• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Flat Line Seating Requirements: Please read

Dan Warner

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
I get this question a lot and want to be perfectly clear, as just bringing attention to an industry failure has caused more concern than necessary. Somehow, folks are under the impression that a special seating die is required for the Flat Line bullets. This is 100% NOT TRUE! As I have always stated, and should go without saying, that when you change bullets, or anything component wise, you should be sure that the tools used on those components work properly. Thus, we suggest you check your seating stem to be sure that it is not damaging the ogive or that the bullet tip does not bottom out. If either are the case, we are happy to fix it for you, free of charge. You need only send us your seating stem. Let me repeat: You do not need a different seating die or something different for our bullets.

I personally hadn't heard that but I'm looking forward to trying some of your flatline bullets. Good info is always appreciated thank you.

My Redding Dies worked, the Forster hit the tip on the longer bullets, but the Redding Dies worked 100%

This is all I used

p_749006223_1.jpg

Dan welcome to the Snipershide. I hope you find sucess with your products here. With your projectiles properly loaded is it generally possible to run them through a magazine or are we talking about hand feeding the rifle. I am most interested in the short action AXMC with .308 and .243 barrels but also interested in the barrett MRAD in .338 Lapua.

Depends on witch bullet you are talking about. The 30cal 160g is a mag feedable bullet, as reviewed by Frank here a couple of months ago. The 30cal 180 was designed with the intention of feeding in a 300 Win Mag. And the new 6.5 will load to mag length in any 6.5 cartridge intended for feeding. As for the 338, it all depend on what you mag length is; I know there is some variation between some of them. Typically, in the Lapua Mag, these are seated to around 4.05, but can be loaded out further than that to approach the lands in chambers cut for heavy jacketed pills. Of course, it could be seated deeper too, to accommodate a mag that is close to that. I think that most folks as single feeding this one though. Sounds like you should try all three; we are happy to provide starting load data to get you going.

I agree that most of the Flat Lines will not require a special seating stem. I did run into a problem with stem for my 7WSM. Easy fix to swap out stems to a VLD stem, but the original stem did bottom on the tip of the bullets, causing the tips to bend a touch.

For those of you who have been around a while, you'll remember when the Redding Competition Seating dies had a non-VLD Stem and would do the exact same thing to the then brand new Berger 180 VLDs.

Jeffvn

Depends on witch bullet you are talking about. The 30cal 160g is a mag feedable bullet, as reviewed by Frank here a couple of months ago. The 30cal 180 was designed with the intention of feeding in a 300 Win Mag. And the new 6.5 will load to mag length in any 6.5 cartridge intended for feeding. As for the 338, it all depend on what you mag length is; I know there is some variation between some of them. Typically, in the Lapua Mag, these are seated to around 4.05, but can be loaded out further than that to approach the lands in chambers cut for heavy jacketed pills. Of course, it could be seated deeper too, to accommodate a mag that is close to that. I think that most folks as single feeding this one though. Sounds like you should try all three; we are happy to provide starting load data to get you going.

Dan, can I get starting load data for the 256FLATLINE for a 338LM (30" bartlien w/1-9.3 twist). Load data for both Retumbo & H1000 would be a bonus if you have both, thanks so much.