the Sinclair Gen 1 & it works fine, just takes a couple quick turns, but you do have to clean the brass chips out often, Have a Gen 2 on order, it is supposed to remedy the problem with the shavings. I believe the K&M works just like the Sinclair, they index of the case web

I use the Sinclair tool - can't screw up the hole that way. I don't bother doing it to Lapua .308 brass. Deburring is part of my substantial case-prep regimen with Win and Rem brass for .300WM ELR loads, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Lyman deburring tool mounted to my RCBS case prep center. </div></div>

This is how I do it as well.

I've had some burrs that are so bad that I couldn't hold the case still, even with two hands. I do Lapua cases as well, as contrary to popular belief, they're not drilled, but formed around a mandrel and can get some schmutz around the inner edge. It's a one time deal like others have stated and I sleep better at night knowing it has been done.

Chris