• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes flip up iron sight recommendations

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
Just wondering if anyone has any preferences on a particular brand of flip-up iron sights. I'm going to put them on an AR-10 mounted on a rail flat-top as a backup to the scope. I don't have any desire to spend a lot of money for a brand name but want something that's reliable and is accurate. Thanks!

Re: flip up iron sight recommendations

I have gg&g on my Ar. They work, but nothing fancey. Troy ind. makes some nice BUIS

+1 on the Troy, I really like mine.

I checked out Troy. Yikes! I'd like to keep it under $200 for a set. I need to save the money for a scope. =) Thanks for the info though.

I like Troy sights but Midwest Industries is probably the best under $200 a set like you said... Just remember with these type of things you are always going to get what you pay for in the end. IMHO.

Go with YHM, they are very good sights and will cost you alot less than Troy. MI is also very nice.

Like everyone else on here who shoots said TROY!
Best I have used. Yankey Hill ok, GG&G ok but Troys are worth the extra money. Go to Larue Tactical and see what they carry!

I forgot, if you want some cheap ass ones get the UTG ones from cheaper than dirt for around a hundred bucks for both shipped.
They have a lifetime warranty, used some on a friends gun and they weren't all that bad for the money, if money is not an issue then go with the TROYs!

I like the gg&g Mad sight but its alittle spendy. I found a cheaper verson made by MFI that seem to work fine, they just dont have the locking dent.

I'd like to toss out KAC -- they are tried and true.....

KAC are very expensive but they can be found for half the cost on GB. Just picked up a set of front and rear (300M) for my 870 last week.

Very hard to beat the 600M KAC sight as very few offer any elevation adjustment. As far as I know the only other option with elevation are Wilson Combat. Another option would be the LMT but I would only suggest those if your optic is a dot type sight and you want to have the irons co-witnessed at all times since the LMT does not fold.

I have MI on my AR and they are nice. They manually flip up, are solid when deployed, and have nice detents. I use the low pro for the rear, fits great under a scope.

The Troys and MI are good choices, but primarily as back ups for unmagnified optics (Aimpoint/eotech etc).
When looking at back ups for a scope its best to get the scope you want miunted how you want it then you will have to find a rear BUIS that will fit on the real estate left at the rear of the rail, and most importantly-under the scope.

I use KAC 300m rear as it the the best, lowest mount for me. I like my scopes about 1.2" above the rail (centerline of scope) so that's .3" lower than LaRue SPR mounts. Not a lot of room under the eyepiece of most scopes, but the KAC fits fine. I'm too low for ARMS 40L and almost all oth the others mentioned.

USO ST10 w/USO mount and KAC 300m:
jpvtac005.jpg

I'm similar to the rest of the guys runnning GG&G on the rear and Troy fronts on multiple rifles. I like everything to be the same.

Remember KAC is offering a new 600m sight. It's a bit lower profile and less expensive than the older ones. Call Casey @ Lawmans, it should be available.

I've tried quite a few - Troy, GG&G, MI, YHM. In actualy use, there is precious little difference.

The YHM seemed a little cheesy, but the rest were good. I think a same plane setup (both large and small apertures on the same plane) is worth getting.

I really like the MI SPLP rear sight (same plane low profile). Has worked well for me and is relatively inexpensive.

Link

Link to front sight

IMG_2582.jpg

On my work-issued Colt.

Check out the Magpul MBUS sights, hard to beat the price.

No matter how many times I see it, I still have to laugh whenever I see a post that translates...Buy what I bought, or be sorry!... I bought a Troy rear BUIS and the damn windage adjustment knob is so tight that I need pliers to adjust windage. I bought it because at the time, it was said to be the lowest rear BUIS out there. I bought the ARMS 40L for the rear & M.I. for the front. Four of my AR's ran this combo. My main concern is that all of my optics can mout over the top of the BUIS. My optics are 2.70" above the bore. If the Magpul set is low enough, I would check them out. I am not a combat operator, but if you don't buy what I bought, you will suffer an agonizing case of Buyer's Remorse for a decade.

I've used the Matech (found on ebay for under $70) and was happy with it. IMHO, if I'm using a scope as my primary sighting system, BUIS's are just that: the court of last resort. Besides, my eyes aren't that great any more, so it's either glass or point at the blob and pray. I've also used the ARMS 40L, which was nicer but spendier as well. Both fit my needs.

I picked up a new Matech from some guy on AR15.com for 50.00 shipped, still in the package, unopened. Seems like a pretty good sight and cowitnesses well with my Eotec 512. At least I'm happy with it.

I swear by both of my back up sights. Shown below is my A.R.M.S. #38 STD SWAN SLEEVE RAIL (raised rail w/ integral flip up rear sight). For the front sight I us the M.I. MCTAR-FFG.

ZeroDay4Apr09-02.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> No matter how many times I see it, I still have to laugh whenever I see a post that translates...Buy what I bought, or be sorry!... I bought a Troy rear BUIS and the damn windage adjustment knob is so tight that I need pliers to adjust windage. I bought it because at the time, it was said to be the lowest rear BUIS out there. I bought the ARMS 40L for the rear & M.I. for the front. Four of my AR's ran this combo. My main concern is that all of my optics can mout over the top of the BUIS. My optics are 2.70" above the bore. If the Magpul set is low enough, I would check them out. I am not a combat operator, but if you don't buy what I bought, you will suffer an agonizing case of Buyer's Remorse for a decade. </div></div>

Pliers?? and you didn't contact the company about that?

You don't need to mention that your not an operator. Your use arms buis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> No matter how many times I see it, I still have to laugh whenever I see a post that translates...Buy what I bought, or be sorry!... I bought a Troy rear BUIS and the damn windage adjustment knob is so tight that I need pliers to adjust windage. I bought it because at the time, it was said to be the lowest rear BUIS out there. I bought the ARMS 40L for the rear & M.I. for the front. Four of my AR's ran this combo. My main concern is that all of my optics can mout over the top of the BUIS. My optics are 2.70" above the bore. If the Magpul set is low enough, I would check them out. I am not a combat operator, but if you don't buy what I bought, you will suffer an agonizing case of Buyer's Remorse for a decade. </div></div>

Pliers?? and you didn't contact the company about that?

You don't need to mention that your not an operator. Your use arms buis. </div></div>No need to contact Troy with my trivial problem. I simply put the Troy sight on my child's rifle & use the ones that work correctly on my rifles.