• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Flir Scion for sale @ $1000 a good deal for starting?

2252B

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I'm looking at the Flir Scion currently on sale for $1000 to get into night hunting.

Am I correct in thinking this is a good deal?

Will I be able to spot the animal, stalk in to about 100yds, pop a flashlight, identify and shoot? Or is this plan way off of being realistic?

12 um with a 320 core and a 60 Hz frame rate is actually quite good for this price point. As long as you don't want to helmet mount this unit and use it solely as a handheld device, I think you'll be happy with the performance and your plans for those device are realistic/should work.

Last edited:
12 um with a 320 core and a 60 Hz frame rate is actually quite good for this price point. As long as you don't want to helmet mount this unit and use it solely as a handheld device, I think you'll be happy with the performance.
Heck yeah it is.

That's an excellent deal. I have the same 12um 60Hz Boson core in one of their weapon sights and the image is quite good for a 320 unit and I paid close to 4k for it.

I bought one of these and ended up sending it back.

The “Hot” objects and the “Warm” objects were both the same or very similar intensity.

This makes it super hard to see say a cow in an unheated open barn, or a coyote at a tree line.

It worked fine for a cow in the middle of a snow covered field.

I tried a variety of setting and could not get it to tone down the “warm” objects enough.

I have 2 friends that have Scions. Both guys are very happy with them. They are a little heavy but not unmanageable.
BUT you really need to get the rechargeable battery pack for it. It eats cr123's like candy. They tried RCR123's (16340) and that was more affordable but you have to find the right length. Some RCR's are just a hair longer than a CR123 and two won't fit in the battery pack end to end.
BTW it takes 6 CR123's, 3 rows of 2. Do the math, the battery pack won't cost you money, it will save you money.
$999.95 is a very good deal for a decent scanner. I don't know of anything else that is as good at anywhere near that price.

I told a buddy about the 999 one and he ordered it. Then we saw the PTM model for 799. That is almost too good to be true. He is considering ordering it then returning one or the other. I don't know how or why Adorama is discounting them that much. Nobody else is. They also have them both listed on Amazon for 799 and 999.

I told a buddy about the 999 one and he ordered it. Then we saw the PTM model for 799. That is almost too good to be true. He is considering ordering it then returning one or the other. I don't know how or why Adorama is discounting them that much. Nobody else is. They also have them both listed on Amazon for 799 and 999.
It looks better on paper.

I wish I had kept some of the photos I had taken with the OTM 236. It was pretty much unusable unless a coyote was in the middle of a field. Was able to get it side by side with a hogster 35 and there was no comparison.

Once the thing started cycling off when below 10F, I sent it back.

Maybe I should call and see if they will replace it instead of refund, sounds like mine may have been a shit unit.

I just ordered the PTM 336, the deal seemed way too good and it has a better detector than the OTM 236.

Don't know much about might vision hopefully it works for seeing coyotes and coons.

FLIR is discontinuing them. Kind of goofy design that didn't sell well at all.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I have 2 friends that have Scions. Both guys are very happy with them. They are a little heavy but not unmanageable.
BUT you really need to get the rechargeable battery pack for it. It eats cr123's like candy. They tried RCR123's (16340) and that was more affordable but you have to find the right length. Some RCR's are just a hair longer than a CR123 and two won't fit in the battery pack end to end.
BTW it takes 6 CR123's, 3 rows of 2. Do the math, the battery pack won't cost you money, it will save you money.
$999.95 is a very good deal for a decent scanner. I don't know of anything else that is as good at anywhere near that price.
Do you know what kinda of detection range they have ?