• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Flir Breach vs NOX

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Would like to hear advice from some of the more experienced users here. I’m looking to change my setup a bit and a little torn on which way to go.

Current setup:
    PVS 14
    Handheld thermal scanner
    Weapon mounted thermal sight

This setup works pretty good but in order to scan it requires that I stop movement, remove my scanner from bino pouch, wake it up, etc.. I hunt mostly wooded areas, a few fields but I can stalk within 50yds so small native mag is great so don’t factor that in.

I’m thinking about going to a bridged nv / thermal setup which is where I’m trying to figure out the best bang for my buck.

Option 1:
    Replace my current scanner with a Flir breach that I can helmet mount. I can then scan as I go and flip it up whenever I want to get on the rifle.

This option is the most economical and gives me multiple devices in case one ever goes out. But it’s also a downgrade in thermal clarity from my current Pulsar scanner. But I use it mostly for detection and do identification with the nv or my weapon mounted anyway.

Option 2

Sell my scanner and rifle sight and get a NOX (budget would require selling). I would helmet mount it but the catch is that I’d have to put it on the rifle with the qd mount when I got ready to shoot.

This option gets me into a whole new level of thermal (using Pulsar now) but may also be a pain to swap back and forth in the dark and puts me down to one thermal unit.

What sage wisdom would you night hunters provide?

Based on your situation... Breach will be your best option.

NOX would be a huge upgrade, but hot swapping your sight will get old QUICK

Reactions: TheHorta
    Hold-over is 100% correct; I tried switching my thermal back and forth from helmet to gun for about two nights before I gave that idea up.

Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of which is why I wanted to hear from some guys who have tried it.

I could probably save up and spring for a China skeet instead of the Breach because it doesn’t look like they are getting a great rep.

I need to do more research on that option

Reactions: BamaSE
    China skeet or a used patrol or helmet mount your pulsar.

having a head mounted thermal is to me an absolute must. Far too much gets missed or pushed out going in when you’re not scanning 100 of the time

Reactions: BGE541
    Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of which is why I wanted to hear from some guys who have tried it.

I could probably save up and spring for a China skeet instead of the Breach because it doesn’t look like they are getting a great rep.

I need to do more research on that option
    This is the option I settled on for driving or stalking. It is light and the AutoNuc/internal shutter is a nice hands free option on the helmet mount. Actually got 2 so I can run duals on a KVC bridge and/or have a buddy helmet setup for when we are searching for the piggies with the buggy. Still have my Helion 2 XP50 scanner for when I am feeder watching. Don’t get to actually hunt with them till February due to our lame night hunting regs but so far just testing them walking around the farmette and at the land watching the deer I am pleased. Check the exchange or other thermal sales sites regularly for a used one. Every now and then I see one pop up with the KVC bridge included.

So this question about running a PVS and thermal at the same time came up during the vshot discussion and those guys unanimously said it doesn’t work well.

They basically said it will give you a headache and your vision never really “merges” the images.

Has that been your experience as well?

So this question about running a PVS and thermal at the same time came up during the vshot discussion and those guys unanimously said it doesn’t work well.

They basically said it will give you a headache and your vision never really “merges” the images.

My experience running thermal and NV simultaneouslyon a helmet has resulted in increased gonad diameter.

My experience running thermal and NV simultaneouslyon a helmet has resulted in increased gonad diameter.

I can’t handle that, I already had to buy a new belt when I swapped from moa to mil... I’m gonna have to go to rope if it gets any worse...

• Haha
    Reactions: squib

There is a guy on here that has some experience with it. I was set up to run a similar set up, but Flir had some fubar getting me my Breach and I am done with them. Their customer service is deplorable and their company hypocrisy with regards to the whole anti-hunting stance and anti civilian stance is unacceptable. Looks like it's gonna be trade school for my kiddo and I am headed into the land of N-vision.

I think the issue some people may have is the 2 different image shapes. It takes a few minutes for my pea/small brain to kind of ignore or look past one image when scanning.