• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flat Top 223 load help!

308skinner

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 23, 2006
    Indiana
    Alright guys i have a 1-9 20inch Pacnor barrel. I want to run a 60 or 55 VMAX or 55 Blitzking. What kind of powder should i use.

Re: Flat Top 223 load help!

I'm not using that weight of bullets in anything, but the ramshot.com online load guide indicates you'd be around 25 grains.

Ok guys i have tried N135 with 55vmax and one load for the 60vmax, AA2230 with 55 and and one load with the 60 vmax and it dont like them. I also have tried Benchmrk and Varget with the 55vmax. Think i should try a liter bullet like a 50 vmax?

I have had excellent luck with the Hornady 52 HPBT with BLC-2 loads. These shoot incredibly well even with LC brass.
    Same twist except in an 18" barrel.

my .2 cents
    Ken

I would pick a flat base bullet design like a berger 55 varmint, in a lighter weight as I wouldn't be looking for long range anyway with a light bullet. Also I didn't understand, did you work up loads from top to bottom of the powder range for each bullet or just
    one powder charge?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KEN-NF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had excellent luck with the Hornady 52 HPBT with BLC-2 loads. These shoot incredibly well even with LC brass.
    Same twist except in an 18" barrel.</div></div>

What load you using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would pick a flat base bullet design like a berger 55 varmint, in a lighter weight as I wouldn't be looking for long range anyway with a light bullet. Also I didn't understand, did you work up loads from top to bottom of the powder range for each bullet or just
    one powder charge? </div></div>

bigwheeler i worked my way up with just the 55gr i tried 2 loads with the 60s that my buddies use in all there rifles.

I don't know what twist your barrel is but I use 21.5 gr. of Varget & CCI 400 small rifle primer pushing a Hornady 75 gr. BTHP. I haven't chronographed it but my 1/9 twist barrel likes it. Shoots 3/4" to 5/8" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. Would probably do better if I were a better shot.

skinner,

We worked up a "pet" load for our 1-8 and 1-9 twist .223's.

23.0gr of AA2230C behing a Hornady 68gr BTHP match bullet running Win small rifle primers. Super accurate load outta our AR's and was equally accurate in our 1-9 twist .223 bolt guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the differnce between the2230 and 2230c </div></div>

Be honest with you.....don't really know. In Accurate Powders newest data, they aren't showing anything but 2230 and don't show anything for 2230C....period. We had about 16lbs of it (2 8lb kegs) and worked it up. I'd say that it is extremely close in burn rate (but don't quote me on that) and should be comparable. Maybe someone will chime in that knows for sure.

24.6 gr. of H 335 behind a 60gr. V-MAX worked well for me.
    Rifle was a RRA 16" 1/9
    Vel. 2730-2750