• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes flip up cap question

bcpdshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2011
NW Louisiana
Just got my La precision 308 and it is WOW! But is seems my figuring on the ring height was a bit off. Got the badger M40A3 .886 for mounting my F1. It has a 20 moa base and the bbl contour is M24. I should have got the 1.00s. As always it has come down to the nut cuttin on a hunt I am going on. The problem is, is that the butler creek flip up objective cap is slightly touching the bbl. If I did not have the trip happening in a week I would simply send the rings back and swap them for the 1.00. I have seen where some guys were thinning the bottom of the caps to get the clearance. I like the flip up caps for hunting because you can keep the optics covered and still able to take quick shots if needed.
Is there any flip up objective caps that screw into the threads on the objective of a 50mm f1. Did some searching online but did not have any luck. In most cases there is usually only one correct fix to a problem, in this case would be to swap rings. Just wanting to see if there was another solution that I could live with.

Re: flip up cap question

If the objective cap is just slightly touching the barrel just file it down a tad for a quick fix. Or really, just don't even worry about it for the hunt, and swap the rings after. A butler creek slightly touching your barrel won't make you miss.