• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flip up caps for a scope that dont interfere with the focus ring

USMCRUZ

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2024
Washington State
This may be a dumb question, but do they make flip up scope caps that don't interfere with the focus ring on the eyepiece. I have a vortex viper PST gen 2 5-25X50 scope. All the ones I've seen press fit over the focus ring, and looks like when you need to focus you would turn the whole flip up cap.

The diopter setting you are referring to is used to set the reticle to be clear and then you don't move it. It's not a focus ring that gets turned after that. You are confusing it with the parallax knob on the side of the scope.

you shouldn't be regularly turning the diopter. caps that cover and protect non locking diopters are nice

Reactions: nikonNUT
I agree that flipping open the cap on my Gen 2 Vortex does move the diopter ring since they don't lock. I just mark the proper setting with a paint pen and check to make sure it's in the right spot when opening.

If flipping the scope caps open moves the diopter then you are doing something wrong. The scope cap opens straight up. If you are spinning the scope cap then that's what's wrong.

Reactions: LRRPF52
I agree that flipping open the cap on my Gen 2 Vortex does move the diopter ring since they don't lock. I just mark the proper setting with a paint pen and check to make sure it's in the right spot when opening.

I just make sure that my ocular scope cap is positioned with the hinge at 12 o'clock on my non-locking diopters (any consistent point will do, but 12 is easier for me to verify).

That way if I do knock it off a little, I have a quick reference to get me back close.

My eyesight isn't good enough to discern a 3-4* difference in a diopter setting...probably different for some people.

Well, I gues flipping open horizontal is wrong then.
No you can flip them open any way you like but they flip open. They don't spin. If they are spinning the diopter when opening then you are doing something wrong. I have 4 scopes now with non locking diopters and they don't move when I open the scope caps.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Well, they don't spin, but will move quite easily. I just assumed the OP was referring to that. As @diggler1833 said, my eyesight doesn't really discern that slight 4 degree offset.

Sometimes those Butler Creek or equivalent caps don't hold on too well. Either Tenebrex or the Vortex do a good job of staying snug against the eyepiece and don't spin unless you're really wrenching on them.

Sometimes those Butler Creek or equivalent caps don't hold on too well. Either Tenebrex or the Vortex do a good job of staying snug against the eyepiece and don't spin unless you're really wrenching on them.

The original Butler Creeks yes but the Butler Creek Element caps don't as they are like the Vortex Defenders.

I set the diopter and then put a small piece of black electrical tape pinning it to the scope body, then slide and lock down my caps over top of that. have never had any problems after that, but I dont use butler creek stuff anymore either so YMMV

Reactions: Boon20
The diopter setting you are referring to is used to set the reticle to be clear and then you don't move it. It's not a focus ring that gets turned after that. You are confusing it with the parallax knob on the side of the scope.

I know what parallax is, but your right, it's been so long since I've been behind a scope. My apologies, I had a Senior Marine moment lol. You would think I never shot a rifle in my life, but I'm a pretty good shot, but its been about 15 years since I been behind a scope, and a firearm in general, because I was in Italy for a long time, and there real strict on who can own a weapon. Thanks again for all the responses. Lets try and forget this whole thread, sincerely, your local crayon eater! lol

I know what parallax is, but your right, it's been so long since I've been behind a scope. My apologies, I had a Senior Marine moment lol. You would think I never shot a rifle in my life, but I'm a pretty good shot, but its been about 15 years since I been behind a scope, and a firearm in general, because I was in Italy for a long time, and there real strict on who can own a weapon. Thanks again for all the responses. Lets try and forget this whole thread, sincerely, your local crayon eater! lol
From one senior Marine to another it’s forgotten. 😉