• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision FLIR H324 Command

rwest309

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Artesia NM
Just looking for some insight into the pros and cons of this unit.

I have not used one personally but may have an opportunity to purchase one soon. It has a 2X doubler and is the 30HZ NTSC model if that matters. Any software updates, gliches, tricks, tips? Anyone use this unit? How does it stack up as far as bang for your buck performance?

Thanks in advance. Its tough to get a feel for these things when you cant lay hands on them without spending a boat load of cash. Hoping someone here has already done it and can light the path a little bit.

Are you choosing the 324 over the ps-32 for the 30htz? It's 6k vs 2.5k. I think if I was going to spend that kind of dough I'd opt for a 640x480 model. I paid less than 2k for a slightly used PS-32 and don't find the 9htz that big of deal for scanning. You just have to go a little slower as to not miss anything far away. There is also no video out, which is maybe why you need the 324.

I can get a smoking deal on a used unit. May or may not end up using the video out. I have contemplated trying some of the wireless streaming video setups mentioned on here just for fun. Mainly just trying to find out if it is a good unit or if there are any negatives aside from the price.

It's all FLIR so the quality is great. The main reason to get this series is the replaceable battery vs fixed internal. If you're going to be on an extended outing then this is more desirable.

For $5 you can get a portable USB charger in whatever flavor battery you want, so don't let the user swappable battery become an issue. I think if you can get it for $3000 than it would be worth it. Lets be honest here though... It's a thermal imager. How much are you really going to use it and why the heck would you want to broadcast that cow 300 yards out on your 63" HDTV tailgate setup.

I use mine weekly and wouldnt spend $3k on a unit with limited life fixed battery. Most would agree this is the weak link on the PS and LS line.

a little bird told me the boot up time is 90 sec on this unit. Is that correct? are the ls and ps line the same in that respect?

I pulled the trigger on this unit. It showed up yesterday. Looks like a good piece of gear for a 320X240 Core. It is actually the guardsman pro model with the full kit including a 2X lens. The unit itself seems to have 2 digital magnification settings one states 2x and the other 4x. It has black hot, white hot, a predator style pallette, and a red/yellow/orange pallette. If you do a hard shut down on the unit it takes a minute or two to wake up. It will stay in standby mode and when the power button is cycled it will come on in a few seconds from standby. It captures video and stills on an internal sd card which is cool. It came with a hot shoe that includes a power port for external power with adapters for the wall as well as a vehicle cigarette lighter. It has rechargeable batteries that are charged within the unit when it is hooked to aux power. Pretty trick unit really. I played with the rca video out and hooked it to my tv just to play around. I need to get it out in the fields and see if I can find something to shoot. All in all i am pleased. My only complaint is that it is enormous compared to the ps/ls line and its not a 640 core. Both of those things I think I can live with.